Twitter: NFL passed a proposal for 16-team playoff if certain games are unplayed

Praxit

Reaction score
.....You wonder if CNN, NBC, FOX and ABC have anything to do with it?? Betcha ***, it does. Someone wants to cash in..

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Because the 8 best teams don't necessarily reflect the largest audiences and that will have an impact. Add to that the fact that 4 of the most powerful owners in the entire NFL reside in the NFC East and that does not bode well IMO.

But this resolution passed unanimously so those NFC East owners still approved this with the possibility that no NFC East teams could make the playoffs. It's also just a backup plan for this season only and not anything permanent.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
At some point in the future theyre going to go to a best of 7 series like the nba playoffs

That will never happen. There are far to many injuries for that to happen They won't even go to the best of 3 let alone 7. Here's a coupe of the big reasons it won't. The NBA plays a game and then another in two nights later and then have a travel day and then another day later they have a game. so they have 3 games in 6 days. The NFL couldn't play games 2 days apart. The NFL is far far to physical to be able to play 2 days later. It's extremely hard form them to play 4 days later when they play on a Sunday and then on Thursday. So that would mean the playoffs would go on for possibly 7 weeks for the divisional round and then 7 more weeks for the Super Bowl round and that would mean the champion would be declared after the new league year starts. The Free agency would start the next day so teams would have no time to be able to negotiate contracts with their free agents before they are free agents. A multi game playoff series in any round will never happen in the NFL.

Motorola

Reaction score
.....You wonder if CNN, NBC, FOX and ABC have anything to do with it?? Betcha ***, it does. Someone wants to cash in..
No doubt it is a collaboration between them and the NFL. Think about it:
The truncated college football season will lead to cancellation of most of the bowl games - except the ones directly connected to the CFB (College Football Playoff). These bogus additional playoff matchups will help the networks recoup some money lost from the eliminated college postseason telecasts.

Adreme

Reaction score
I am okay with it as a one off. This is a weird season where every game might not be played in the regular season and if they are not all played the NFL wants to be sure that the teams that deserved to make the playoffs get their shot.

Motorola

Reaction score
I am okay with it as a one off. This is a weird season where every game might not be played in the regular season and if they are not all played the NFL wants to be sure that the teams that deserved to make the playoffs get their shot.
If it comes down to that-- then the the league should go all in with the weird 2020 change- with these stipulations:
No teams with losing records allowed - PERIOD. If the best record posted by an NFC East team is 8-8 (or 7-7, etc.) - they don't qualify for the playoffs if there is another team - regardless of conference affiliation - has an above .500 record.
Adjust the format in both conference's setup for this.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
If that's how you see it, that's fine with me. The League, however, will be in negotiations over a new TV deal soon and the implications of poor ratings around the playoffs are less then ideal. If you want a strong league and you want to see salaries go up, then this potential playoff rating situation could be terrible news. If you are in favor of who gets the right ribbons and you have been elected the ribbon pinner oner for the league, then I can see your point, for sure.
Why would playoff ratings be low with this 16 team playoff proposal??? Where are you getting this from?

With the current virus crisis affecting the whole world, having 16 teams to watch during the NFL 2020 Season playoffs would be a big plus, in my opinion, not a negative. The NFL is offering a rare chance to see more competition during the playoffs. Big plus.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Yeah this is what it should be IMO. None of these teams deserve to be in the playoffs but I was hoping to see the Eagles win the division and get a bad pick lol.
Division winners would still get in. but they wouldn't be top seeded necessarily.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
But this resolution passed unanimously so those NFC East owners still approved this with the possibility that no NFC East teams could make the playoffs. It's also just a backup plan for this season only and not anything permanent.
Division winners still make the playoffs.

shabazz

Reaction score
All sports should have remained canceled. These “job” are not essential, just entertainment

Pure hypocrisy when these millionaires are allowed to play these games putting multiple people at risk such as the folks that work to facilitate practices, games, and transportation, etc.

Meanwhile, the businesses that are just outside the stadiums, remain closed or restricted in some form or another.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I disagree. It's not like this is first time the winner of a division would finish with a losing record. This is rewriting the rules in the middle of the season. I'm not in favor of that.. If they want to change the playoff format the offseason is the time to do it not 9 games into the current season. I think it sets a bad precedent.
It’s bad football though. These teams are bad and honestly it’s better for the NFL if these teams get premium picks than get the 19th pick.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Lets have the worst NFL team play against the best college team and see how it goes while were at it. I remember some wanting that lol.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
They all supremely suck and I know several people on more than one network. A few of them employed me at certain times of my life.
I'm not getting into it here though. This is not the place.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
All sports should have remained canceled. These “job” are not essential, just entertainment

Pure hypocrisy when these millionaires are allowed to play these games putting multiple people at risk such as the folks that work to facilitate practices, games, and transportation, etc.

Meanwhile, the businesses that are just outside the stadiums, remain closed or restricted in some form or another.
So should the NFL just stay cancelled for the next few years?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Lets have the worst NFL team play against the best college team and see how it goes while were at it. I remember some wanting that lol.
I think the college team would lose.

Reactions: G2