NFL proposes 18 game schedule

Reid1boys

Reaction score
IDK, what if your fighting for a playoff spot in the last 2 weeks of the season and your key players have already played the allotted games, you would go into key match ups at less than full strength.
And too damn bad for you. I love the extra drama and decision making of coaches of when they should be sitting players. There is nothing I do not like about this.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think they also need to update how they determine how many people are watching the games. People who stream through reddit or other means, are still being exposed to the broadcast put out by the networks and the commercials. Since the streamers don’t have their own cameras filming the game.

I think the way they determine ratings is outdated and doesn’t capture the streamers though. So I think when all is said and done. More People are still being exposed to the commercials being broadcast by fox, cbs, etc.

I recently participate in a Nielsen survey and there was barely any questions about the entertainment and media I consume online through apps on my phone for instance. It was all based on traditional TV, radio and newspaper.
I understand but it comes down to how many viewers can the Networks guarantee from traditional providers. Online doesn’t count. That’s a separate entity the NFL will need to negotiate with like they already are with Yahoo for example.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The proposal is for all players to only play a max of 16 games. Nowhere was more pay for players proposed.
Players get a set % of revenues. 18 games on tvmeans more revenue, which means more cash for players. It’s not complicated.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
This is just a bad compromise for two unnecessary games. Tell me, what's a good game to not let my starting QB play? What about kicker? This is besides what you brought up. Are they going to expand the roster? Because now along with injuries we'll have players not eligible to play. It's dangerously close to a gimmick.

Besides money, what is the purpose of the extra two games? Do we not see everything we need to see about the teams after 16 games? It's bad enough having a crap season, but do we need to see 4-14 teams? Or a 9-9 Cowboys team?
Uhmmmyeah. These teams are so close, a team that scrapes in th eplayigffs at 10 and 8 could still win. A sb.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Naïve? The owners are a bunch of greedy people. If they cared about this proposal being fair they wouldn't be proposing the 16 game limitation for players. They are trying to maximize profits without increasing the money they pay players. If you can't see that then it's you that is being naïve.
Do you get how it works? They would obviously increase roster sizes. Players get a percentage of revenues. Period!

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The good news is the owners realize the preseason exhibition games are a missed opportunity for additional revenue with the new TV contracts coming up which with viewership down as alternate means online compete for the public to view is vital to the NFL not ending up with a smaller piece of the pie.

There’s a possibility without adding 2 games to the schedule the league could for the 1st time in NFL history have to settle for a smaller contract with the networks. Which of course means a smaller share for the players as well assuming their sharing percentage stays the same.

Always follow the money trail Cowboy fans.
Viewership is not down... don’t kid yourself. People are watching differently, but viewership is at an all time high.... never doubt that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Viewership is not down... don’t kid yourself. People are watching differently, but viewership is at an all time high.... never doubt that.
I understand but not thru traditional providers which is how the Network contracts are negotiated.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I would be shocked if the networks paid less too.

Then again, I would be curious to see how network execs would feel about paying for these additional games. I don’t know how enticing two extra games, where the star players aren’t all playing, is incredibly exciting to them. Though I could be wrong.
So you telling me if the cowboys are in week 17 and in a playoff battle, and seek is sitting in week 17 you aren’t watching? Man, you are so full of ****.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
So you telling me if the cowboys are in week 17 and in a playoff battle, and seek is sitting in week 17 you aren’t watching? Man, you are so full of ****.

I'm guessing "seek" is Zeke, but any formula that has top players sitting out key games in week 17 is idiotic. If it's an 18 game schedule, it's an 18 game schedule.

When did pro athletes start being made out of glass, needing excessive rest and "load management" while making more money than ever? What goes on in the NBA is a joke. Let's not be eager to send the NFL down the same path.

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
IDK. Imagine we need the Eagles to lose against the Patriots and they will sit Brady that game. But the game against us the Pats come out in full force.

Silverstar

Reaction score
Just make it 18 games with 12 minute quarters for regular season games, then go back to 15 minute quarters for playoff games.

:popcorn:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Players get a set % of revenues. 18 games on tvmeans more revenue, which means more cash for players. It’s not complicated.
The set % of revenues is locked at 16 games per season until a new CBA supersedes the current one which does not expire until 2021. That's 3 seasons away. What about that is complicated? There is no adding of two games until at least then.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s idiotic. So, 2 games each year Brady can’t play. 2 game Rodgers can’t play. Same for Brees, Watt, Roethlesberger, Zeke, etc. how can the league claim to promote competition and then create a system that prevents teams competing at their best every week?

mcmvp

Reaction score
That’s idiotic. So, 2 games each year Brady can’t play. 2 game Rodgers can’t play. Same for Brees, Watt, Roethlesberger, Zeke, etc. how can the league claim to promote competition and then create a system that prevents teams competing at their best every week?

But do they really? I think their primary focus is to promote parity across the league to ensure all markets have hope each year. 32 markets that all have hope means more fan spending. So in this case they can easily argue that 'the situation is the same for all teams, so what's the harm?' Not saying I agree...just saying this is how I would view their take on it.

We may as well get used to this. The almighty dollar is behind this (as we all realize). Whatever will make more money will, more than likely, happen.

HungryLion

Reaction score

1. I never said I wouldn’t watch.
2. There is a difference between fans who are so dedicated they post on messageboards like this one and casual fans. More casual fans might not watch a whole game, that’s earlier in the season, if a backup QB is playing for instance.

Anyway, I’m not a huge fan of the proposal that requires teams to sit players for 2 games. If they are going to do 18 games. I would rather they just expand rosters a good amount, so that teams can rotate players and players can play less snaps each game.

Jipper

Reaction score
it will never happen with sitting players for two gsmes for one simple reason....it will screw with fantasy football too much

the NFL has gained more viewership though fantasy football then anywhere else...they have to know this is a starting point but not a valid solution

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Ridiculous gimmicky stupid idea. Lets get our QB killed because we have to sit starting OL or can’t run the ball because we have to sit our starting RB. It is crap ideas and changes like this that make you wake up and realize it’s not even the same game anymore that you grew up watching and fell in love with. Here’s a much better idea. Pick any year between 1970 and 1999 at random and go back to that rule book and the way the games were officiated and the game will endure forever. This current path of constant ridiculous changes will lead to one of three options. No NFL at all, an insignificant league very few care about, or robot/android players.

Londonboy

Reaction score
Feel free to correct Me, but I've never heard of any sports league, in any Country, that limits the number of games a perfectly healthy player can be picked to play by His or Her team.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I wonder if this was Jerry’s idea ? Lol

Goodell did place him as the front man in negotiating with NFLPA.