NFL Ratings Down 16% in the Playoffs from a Year Ago

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LMAO this topic has been ongoing for near half a year and is not isolated. Board policy is to not bump old threads but it is the same discussion nonetheless. I even refer to said discussion with the people I am discussing it with here in this one.
But it is now about the playoffs and the SB so it has evolved.

It is just a strike back. They're not going to suffer, the rich seldom do, especially when being helped by the government. It is just wishful thinking that they will pay for screwing up the game with their greed.

The NFL is like the mafia, bigger than US Steel.

DFWJC

Reaction score
TV ratings are down pretty much across the board. Less people are watching TV and more people are online and on their phone. It's a cultural trend.
Yes, I'm aware of that.
I was just curious about other sports comparatively speaking.
Was not sure if the NBA ratings are down this year or not. Or if they are, is it by as much as a the NFL.
Same for college football.

Given the technology trends, I'd assume standard TV ratings are down for all.to some degree.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
But it is now about the playoffs and the SB so it has evolved.

It is just a strike back. They're not going to suffer, the rich seldom do, especially when being helped by the government. It is just wishful thinking that they will pay for screwing up the game with their greed.

The NFL is like the mafia, bigger than US Steel.

The NFL is actually quite a bit like Carnegie Steel and similar robber barons in how they do business. Fortunately, they have to bargain with their workers and not work against the public interest by law in order to operate as a trust. Unfortunately, they are able to use law enforcement to help do their dirty work as evidenced by the concussion scandal.

I'm not going to disagree with your take about our corpocracy but I will otherwise avoid the political discussion.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Yes, I'm aware of that.
Was not sure if the NBA ratings are down this year or not. Or if they are, is it by as much as a the NFL.

Given the technology trends, I'd assume standard TV ratings are down for all.to some degree.

ACtually I was wrong. My bad, mang.

NBA ratings are up bucking the trend.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...up-nfl-ratings-are-down-even-on-christmas-day

NCAA is down

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/12/10/college-footballs-declining-ratings-2017-media-circus

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Yes, I'm aware of that.

NBA is way up so the cutting the cord streaming argument that everything is down doesn't hold water

NFL reached it's tipping point...... it is still #1 but it is slipping..... the Super Bowl will do great but less people will watch

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Pro Bowl ratings up 26% It's over! Lol.
I know you weren't super serious but

Even that is misleading...... the game was only broadcast on ESPN last year in Primetime and this year it was broadcast on both ESPN and over the air on ABC at 3pm

It was way down on ESPN 4.19 vs 1.68 this year
But a 3.58 rating on ABC made up the difference and more

A 26% is not as impressive in context

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The Grammys were down 24% from last year and hit an all-time low

Same with the Golden Globes

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
College ball is guilty of the same problem as the NFL, to much start and stop and a targeting call takes 5 minutes to confirm. They have another problem, starting the games on time on the channel the game is supposed to be on. This really inconveniences the fans not all in on one of the particular teams. I will go find the AR game on SEC 2 because I am a diehard for the Hogs....and then regret it.

I can't record and time shift with college because there are too many games on at the same time and I am all over that. watching up to 4 at the same time and seldom just 1 game, even if that's AR cuz I learned my lesson. They don't deserve both of my eyes.

DFWJC

Reaction score
NBA is way up so the cutting the cord streaming argument that everything is down doesn't hold water

NFL reached it's tipping point...... it is still #1 but it is slipping..... the Super Bowl will do great but less people will watch
Thats why I asked the question. Didnt know the answer though.
If all sports were down, streaming etc holds more water than it actually does.
But its a combination of things-- including some we aren't allowed to discuss.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Grammys were down 24% from last year and hit an all-time low

Same with the Golden Globes
Should be as both have fallen into the trap of allowing too much politics in on something that's supposed to be a provider of escapism. I tried watching the GG and that got to be painful. I felt I should go into the kitchen, get out the electric knife and Lorenasize myself.

I guess I am a just a calloused individual because I don't care about their politics. I watch them to be entertained, sing a little song, do a little dance and get down at night.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Thats why I asked the question. Didnt know the answer though.
If all sports were down, streaming etc holds more water than it actually does.
But its a combination of things-- including some we aren't allowed to discuss.
The NBA started from a much lower baseline so improvement that sounds impressive is not as much as it seems but any improvement bucks the theory that "everything is down to no fault of our own"

Advertisers love sports because they attract live eyeballs and most don't DVR and zoom past commercials..... so they will pay a premium over other TV but 20% decline in the NFL is serious

CBS and NBC failed to bid on Thursday Night Football because they lost too much money
Fox may have picked up the slack but they will take the losses to promote FoxSports1 and 2

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Should be as both have fallen into the trap of allowing too much politics in on something that's supposed to be a provider of escapism. I tried watching the GG and that got to be painful. I felt I should go into the kitchen, get out the electric knife and Lorenasize myself.

