NFL Officiating Scandal

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Changing rules in the middle of the season...I don't think that's supposed to happen.

Well, it wasn't in the middle of the season, but I don't know why it can't happen. It's the owners' league. They can pretty much do what they want as long as it doesn't violate the CBA.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I'm going to guess that the owners gave the go-ahead to do this, probably to try out the possible rule change. Now, it might have only been a handful of owners. I doubt there's any scandal to it.

Some gamblers may disagree although they take their own risk I guess. I'm not a fan of changing the rules, not sure if the teams knew or not but an interesting story none the less. Let's see if it grows legs.

Jenky

Reaction score
Some gamblers may disagree although they take their own risk I guess. I'm not a fan of changing the rules, not sure if the teams knew or not but an interesting story none the less. Let's see if it grows legs.

Good point. More of a reason to deem stuff like this as being corrupt.

GenoT

Reaction score
Wonder if the vote was unanimous for the pre-SB rule change? If that’s true, then no one among the owners has a gripe coming.

But if the catch rule had been necessary during the SB, can you imagine the explanation they woulda had to have made about why the rule had been changed, and went publicly unannounced, before the biggest game of the season?

diefree666

Reaction score
The fact that this is the first hint of this argues that no one but whoever decided this and those officials were the only ones that knew. The more people that know of something the faster it gets out.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Well, it wasn't in the middle of the season, but I don't know why it can't happen. It's the owners' league. They can pretty much do what they want as long as it doesn't violate the CBA.
No, there are guidelines & procedures that are supposed to be followed to enact rule changes.

Besides, its a business, there are unwritten rules about what you do & how you do it without alienating your customers.

If you choose to be fine with it, that is your choice. For me, just another step toward a vote of no confidence.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Wonder if the vote was unanimous for the pre-SB rule change? If that’s true, then no one among the owners has a gripe coming.

But if the catch rule had been necessary during the SB, can you imagine the explanation they woulda had to have made about why the rule had been changed, and went publicly unannounced, before the biggest game of the season?

Could be that the Rooney's and cousin Mara were upset about the Jesse James "no catch" and got their wishes taken care of immediately. Guess JJ doesn't have the muscle after being furious about the Dez "no catch".

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
No, there are guidelines & procedures that are supposed to be followed to enact rule changes.

Besides, its a business, there are unwritten rules about what you do & how you do it without alienating your customers.

If you choose to be fine with it, that is your choice. For me, just another step toward a vote of no confidence.

Produce these guidelines and procedures the league has to follow for rule changes. If the rules are unwritten, then they can be altered without the need to explain it. Businesses do it all the time.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Guess refs operated under different rules when Dallas played this season because those non holding calls were actually not holding.......hmmm makes sense

Yeppers, that's the real scandal. Officiating being punitive toward the "upstart" Cowboys as directed by Goodhell at the behest of the Old Guard (Mara, Rooney, et al). Don't think this didn't affect a game or two's outcome. (Not that we were advancing anywhere in the playoffs).

This is the basis for Booger's fine too.

LittleD

Reaction score
I can't believe Goodell hasn't been assassinated yet.

Really...The Owner's just love him and rewarded him with an ocean liner full of money just a few months ago. Goodell
is going to be here for a long...long time.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Really...The Owner's just love him and rewarded him with an ocean liner full of money just a few months ago. Goodell
is going to be here for a long...long time.
Who cares if the owners like him. They would like a baboon if it meant them making more money. He's awful for the game.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I don’t really beloeve anything that comes out. There is too much secrecy and underhanded crap going on behind closed doors, that nothing reported can be trusted. They could just have easily tweaked the new catch rule simply to make both of those controversial calls in the super bowl legal catches under the new rule. How can a ball that is still moving at all and not secured as you go out of bounds be considered a catch? It’s laughable but they needed the catch in the super bowl to be a catch.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
The Clement one gets me. His foot was clearly on the line and he was moving the ball.

Ertz was a TD old rule or new rule, IMO. That just seems like common sense. But Clement's TD was a joke IMO.

Yes, let’s not go here again. There was nothing controversial about it. Catch, run, cross plane