NFL Power Rankings: Cowboys get major boost from 2020 Draft

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
WRs do tend to start slowly at times so I am torn here.
Cobb was productive but had A LOT of drops, a couple fumbles and probably was given too many targets because Cooper wasn't 100% healthy.

All in all I think Lamb is a substantially better player very quickly. Cobb had a rough few years before blowing up in this offense.
I really liked Cobb.

He was like looking in a dumpster and finding an iphone.

A free upgrade at $5 mil.

Gonna miss him.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
WRs do tend to start slowly at times so I am torn here.
Cobb was productive but had A LOT of drops, a couple fumbles and probably was given too many targets because Cooper wasn't 100% healthy.

All in all I think Lamb is a substantially better player very quickly. Cobb had a rough few years before blowing up in this offense.

4 big things in his favor:

1. He is polished, and with all world confidence
2. He is coming onto a team with weapons everywhere, doenst have a lot of pressure, and will see single coverage most of the time. Teams have the running game to worry about also.
3. MM and Moore will being working overtime to incorporate him into the offense.
4. Most of the time he will be working over the middle of the field. Dak's favorite place.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Dallas is dumb. They need to approach their FA to be a year before they become free. IF the guy wants too much money, you trade him. If the two sides can meet in the middle, you sign him and probably for a little less than what you would have by waiting until the week before he is free.

Cowboys seem to think that the tags are some kind of big bargaining threat for them.

No way should Jones been able to just walk free with no compensation.

Yep! That's what makes the Patriots so smart and sustains their dynasty (of course, with a little help from Brady). They know when to move on from players. So they'll ship them before they hit the end of their contracts, and with the draft pick they acquire for trading the player, they retool.

The problem with the Cowboys, in my opinion, is that they have a "one player away" mentality. So they keep almost all of their players until they reach the end of their contracts because they think if they acquire just one more player, everything else is in place for a Super Bowl trip. If the Cowboys knew by 2018 they weren't going to keep Byron Jones, they should have shipped him off for a second-round pick, at the very least. Don't way until his contract is done. Move him out and find his replacement in the 2019 draft.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yep! That's what makes the Patriots so smart and sustains their dynasty (of course, with a little help from Brady). They know when to move on from players. So they'll ship them before they hit the end of their contracts, and with the draft pick they acquire for trading the player, they retool.

The problem with the Cowboys, in my opinion, is that they have a "one player away" mentality. So they keep almost all of their players until they reach the end of their contracts because they think if they acquire just one more player, everything else is in place for a Super Bowl trip. If the Cowboys knew by 2018 they weren't going to keep Byron Jones, they should have shipped him off for a second-round pick, at the very least. Don't way until his contract is done. Move him out and find his replacement in the 2019 draft.

Yep...…….Jones always thinks we are going to the SB. And in the middle of the seasons he always thinks we can sneak in at the end and have a Giants type season and win it all.

A good GM weighs the team and makes these kind of tough decisions.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s dumb to move up four slots into the top ten based solely on draft differential. Ranking teams this way is fun, but it’s stupid.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
La-la-la-la...

I think she is up and shaving in the bathroom.

:angry:
I said Fat Lady, not Bearded Lady. She got up to pee and went back to bed, she'll sleep until camp starts but might open one eye with the last round of FA signings. Then players will get injured, thereby impacting the power rankings.

Preseason power rankings remind me of when PHL assembled the dream team, a 16-0 team if there ever was one. And that was based on vet players that could play. In this draft, there will be busts and surprises and a preseason power ranking is like predicting a pick was a mistake or a steal.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yep. This time last year I had us as 11-5/12-4 based on our apparent talent. Got excited at 3-0. :(

I had us at 10-6 and also excited after a good 3-0 start where Dak was throwing TD's at a career high pace.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s dumb to move up four slots into the top ten based solely on draft differential. Ranking teams this way is fun, but it’s stupid.
IMO, fun and stupid are often synonymous and it does give us something else to argue about. It's matched by giving out draft grades now.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IMO, fun and stupid are often synonymous and it does give us something else to argue about. It's matched by giving out draft grades now.

Yeah, I get that. Just do long as we’re clear that it’s pretty dumb.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, I get that. Just do long as we’re clear that it’s pretty dumb.
Idgit, it's pretty clear that most of the stuff we argue about is dumb. We need Dumb Rankings on some of them. I think I've been a contributor to several #1's!

Kwyn

Reaction score
1. KC
2. SF
3. BAL
4. NO
5. TEN
6. BUF
7. DALLAS
8. GB
9. IND
10. MIN

14. PHIL
28. NYG
31. WAS
I’m a Cowboy homer, but 8th? On a team whose defense didn’t make substantial improvements?

An 8-8 team that missed the playoffs finds themselves ranked below a 13-3 team that went to the NFC Championship game and a 10-6 playoff team that beat the Saints to go to the Divisional round

That doesn’t even touch on the fact that the team won our own division in a year that they were decimated by injuries

For those who like to say the media hates on the Cowboys, there’s no doubt in my mind that we often get way more benefit of the doubt than most teams.

Looks like some Cowboy fans involved in these power rankings

Kwyn

Reaction score
Cowboys move up four to seventh.

How about them Cowboys? Jerry Jones and company did excellent work in the draft, finding value up and down the board. It might not have been the plan to select a wide receiver in the first round, but Dallas didn't expect CeeDee Lamb to still be on the board at No. 17. Question: Would the 'Boys have re-signed Amari Cooper to that massive contract if they knew Lamb was going to fall to them? We'll never know, but we do know that Lamb joins Cooper and Michael Gallup to form one of the most talented wide receiver groups in football. Elsewhere, Dallas added depth and starting options at offensive line, defensive line and cornerback. This feels like your NFC East favorite.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...kings-cowboys-get-major-boost-from-2020-draft

I don’t even have us 7th in the NFC

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Cowboys move up four to seventh.

How about them Cowboys? Jerry Jones and company did excellent work in the draft, finding value up and down the board. It might not have been the plan to select a wide receiver in the first round, but Dallas didn't expect CeeDee Lamb to still be on the board at No. 17. Question: Would the 'Boys have re-signed Amari Cooper to that massive contract if they knew Lamb was going to fall to them? We'll never know, but we do know that Lamb joins Cooper and Michael Gallup to form one of the most talented wide receiver groups in football. Elsewhere, Dallas added depth and starting options at offensive line, defensive line and cornerback. This feels like your NFC East favorite.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...kings-cowboys-get-major-boost-from-2020-draft
Everytime I see stuff like this..

I can't help but think the talking heads are just setting up future storylines, like..

News Flash

Cowboys promote Jerrah to OC. Fire Moore over food fight in the team cafeteria.

News at 11.

You know..self edifying junk they can debate until the cows come home.