CFZ NFL Player Contracts and why star players feel the need to hold out

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is a fundamental misunderstanding of NFL player contracts. Too many of us fans believe if a player signs a 4 year contract, both the owner and player are locked in together. That is simply not true. In fact, here are some truths about NFL player contracts most fans don’t understand:
  • Once the guaranteed money in an NFL contract is paid to a player, the team can cut the player BEFORE the length of the contract is completed. Obviously there are cap implications if a team cuts a player before the contract is completed but many teams still do it. In fact, here are a couple of former Cowboys marquee players who were cut before their contract years were complete:
    • Dez Bryant- in 2015, he signed a 5 year, $70 million dollar contract. He was cut in after 3 years of that deal and his guaranteed money was paid. In other words, the Cowboys didn’t pay him for 5 years. Fans don’t seem to understand this.
    • DeMarco Murray- signed a 5 year contract with the e-girls in 2015, was traded in 2016 to the titans and eventually finished his career in 2018 before his contract was complete.
    • There are several other star NFL players who were cut before their contract length was honored. Like Richard Sherman when he was in Sea, Navarro Bowman in SF also signed a multi-year contract and yet was cut before it was finished.
  • NFL teams also have financial “outs“ when it comes to a player getting hurt or underperforming their contract, while not having any responsibility to increase a player’s pay when a player overperforms their deal.
  • The NFL is the ONLY major pro sports league that does not guarantee their players contracts.
    • The NBA, NHL and MLB all have guaranteed contract for their players.
So…usually the only recourse a player has once their guaranteed money is paid is to hold out, which not only means they don’t get paid — but strongly shifts public opinion against them as the player is branded “greedy” or “not helping the team” by ownership that simply doesn’t want to pay more than is on the dotted line.

Why is Zack Martin holding out? No other pro spot, no other sports job allows for employment contracts to be torn up without paying the agreed amount and length of a contract. It’s ridiculous that owners keep requiring players in the NFL to compete without security.

Don’t fall for the verbal tricks from NFL owners. Don’t buy into their sob stories. They don’t honor the contracts they sign with players, so why criticize a player for holding out for their own protection? These billionaire owners will not be honoring their commitments and will still be raking in billions. Why fault a player for protecting themselves?

DAL1180

Reaction score
There is a fundamental misunderstanding of NFL player contracts. Too many of us fans believe if a player signs a 4 year contract, both the owner and player are locked in together. That is simply not true. In fact, here are some truths about NFL player contracts most fans don’t understand:
  • Once the guaranteed money in an NFL contract is paid to a player, the team can cut the player BEFORE the length of the contract is completed. Obviously there are cap implications if a team cuts a player before the contract is completed but many teams still do it. In fact, here are a couple of former Cowboys marquee players who were cut before their contract years were complete:
    • Dez Bryant- in 2015, he signed a 5 year, $70 million dollar contract. He was cut in after 3 years of that deal and his guaranteed money was paid. In other words, the Cowboys didn’t pay him for 5 years. Fans don’t seem to understand this.
    • DeMarco Murray- signed a 5 year contract with the e-girls in 2015, was traded in 2016 to the titans and eventually finished his career in 2018 before his contract was complete.
    • There are several other star NFL players who were cut before their contract length was honored. Like Richard Sherman when he was in Sea, Navarro Bowman in SF also signed a multi-year contract and yet was cut before it was finished.
  • NFL teams also have financial “outs“ when it comes to a player getting hurt or underperforming their contract, while not having any responsibility to increase a player’s pay when a player overperforms their deal.
  • The NFL is the ONLY major pro sports league that does not guarantee their players contracts.
So…usually the only recourse a player has once their guaranteed money is paid is to hold out, which not only means they don’t get paid — but strongly shifts public opinion against them as the player is branded “greedy” or “not helping the team” by ownership that simply doesn’t want to pay more than is on the dotted line.

