Twitter: NFL passed a proposal for 16-team playoff if certain games are unplayed

EST_1986

Reaction score
Because the 8 best teams don't necessarily reflect the largest audiences and that will have an impact. Add to that the fact that 4 of the most powerful owners in the entire NFL reside in the NFC East and that does not bode well IMO.
so were in favor of participation ribbons in the NFC East?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
so were in favor of participation ribbons in the NFC East?

If that's how you see it, that's fine with me. The League, however, will be in negotiations over a new TV deal soon and the implications of poor ratings around the playoffs are less then ideal. If you want a strong league and you want to see salaries go up, then this potential playoff rating situation could be terrible news. If you are in favor of who gets the right ribbons and you have been elected the ribbon pinner oner for the league, then I can see your point, for sure.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
This is so stupid. You know what? Just cancel the entire season right now and draft where each team lies. Sick of this maybe/maybe not garbage. Can't even get away from life with sports in 2020...am I really mad because of that or because my team stinks?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Yeah this is what it should be IMO. None of these teams deserve to be in the playoffs but I was hoping to see the Eagles win the division and get a bad pick lol.

I disagree. It's not like this is first time the winner of a division would finish with a losing record. This is rewriting the rules in the middle of the season. I'm not in favor of that.. If they want to change the playoff format the offseason is the time to do it not 9 games into the current season. I think it sets a bad precedent.

garyo1954

Reaction score
But wait......there's more!

It doesn’t make sense to move the proverbial goalposts while the season is already underway soooooo......

NFL owners approved a contingency plan for the 2020 playoffs but first took out one part of that plan that might have ended up hurting the Eagles (or whoever wins the NFC East).

The initial contingency plan if the NFL can’t have a full 17-week season included two extra playoff teams in each conference and then re-seeding those teams based on record. For the Eagles, who are in the lead in the lowly NFC East, that would have been extremely bad news.

Soooooo.....it looks like the winner of the NFC East will end up being the No. 4 seed in the NFC and host a first-round playoff game no matter what. Had the contingency plan called for re-seeding, the Eagles (or the winner of the NFC East) would have likely ended up as the eighth seed. Going from No. 4 to No. 8 and losing a home playoff game is a big deal for a lot of reasons.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nfl-playoff-contingency-plan-covid-19-nfc-east

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In a nutshell, divisional winners mean nothing. So the entire NFC East would likely miss any seeding but there are LOT of bad teams right now.

I think you completely mid-read what was posted.

NFL owners approve contingency plan to expand playoffs to 16 teams if COVID-19 causes cancellations
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...to-16-teams-if-covid-19-causes-cancellations/

There would be numerous changes if an expanded postseason contingency plan becomes necessary. Here are the key aspects of the 16-team expanded postseason:

The playoffs will expand to 16 teams only if meaningful games are canceled due to COVID-19: NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a conference call with the owners, "The resolution passed today established criteria for postseason eligibility in the event that all clubs cannot play the same number of regular season games." Any game that has an impact on the postseason is declared as "meaningful," regardless of the other team's record.

No team would would get a bye: The NFL would seed the teams 1 through 8 in each conference, with the highest-seeded team playing the lowest-seeded team (1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, 3 vs. 6, 4 vs. 5). The second round would follow the current postseason format where the highest seed remaining would play the lowest seed remaining (as an example, the No. 1 seed plays the No. 7 seed if the No. 7 upsets the No. 2 seed in the wild-card round).

Division winners would still get home games: Division winners would automatically qualify for the postseason, and would be awarded with a home game in the first round. The teams -- the four division winners plus the four best records between teams that didn't win the division -- won't be re-seeded.
---

The new policy was unanimously approved by the owners, so you know the NFC East team owners would have all opposed it if it eliminated division winners getting into the playoffs.

JayFord

Reaction score
At some point in the future theyre going to go to a best of 7 series like the nba playoffs

Motorola

Reaction score
I don’t care for half of the NFL now makes the playoffs each year. It’s silly and greed driven.
The league expanded to 14 postseason lspots for 2020 - totally unnecessary in my opinion. Now they to want further sully the playoffs with gluttonous, contrived, hokey format.
The season is halfway completed, and only a 5 or 6 games had to be postponed (don't hold me to that number being exact).

League Office needs to emphatically make a point to the franchises to remain diligent in avoiding significant\ large outbreaks. Impose heavy penalties; 7-figure fines, forfeiture of consecutive 1st round picks, or 1st 3 picks in a draft.
The holiday season starting in earnest in 10 days....this will be a stern test for the NFL to make it through Week 17.

Last edited: