NFL Ratings Down 16% in the Playoffs from a Year Ago

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Media giants will take loss leaders to build a brand....like Verizon and Fox

The “TNF” package had been shared by NBC and CBS the past two seasons, but the deal expired at the end of this season. NBC and CBS combined to pay $900 million in the previous two-year deal.

According to the report, CBS and NBC are seeking to retain the package at a lower price despite losing money and seeing a waning interest from advertisers.

Viewership on CBS for its five games, according to SBJ, fell 4 percent this past season from the year before. NBC witnessed a 21 percent decline from its first season in the two-year

http://www.lindyssports.com/nfl/art...tedly-bids-on-thursday-night-football/465170/
They have two reasons to justify retaining it. It is still the number one in the demo on that night and they can offset the expense with the promo capabilities NFL games offer.

The kink is what do the owners want? They're not in the business of backing up on anything. They look at their business as one without a ceiling. And those players are used to a cap increase annually. That's what drives the salaries up on FA's when there are too few of them.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He didn't say the NFL lost revenue. He said the stations broadcasting games did. That has to do with makegoods due to poor ratings.
Yep, it's an inventory yield issue and they have to deliver the points based on what they promised based on the rate. Or charge less which will not happen, if management wants to keep their jobs.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It all still comes back to the same thing. They either don't know what the exact problem is and therefore how to address that or they do and can't fix it.

First it's the debate then the protests but when both subsided viewers did not return.

I still say the game itself is flawed, both from a rules standpoint regarding what the hell is a catch and a dumb point of the foul PI penalty when that's all judgement and from the games having too many pauses in the action. The flow of a NFL game is counter to the average attention span today. The fixes within the game and on the perimeter, ads, is not one they want to address. In fact, when you read about the things they're considering with reviews, it is going to get worse. They're consumed with this "get it right" thinking. It's always had some wrong in it, it's only human.

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
It’s cute to me the the nfl thought re-allowing celebrations was going to help. The game itself is going downhill with Gooddell at the helm
NFL apparently bleeding revenue with Goodell at the helm, yet the owners overwhelmingly throw their support behind him. Doesn't make sense, huh?

Haimerej

Reaction score
This is the part I find hilarious about the whole thing. No matter what people think about it, it's totally sign of the times that people who complain about others being "offended at everything" and that they can't express themselves how they want because of PC culture ruling the day are then "offended" themselves when someone expresses themselves in a non-PC way they happen to not agree with. It's like make up your minds already. Pick a principle and stick to it no matter the wind direction, lol.

You're really comparing apples and oranges. It's not the protest so much as the means by which the protest was carried out.

Consider Greg. He hates Jerry. But would he agree with a protest against Jerry that involved defacing a statue of Landry? People can be sympathetic to the actual cause yet disagree with the means used to grab attention.

HardBlitz

Reaction score
Maybe and this is just a thought if they would stop blatantly helping certain teams win ( Patriots, Steelers, Giants and Packers ) with the help of the refs year in and year out we the fans wouldn't stop watching.

When is the last time we had a NFL playoffs that you can honestly say the refs didn't totally favor one team or another in any game?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
You think a fringe group of foot-stamping drama queens (if they're even really following through) are solely responsible for any ratings drop?
Nice strawman

No one said 'solely' but you

But it was a very large factor

Keep burying your head in the sand and we will keep winning

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
one of the big things that is wrong with the nfl is officiating and the perception that games are changed or calls made to get a specific outcome the league desires that hurts a sports league alos the games are way to long and the product on the field is really bad and they way to many bad games on tv

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're really comparing apples and oranges. It's not the protest so much as the means by which the protest was carried out.

Consider Greg. He hates Jerry. But would he agree with a protest against Jerry that involved defacing a statue of Landry? People can be sympathetic to the actual cause yet disagree with the means used to grab attention.
Well said. Few argued they had a right to be upset but the means didn't fit.

One thing I did disagree with was Kaepernick catching all the heat. He quietly sat for the anthem before anyone noticed and it was the media that decided to make it a thang. The very nets needing all the eyes they could get were directing them to something having nothing to do with the game.

