NFL proposes 18 game schedule

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Idiotic.
Do you get to pick what games your QB misses?
All it will do is water down the NFL even further.

If I was a casual fan, it might seem fun because of the risk, strategy and luck of things. But as a fan, I don't want the shenanigans.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But do they really? I think their primary focus is to promote parity across the league to ensure all markets have hope each year. 32 markets that all have hope means more fan spending. So in this case they can easily argue that 'the situation is the same for all teams, so what's the harm?' Not saying I agree...just saying this is how I would view their take on it.

We may as well get used to this. The almighty dollar is behind this (as we all realize). Whatever will make more money will, more than likely, happen.
They really do CLAIM it, but you are right that they promote parity. Still, they could actually claim parity creates more competition. This plan would actually make a rule that prohibits teams from putting out the most competitive team they can.

Swanny

Reaction score
The requirement of 16 game limit per player is to attempt to prevent "load management" NBA style. The NFLPA shouldn't agree to minimum 16 game per player, if any sport requires "load management" it is the NFL. These guys take a BEATING!
The nflpa should agree to this. This creates more jobs while not putting more damage to a players body. I have always been against an 18 game schedule. I already think the NFL has over saturated the market. But I think this proposal is a great proposal for the NFLPA.

Londonboy

Reaction score
They really do CLAIM it, but you are right that they promote parity. Still, they could actually claim parity creates more competition. This plan would actually make a rule that prohibits teams from putting out the most competitive team they can.
I know how I'll feel if the eagles are playing a must win game that could end Our season and their opponents perfectly healthy star players are sitting on the bench in street clothes.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I suggest resting our starters in Foxborough and at New Orleans. Our two most losable games on schedule.

Unless they are resting Brady and Brees. Wonder how far ahead teams will have to announce who’s playing?

So much strategy involved with this Mickey Mouse proposal. Farewell NFL as we’ve known it. Lol

StuckMojo

Reaction score
I would like to see it stay just like it is including the playoffs format!

DuncanIso

Reaction score
This is exactly what I had predicted they would do. It is in fact the perfect compromise. I definitely feel that this will get done.

Yes.

The NFL needs to scale its product.

16 regular season games is not enough.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes.

The NFL needs to scale its product.

16 regular season games is not enough.

I agree. The demand is clearly there. And I think the league realizes that their current season is simply too short. As it stands now, you've got meaningful football for less than half the year, while baseball, basketball, and hockey seasons seem never-ending. With an 18-game season and say two bye weeks for each team spaced throughout, you would have a solid 20-week season in total which is essentially 5 months, add in the playoffs and Super Bowl, and that gives fans half the year of football. For a fan like me that is only interested in football, I would be thrilled to get more of it.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
How will this affect fantasy football players? Someone think of the fantasy football team owners and how they would suffer.

Londonboy

Reaction score
I think We'll end up with 1 less PS game,17 games and an extra bye week, teams playing on Thanksgiving will get 1 of their 2 byes on the preceding Sunday.
The League gets to stretch the season by 2 TV weeks, the players get an extra week to rest and an end to playing 3 games in 7 or 8 days around T Day, but 1 extra game to play.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I'm guessing "seek" is Zeke, but any formula that has top players sitting out key games in week 17 is idiotic. If it's an 18 game schedule, it's an 18 game schedule.

When did pro athletes start being made out of glass, needing excessive rest and "load management" while making more money than ever? What goes on in the NBA is a joke. Let's not be eager to send the NFL down the same path.
you dont see what this is about? The owners really want more games, the owners really dont want to get sued again, the owners can hardly preach in court about allof the changes to the game they have made in the name of safety and then add more games..... that will cause them to lose in court. This allows them more games and keeps them from losing in court in future law suits because the individual player still only plays 16 games.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
wed be expanding our rosters also.

What if the decision to sit an important skill player is done like announcing the game inactives? I don't play fantasy football, but I'm curious about how players sitting out two games affects your game rosters.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I doubt that too. But I’m just saying, I personally don’t think the idea of two extra games, is worth it, if you’re forcing star players to sit out in them. Even with that being spread out. I would be interested to hear a TV execs opinion on that and if they feel the same.
I think QBs are likely the only ones to impact TV much, and then it would depend on who they were sitting against. I don't like the idea of going to 18, period. Sure I'd love more football, but 16 is enough and a limit is dumb. Maybe 18 games if they did 3 bye weeks would be okay.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
What if the decision to sit an important skill player is done like announcing the game inactives? I don't play fantasy football, but I'm curious about how players sitting out two games affects your game rosters.
you simply wouldnt be able to play said player. Fantasy team rosters would likely be expanded to deal with more games and players sitting out multiple weeks. Fantasy teams have a team just like the real team. You insert players x,y, and z into your lineup each week. If player X were not playing that week, youd need to insert a different player in his place.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I think it gives owners their increase. The players don’t have to play more. And league records remain valid and intact. But rosters HAVE to increase.
owners are not going to allow much of a roster expansion, it would eat up the extra money they are looking to make off this.
I wish they would go to a bye week scenario where in middle of season, after game 8, 16 teams have a week off, and then the next week
the other 16 have the week off.

That way all teams get a bye week in the middle of the season, when they need it, and it is all done and over in 2 weeks.