NFL | Penn St WR Derrick Williams had meeting with Cowboys

HanD

Reaction score
pass on DWill. i've watched the kid since his high school days and while he has all the talent in the world, he's never lived up to them IMO. kid is an underachiever. #1 overall player who was lost at PSU. besides the fact that we don't need another WR on this team, we don't need a WR that has been hyped but disappeared his whole career. don't see him as ever being more than a #3 WR IMO.

why don't we give our guys a chance to hit the field. the guys we've developed for a couple years now. i'd rather play austin hurd and stanback before drafting another supposed threat. we always draft guys who can KR/PR but don't use them in that capacity for whatever reason.

Reaction score
HanD;2650052 said:
pass on DWill. i've watched the kid since his high school days and while he has all the talent in the world, he's never lived up to them IMO. kid is an underachiever. #1 overall player who was lost at PSU. besides the fact that we don't need another WR on this team, we don't need a WR that has been hyped but disappeared his whole career. don't see him as ever being more than a #3 WR IMO.

why don't we give our guys a chance to hit the field. the guys we've developed for a couple years now. i'd rather play austin hurd and stanback before drafting another supposed threat. we always draft guys who can KR/PR but don't use them in that capacity for whatever reason.

Exactly. Kid is overrated, and the only reason he got as much hype as he did was because of his father. Came in as the #1 recruit in the country, and wasn't even the best receiver on his team. Butler was, and he was a walkon.

He's got bust written all over him.

Jay

Reaction score
People are just obsessed with the glamourous positions in the NFL. We aren't losing any starters on offense, but we are losing some on defense, yet people are still pushing for us to use our first pick on a WR?

Come on.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Jay;2650143 said:
People are just obsessed with the glamourous positions in the NFL. We aren't losing any starters on offense, but we are losing some on defense, yet people are still pushing for us to use our first pick on a WR?

Come on.

There will be a need very soon for a WR. Perhaps as early as 2010.

But that's not a reason to react right now, much less with a player like this Williams fellow who looks terrible. I mean we just sacrificed the first day of the upcoming draft for a WR.

HanD

Reaction score
that's called agent spin control. i've watched the guy from high school. he is an underachiever, and wasn't the best wr on his own PSU team. his explosiveness is overrated IMO.

bpfred

Reaction score
I thought he looked great at the Senior Bowl practices. He looked fast and had great cuts. A corner could be running stride for stride with him into his cuts, and he would have 2-3 yards separation coming out of the cuts.

I was absolutely shocked at how slow he was running his 40s at the combine. And he looked bad running the gauntlet.

The question is: What is his real speed? Is there anything to the flu story?

If he's a 4.4 - 4.45 guy, then he's a first/second round talent. He would be reminiscent of a Marvin Harrison/Terry Glenn type: someone who can stretch the field and create separation with sharp cuts.

If he's a 4.6-4.7 guy, then he's a fourth/fifth round talent. More of an OJ McDuffie/Wes Welker type; a possession receiver that may be able to returns punts/kickoffs (and that's being questioned by some people). He could still be useful, and a good player, but there's no way he'll go in the second round.