His problem was a simple one. If he had to explain what he was protesting and qualify it, he was already in trouble. However, what he is given credit for starting has had some positive to it because dialogues were opened and people started to think about possible solutions. A positive born out of a negative. They should lift that blackball on him.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
They have two reasons to justify retaining it. It is still the number one in the demo on that night and they can offset the expense with the promo capabilities NFL games offer.
That is why I said 'Loss Leader' .....but it won't work for long at those prices

Verizon paid 4.5billion for yahoo and now 2.5b over 5 years to stream in market NFL games over devices and phones

It is ton for a terrible service...........sports over streaming is ugly and who wants to watch a game on their 5" phone..... maybe if you are stuck on a bus or at work but that is too much money for a fringe service

CBS and NBC are asking for a huge discount for Thurs NF.........ABC and TNT didn't even bid ....only Fox wants to spend some of that Disney money to build the brand like FS1 and FS2

But the 20% ratings drop is not helping anyone

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Well said. Few argued they had a right to be upset but the means didn't fit.

One thing I did disagree with was Kaepernick catching all the heat. He quietly sat for the anthem before anyone noticed and it was the media that decided to make it a thang. The very nets needing all the eyes they could get were directing them to something having nothing to do with the game.

His problem was a simple one. If he had to explain what he was protesting and qualify it, he was already in trouble. However, what he is given credit for starting has had some positive to it because dialogues were opened and people started to think about possible solutions. A positive born out of a negative. They should lift that blackball on him.
BS....he changed his stance, literally a couple times before he got noticed...... at first he wasn't in uniform and was just sitting on the bench... then he went full kneel with the giant afro...then came the PIG socks

It is 100% on Kaepernick

He meant to offend White America, the Police and the Military and it worked

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

MarcusRock

Reaction score

I get what you're trying to say here but I think vandalism is the apples and oranges example here. The means by which the protest was carried out was not disallowed by public or private corporate laws. It was just unpopular. If it's not disallowed by law then why would any group need to seek out an "approved means" to do so?

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Nice strawman

No one said 'solely' but you

But it was a very large factor

Keep burying your head in the sand and we will keep winning

You accuse me of burying my head in the sand, yet don't quote my entire post that shows how much "winning" your side was spectator to? Now I get to break out the "cool story."

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is why I said 'Loss Leader' .....but it won't work for long at those prices

Verizon paid 4.5billion for yahoo and now 2.5b over 5 years to stream in market NFL games over devices and phones

It is ton for a terrible service...........sports over streaming is ugly and who wants to watch a game on their 5" phone..... maybe if you are stuck on a bus or at work but that is too much money for a fringe service

CBS and NBC are asking for a huge discount for Thurs NF.........ABC and TNT didn't even bid ....only Fox wants to spend some of that Disney money to build the brand like FS1 and FS2

But the 20% ratings drop is not helping anyone
Agree and that is why CBS and NBC balked when the price jumped significantly and the Pres of NBC used "fiscal responsibility" as his reason, a very good one. But not good enough.

I was in radio and it is identical to TV in that it is not all about the money. The bragging rights and cleaning the other guy's clock matters. However, you've got to have shareholders or an owner that agrees with that.

And the value of promoting other programming to the largest audience of the day is hard to fix a value on. That was the reason FOX went so hard at the NFL when the opening was there and they used it more than the others but CBS caught up.

Friend of mine was the VP of National Sales for NBC for many years and still has his contacts within the organization. He said while there is no definitive way to count the recycles from football to other programs, they can tie increased and decreased tune in to general numbers.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get what you're trying to say here but I think vandalism is the apples and oranges example here. The means by which the protest was carried out was not disallowed by public or private corporate laws. It was just unpopular. If it's not disallowed by law then why would any group need to seek out an "approved means" to do so?
Actually, the protest, kneeling or sitting, is contrary to the rules laid out by the NFL as to "anthem protocol" on the sideline. But, Goodell wisely chose not to enforce it and create more of a storm. He caught some heat for that but we don't know when he knew as the white commissioner of a league that is 70% African American.

My bottom line on this entire thing is the same as everything else blown up. Who in the hell cared what these players did during the anthem, they're not representing America. Everything has to be such a big deal that what should be isn't any longer.

Haimerej

Reaction score

Ok, bad example... what about the crucifix in the urine jar? Or unflattering representations of any religion? Those are peaceful protests that aren't breaking laws (under some governments) yet they're disrespectful and hinder communication.

As an aside, peaceful protests can still break laws. But the point is essentially the action chosen was inherently disrespectful. Sure, that gets attention but not necessarily the kind of attention you want.