Why is Zack Martin holding out? No other pro spot, no other sports job allows for employment contracts to be torn up without paying the agreed amount and length of a contract. It’s ridiculous that owners keep requiring players in the NFL to compete without security.

Don’t fall for the verbal tricks from NFL owners. Don’t buy into their sob stories. They don’t honor the contracts they sign with players, so why criticize a player for holding out for their own protection? These billionaire owners will not be honoring their commitments and will still be raking in billions. Why fault a player for protecting themselves?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Holding out only shifts the public opinion of people who wish the game was still played the way it was in 1975.

Every contemporary, thoughtful fan understands why players do it.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
The only problem I have with this whole post is

They signed the contracts.

Kirk cousins refused to play without a fully guaranteed deal, and he got one. If players want fully guaranteed contracts. Then they should refuse to sign a deal that doesn't give them fully guaranteed deals. Instead they choose to sign these deals because they give huge lump sums of signing bonuses or large guaranteed money. And then when that money runs out they hold out for a new deal if they played great, and prepare to be cut if they haven't. They know exactly what they are doing and continue to do it because they care for the money first. It isn't about respect, its about money.

And all threads like this do is try and act like this million dollar athletes who sign these contracts are the victims. As the old adage goes: It's takes two to tango, and the owners and players have been doing the tango for a long while. I have no sympathy when a team signs a player who immediately begins to suck. And I have no sympathy when a player out performs his deal and wants to cry about fair play.

John813

Reaction score
I think another thing to add is for me at least I don't support the owners when it comes to the contracts.
I do however, wish for the best deals for the team(construction), so in theory the team can retain/add talent. Jerry can go in the red for all I care.

I don't think anyone here cares about Jerry's wallet. The vibe I get is cap hits and long term impact on extending Martin. I know with restructuring the cap hits can be kept low for years, but we've seen Dallas restructure guys and it backfires due to injuries that could of been foreseen or not(a la Romo and Frederick). With Martin going into his mid 30's any deal with restructuring would have to ensure he plays for another 2-3 years depending on how much of a bump in pay he gets.

For players like Martin, they know their worth, and I don't mind him holding out. Players have the right to ask for contract modifications as so do the owners in asking for paycuts/cutting the player. Martin knows he's still a very valuable player and is trying to secure his last payday. We'll see how long this lingers.

Jerry talking about having to pay Parsons is hilarious now as he's not even eligible to be extended this offseason.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Kirk cousins refused to play without a fully guaranteed deal, and he got one. If players want fully guaranteed contracts. Then they should refuse to sign a deal that doesn't give them fully guaranteed deals. Instead they choose to sign these deals because they give huge lump sums of signing bonuses or large guaranteed money. And then when that money runs out they hold out for a new deal if they played great, and prepare to be cut if they haven't. They know exactly what they are doing and continue to do it because they care for the money first. It isn't about respect, its about money.

And all threads like this do is try and act like this million dollar athletes who sign these contracts are the victims. As the old adage goes: It's takes two to tango, and the owners and players have been doing the tango for a long while. I have no sympathy when a team signs a player who immediately begins to suck. And I have no sympathy when a player out performs his deal and wants to cry about fair play.
”Fully guaranteed“ in the NFL is misleading. In the other sports, both the dollar amounts and the length of the contract is honored. In the NFL, only the amount of money is honored by teams. So for example, despite Cousins’ “guaranteed money” contract being spread over 5 years, once the team pays the guaranteed amount they can cut him- potentially BEFORE the years are up.

Therefore, saying a player should “honor” the contract they sign- shouldn’t that go both ways? The owners often aren’t sticking to their end of the deal.

Praxit

Reaction score

..Interesting take, dargon. I seem to see it your way, as well. The trend now, is player holding out for the big paycheck. Fame/spotlight is their guarantee. Regardless of cap, loyalty, camaraderie etc..

