NFL Power Rankings Differ On Dallas

T-RO

Reaction score
You are what your record reflects. All that other bull**** is irrelevant. Wins and losses is all that matters.

Power rankings are as dumb as draft grades at the end of the draft.

This is not college football ranking don't mean .... to me.

Dallas and Giants came into Thanksgiving both 7-3. Exact Same record, but not close to same caliber. Dallas was favored by 9 or 10 points! Down deep everyone knew Cowboys were way, way better and despite losing turnover battle and penalty count...it was a comfortable win.

Teams are absolutely not just what their record says.

Analysts and pundits are usually better in predicting future outcomes because they look at wins, losses but also:
-Strength-of-schedule,
-Historical data on coaches, players
-Point differential
-Injury situation
-trend-lines
-etc

I'm extremely surprised at the anger/disgust against power rankings in this thread. It's as if someone with a power ranking threatens to steal your pumpkin pie!? :confused:

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't opinions? That's all the silly power rankings are and totally useless except for discussion. There will be one team standing at the top of all of those power rankings in the end.

pancakeman

Reaction score
Don't opinions? That's all the silly power rankings are and totally useless except for discussion. There will be one team standing at the top of all of those power rankings in the end.
Uh, isn’t that what the OP is doing with them here?

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Thee only thing these rankings are good for is press clippings . I wished they all had the team out of the top 10. You can bet when these guys have a little spare time some of them are reading their own clippings and then eating the cheese. Then they stand around in the locker room trying to feed the cheese to their teammates. It's poison and takes the edge off.

Look how the team looked at Minny a week after taking a big dump at Lambeau. Then the next game after destroying Minny they come out against the NYG who have 7-8 missing starters off of an already marginally talented team and look flat, and going through the motions and look like something that fell out of the south end of a northbound cow in the 1st half.

So I wish the 'Boys were always ranked low, very low ! And the Philthy team high, very high (because there are always players taking the bait/nibbling the cheese).

Otherwise, as has been so eloquently said here throughout this thread, these "rankings" are as useless as tits on a boar hog.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Only thing that matters is if you are #1 in February. But at least by then you have all the data to rank the rest.

Sydla

Reaction score
NFL.com's Dan Hanzus
Dallas #3

PFF
Dallas #5

Football Outsiders
Dallas #2

Rich Eisen
Dallas #3

Walter Football
Dallas #5

Who do you trust? Whattya got?

I mean every one here is a Top 5 ranking. Are we really quibbling at this point over where we are really the 5th best team or the 3rd? Seems pretty consistent rankings to me.

Sydla

Reaction score
Frankly all things being equal I think the Cowboys and 49ers are the two best teams in the NFC. Both have really good defenses, both can run the rock. Weird to think that neither of them might win their divisions. I think in last year's matchup the Cowboys RB1 and LT1 being gimpy and the QB lacking confidence in the calf in his plant foot tipped the scales in favor of the 49ers. Hopefully the football gods grant the Cowboys better health if there is a rematch.

Until proven otherwise, Philly is the best team in the NFC. Why people are pooping on their 9-1 record is puzzling.

Until they start losing more games (hopefully starting tonight) and/or we beat them in Dallas in a few weeks, they are the favorite in the NFC.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Dallas and Giants came into Thanksgiving both 7-3. Exact Same record, but not close to same caliber. Dallas was favored by 9 or 10 points! Down deep everyone knew Cowboys were way, way better and despite losing turnover battle and penalty count...it was a comfortable win.

Teams are absolutely not just what their record says.

Analysts and pundits are usually better in predicting future outcomes because they look at wins, losses but also:
-Strength-of-schedule,
-Historical data on coaches, players
-Point differential
-Injury situation
-trend-lines
-etc

I'm extremely surprised at the anger/disgust against power rankings in this thread. It's as if someone with a power ranking threatens to steal your pumpkin pie!? :confused:

It is ironic how fans get high and mighty about power rankings because they are opinions, yet they take so serious that last armchair QB thread that went 20 pages on just opinions. :muttley:

T-RO

Reaction score
It is ironic how fans get high and mighty about power rankings because they are opinions, yet they take so serious that last armchair QB thread that went 20 pages on just opinions. :muttley:

So true. We are funny creatures, aren't we?

visionary

Reaction score
Don’t care
On our day we can beat anybody in the NFC
Our biggest liability is run defense so we can also lose to Philly or SF

Amarillofan82

Reaction score
I think we rank are tied at the 6th spot with the Dolphins, but could easily be in the 4 spot.

Chiefs
Eagles
Bills
49ers
Ravens
Cowboys/Dolphins
Vikings
Titans
Seahawks
Bucs
Giants

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Amen.. this aint the NCAA.. nobody is voting you into the playoffs and nobody is voting you a champion. Everything will be earned on the field. These rankings aren't worth the electrons used to transmit them over the internet.
Just like hydrogen - 99% empty space.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Until proven otherwise, Philly is the best team in the NFC. Why people are pooping on their 9-1 record is puzzling.

Until they start losing more games (hopefully starting tonight) and/or we beat them in Dallas in a few weeks, they are the favorite in the NFC.

They can be the favorite till the cows come home but IMHO they are not better than the Cowboys or the 49ers. As I said when we played them, they are a gimmick offense that will be found out little by little as the season wears on and teams get more film on it. Their defense is good not great and the ease with which they stopped the Cowboys passing attack with Cooper Rush will not be in their favor the next time around. If indeed the Cowboys have figured out their run defense issues they will boat race the Eagles on Christmas Eve.

TheHerd

Reaction score
KC, SF, Philly, Buffalo, Dallas. SF will have the #1 scoring defense in the league after this week. Philly is 9-1 and just because they laid one egg they aren’t a top team now? Did we forget our GB game?

Rankings don’t matter because the trends get to play it out on the field.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Which is why we’re discussing it here. Doesn’t matter one bit toward the eventually champion. But this forum is all about discussion, isn’t it?

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
KC, SF, Philly, Buffalo, Dallas. SF will have the #1 scoring defense in the league after this week. Philly is 9-1 and just because they laid one egg they aren’t a top team now? Did we forget our GB game?

Rankings don’t matter because the trends get to play it out on the field.
As we see with Cleveland and Jacksonville tonight.