I guess I am a just a calloused individual because I don't care about their politics. I watch them to be entertained, sing a little song, do a little dance and get down at night.
Pissing off half your customers is not a smart strategy.......it feels great to be smug and mean and belittle people but it kills the bottom line

Hollywood just had one of its worst years ever.......TV shows and award shows are way down

People are looking for alternatives to the Networks messaging and Netflix and Roku help fill that void with the sheer volume of choices

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The NBA started from a much lower baseline so improvement that sounds impressive is not as much as it seems but any improvement bucks the theory that "everything is down to no fault of our own"

Advertisers love sports because they attract live eyeballs and most don't DVR and zoom past commercials..... so they will pay a premium over other TV but 20% decline in the NFL is serious

CBS and NBC failed to bid on Thursday Night Football because they lost too much money
Fox may have picked up the slack but they will take the losses to promote FoxSports1 and 2
The tricky part of having the rights to the games is the promotional aspect. It's hard for them to put a value on that but that was the main reason CBS and NBC came back after balking at the price years ago when FOX got in.

Another reason is self defense. That's why ESPN is upside down now and going through firings. They tried to play keep away from the emerging cable sports channels and grossly overpaid. It's a sellers' market.

The competition shifted from the other nets to the internet and they're not sure how to fight that beast as it has so many heads.

One thing for sure, the NFL will pit them against each other and bleed them for every dime they can get. They may not be as dominant as they were but they are the 500lb gorilla and an insatiable one at that.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I know you weren't super serious but

Even that is misleading...... the game was only broadcast on ESPN last year in Primetime and this year it was broadcast on both ESPN and over the air on ABC at 3pm

It was way down on ESPN 4.19 vs 1.68 this year
But a 3.58 rating on ABC made up the difference and more

A 26% is not as impressive in context

You mean I streamed that game for nothing? Dang. I shouldn't have assumed.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pissing off half your customers is not a smart strategy.......it feels great to be smug and mean and belittle people but it kills the bottom line

Hollywood just had one of its worst years ever.......TV shows and award shows are way down

People are looking for alternatives to the Networks messaging and Netflix and Roku help fill that void with the sheer volume of choices
Yep and that iceberg is about 90% submerged. It is going to be a buyers' market for quite some time.

The TV nets are in a no win battle. The one constant that cannot change is time. We just have so much time and that has become fragmented even more over the last 5 years and will increase.

Before the internet and this forum existed, what would you have done with this same amount of time? People that frequent Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, where did they spend that time before?

Video games will only increase the time sponge and we've really not seen VR yet. And the last line of hope for TV nets, the older demo...so slow to respond to change. has proven to be a challenge. With the advent of Facebook, that demo increased the sale of computers by 33% in 2 years, all to stay in touch with family and friends. Where does that time come from? The next big thing on the horizon for the seniors should be Gray Gaming. A console and controller designed specifically for older hands and games for memory and mind stimulation to ward off dementia and Alzeimers. So much money there, surprised it's not already here.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

So are you trying to claim that people are not cutting the cord or are you trying to claim that the NBA doing well in this market means that the NFL is somehow not affected by said market?

If it is the former, then you need to get out more. The rise of hulu, amazon, and netflix and the downward trend of TV are well chronicled and much discussed in the media.

If it is the latter then I have to say you should work on your logic a little bit. The NBA anecdote has no bearing on the NFL viewership.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Cool story one problem though:

Fox has placed a bid for the rights to the Thursday night package, which expired at the conclusion of the regular season, a person with knowledge of the bidding process told USA TODAY Sports. The person asked for anonymity because of the sensitivity of the discussions. CBS and NBC, who combined to pay $900 million over the previous two-year deal, also are bidding.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...l-thursday-night-football-package/1054812001/

Other stories describe Fox as bidding aggressively and nary a thing to be found that would give someone the inclination about your stories of their motivations.

You not only bias to reach your preferred conclusion but you also just plain make **** up. Nice sophistry. Have fun hoping that Fox's bid is less than what was had before but no worries you can just make up more stories if that happens too!

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Cool story one problem though:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...l-thursday-night-football-package/1054812001/

Other stories describe Fox as bidding aggressively and nary a thing to be found that would give someone the inclination about your stories of their motivations.

You not only bias to reach your preferred conclusion but you also just plain make **** up. Nice sophistry. Have fun hoping that Fox's bid is less than what was had before but no worries you can just make up more stories if that happens too!
Do some more scouring grasshopper.....you will eventually find the truth just like you did with NBA ratings and your earlier mea culpa

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Do some more scouring grasshopper.....you will eventually find the truth just like you did with NBA ratings and your earlier mea culpa

So you have nothing and cannot own your own falsehoods. Such bravery.

In the meantime, those networks did indeed bid and your narrative of all the players motivations are based on absolutely nothing. That is the found truth.