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score

Great thread and post.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
..Interesting take, dargon. I seem to see it your way, as well. The trend now, is player holding out for the big paycheck. Fame/spotlight is their guarantee. Regardless of cap, loyalty, camaraderie etc..
That’s not why NFL players hold out. They hold out because they know the owners do NOT have to honor the length of the contract the player signs. Look at Dez B’s contract. In 2015 he signed a 5 year contract $70 million- worth $14 mil a season. But once the Cowboys paid him his “guaranteed amount“ (less than $70 mil) they cut him in 2018.

Now I was not upset that Dez was released. But technically, he was released BEFORE his contract was up. Did the Cowboys honor his contract? No, not in terms of the years since he only played in 3 of the 5 yr contract he signed.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Well done Bob!!

One of best ever informative subject threads .

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
”Fully guaranteed“ in the NFL is misleading. In the other sports, both the dollar amounts and the length of the contract is honored. In the NFL, only the amount of money is honored by teams. So for example, despite Cousins’ “guaranteed money” contract being spread over 5 years, once the team pays the guaranteed amount they can cut him- potentially BEFORE the years are up.

Therefore, saying a player should “honor” the contract they sign- shouldn’t that go both ways? The owners often aren’t sticking to their end of the deal.
This is just word nonsense. This isn't new, the players know what they are signing. They know exactly what they are doing. The players choose to sacrifice long term commitment for money. The players have twice negotiated a CBA in the last 15 years, and still they don't have guaranteed contracts as. Other sports do, at some point its time to stop blaming the owners for doing exactly what they've been doing since the cap started, and start questioning why the players keep signing these contracts that are so awful.

Praxit

Reaction score
That’s not why NFL players hold out. They hold out because they know the owners do NOT have to honor the length of the contract the player signs. Look at Dez B’s contract. In 2015 he signed a 5 year contract $70 million- worth $14 mil a season. But once the Cowboys paid him his “guaranteed amount“ (less than $70 mil) they cut him in 2018.

Now I was not upset that Dez was released. But technically, he was released BEFORE his contract was up. Did the Cowboys honor his contract? No, not in terms of the years since he only played in 3 of the 5 yr contract he signed.
... I think Dez brought that situation upon himself. Remember? His ego, became kryptonite to the team. Otherwise, I saw him finishing out his contract here.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Martins cap hit this year is about 11 million. Next year it’s over 23 million which tells me he will be released in 2024. Which probably fuels his incentive to get a deal done this year. It’s also incentive for FO to get a deal done unless moving on next year is part of the plan.

The guaranteed money of his contract has already been met. I’ll attach the numbers below. But it all fits into what Bob has presented.

https://overthecap.com/player/zack-martin/2955

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is just word nonsense. This isn't new, the players know what they are signing. They know exactly what they are doing. The players choose to sacrifice long term commitment for money. The players have twice negotiated a CBA in the last 15 years, and still they don't have guaranteed contracts as. Other sports do, at some point its time to stop blaming the owners for doing exactly what they've been doing since the cap started, and start questioning why the players keep signing these contracts that are so awful.
The players don’t really have much choice with these non guaranteed contracts at end and why they take these huge signing bonuses which helps the teams manage the cap with very low hits in early years of contract.

It’s all part of doing business in NFL. The bigger point though is that after these guarantees are met teams can release players near end of contracts which is cause for players wanting to renegotiate.

And why players shouldn’t be presented as bad guys not wanting to ride out end of contract. It goes both ways which is Bobs point here.

glimmerman

Reaction score
These agents only care about the money. They play hardball. The players hire them and set back and do what they tell them. Elliot holding out 2 years early to get a contract. D-Law holding out on shoulder surgery for a contract. Both hurt their team by not being there.

Bottom line is it’s about guaranteed money. I wish they would guarantee all contracts. They blow the numbers up when they usually they don’t get the over blown amount. Good players may get extended or restructured.