Twitter: NFL passed a proposal for 16-team playoff if certain games are unplayed

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Because the 8 best teams don't necessarily reflect the largest audiences and that will have an impact. Add to that the fact that 4 of the most powerful owners in the entire NFL reside in the NFC East and that does not bode well IMO.
Those owners should field better teams and the problem would be solved, imo. The NFL shouldn’t hand out charity playoff spots just because a certain team makes the league money. Just my .02 but I get what you’re saying

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
All sports should have remained canceled. These “job” are not essential, just entertainment

Pure hypocrisy when these millionaires are allowed to play these games putting multiple people at risk such as the folks that work to facilitate practices, games, and transportation, etc.

Meanwhile, the businesses that are just outside the stadiums, remain closed or restricted in some form or another.

I agree. Either keep everything closed, or open the damn country back up and let’s get back to life

Adreme

Reaction score
If it comes down to that-- then the the league should go all in with the weird 2020 change- with these stipulations:
No teams with losing records allowed - PERIOD. If the best record posted by an NFC East team is 8-8 (or 7-7, etc.) - they don't qualify for the playoffs if there is another team - regardless of conference affiliation - has an above .500 record.
Adjust the format in both conference's setup for this.

That would require completely changing the seeding format when all that is really needed is making sure that the edge case teams do not miss out when they otherwise would not have.

cowboyec

Reaction score
They all supremely suck and I know several people on more than one network. A few of them employed me at certain times of my life.
I'm not getting into it here though. This is not the place.
i would love to spend the day with you.
something tells me you know some !@#$.

Motorola

Reaction score
Lets have the worst NFL team play against the best college team and see how it goes while were at it. I remember some wanting that lol.
Way back in the 20th Century, the NFL Champions from the previous season would play a team comprised of Collegiate All-Americans \ best college players during the following summer before the NFL preseason games.
I don't recall when it started; but it ended during the late 1960's.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It’s bad football though. These teams are bad and honestly it’s better for the NFL if these teams get premium picks than get the 19th pick.
I dunno man, the Steelers are one of the best and we're one of the worst but if that was a playoff game it would have been pretty damn entertaining.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
so nothing has changed, except they are adding 2 extra teams to the playoffs in AFC and NFC. Nothing wrong with that.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
so nothing has changed, except they are adding 2 extra teams to the playoffs in AFC and NFC. Nothing wrong with that.
I agree. I get some think it will get watered down or there might be some garbage games, but if it's win or go home, I kind like the underdog atmosphere it would create.

2020 has sucked balls, needs a asterisks or should be erased. But maybe just this ONE time, it's a 32 team bracket.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
In a nutshell, divisional winners mean nothing. So the entire NFC East would likely miss any seeding but there are LOT of bad teams right now.

Jerry Jones probably led that so he could say, "Looks like we just made the playoffs boys!"

conner01

Reaction score
Why would playoff ratings be low with this 16 team playoff proposal??? Where are you getting this from?

With the current virus crisis affecting the whole world, having 16 teams to watch during the NFL 2020 Season playoffs would be a big plus, in my opinion, not a negative. The NFL is offering a rare chance to see more competition during the playoffs. Big plus.
It would mean more games, more money

garyo1954

Reaction score
Way back in the 20th Century, the NFL Champions from the previous season would play a team comprised of Collegiate All-Americans \ best college players during the following summer before the NFL preseason games.
I don't recall when it started; but it ended during the late 1960's.

Known as the Chicago Charities College All-Star Game, the contest was played every year from 1934 until 1976, with the exception of 1974, when it was canceled by an NFL players’ strike. Soldier Field hosted every game except the 1943 and 1944 games, which were played at Northwestern’s Dyche Stadium.

On July 23, 1976, the Super Bowl champion Steelers played what would become the last College All-Star Game. A horrific thunderstorm broke out in the third quarter, and video of the game has to be seen to be believed: Not only was the storm like something out of a disaster movie, but when the college team’s coach, Ara Parseghian called a timeout to try to get his players organized in the monsoon, the fans took the opportunity to storm the field. Eventually the game was called off in the third quarter, both because of lightning and because those fans on the field had torn down the goal posts and showed no signs of being willing to vacate. The Steelers led 24-0 at the time the game was called.

And that was the end of the College All-Star Game, for that year and forever. The game had come to seem pointless, as the college players really couldn’t compete with the NFL players anymore, fans were losing interest, and players were more concerned about avoiding injuries than winning the game. The plug was pulled, and what had once been a major part of the American sports year came to an end.

https://www.theretrosite.com/nfl-champs-vs-college-all-stars-1934-1976/

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I dunno man, the Steelers are one of the best and we're one of the worst but if that was a playoff game it would have been pretty damn entertaining.
It would’ve been but I’m just not sure if you’d get that performance in the playoffs. Seemed like a typical trap game for them. Came in and underestimated them.

Reactions: G2

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
Goodell will go down as one of the worst commissioners in league history when his career is done, the NFL will shrink under his leadership or lack there of.