NFL Ratings Down 16% in the Playoffs from a Year Ago

Haimerej

Reaction score
Again, the online and mobile market is now being monetized by the NFL and the TV contracts are locked in for 4 more years. The Verizon deal is just a start. The online deal is still on the horizon.

Saw it the first time, thanks.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Down is down

It is what you said didn't exist...... but you always lie

Ad revenue was down for the mighty NFL.............hAhahahahahahahaahhaahaha

on one platform. it's obviously up on a different one. you enjoy fixating on the downward trend at the exclusion of all else.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
He can't handle the truth

As if you are the arbiter. I can handle TV viewership declining. It is a well recognized cultural trend. On the same hand, mobile and online viewership are up and the NFL is just beginning to monetize it.

What you cannot handle is the whole truth because every post of yours biases out the latter part of the "truth."

You scour the interwebs trying to confirm your bias and repeat your exact same position from September. You gloss over the Verizon agreement with emotional claptrap despite many people pointing out to you this new market way back in September. Then league revenue increased. You gloss that over too.

At the end of the day, the NFL will see smaller TV contracts. The CPM's remain high so a 20% decrease in viewership only nets a 1.2% decrease in ad revenue but a decrease is what it is. The question is whether or not the new mobile and web contracts will net more or less overall.

We don't know but at least for the next four years with the TV contracts locked in your wishcasting for the demise of the sport are not going to happen.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Whoa -- a 16% downturn in the NFL's TV ratings in 2017 is a big hit to absorb for any business.

The fact that they've become a legal liability for their own players speaks poorly for their loyalty.

No business bearing a fair-minded conscience should conspire to circumvent the legal system.

That's very likely just one of the things that turned the public sour upon taking account of them.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I would be very surprised if there is also not a drop in the super bowl ratings as well....BUT, if it does surprise I think it will be that people want to see a legendary team, coach, and QB while their dynasty is still ongoing......simply put, outside of Philly, the eagles just aren't much of a drawing card for ratings.

diefree666

Reaction score
As if you are the arbiter. I can handle TV viewership declining. It is a well recognized cultural trend. On the same hand, mobile and online viewership are up and the NFL is just beginning to monetize it.

What you cannot handle is the whole truth because every post of yours biases out the latter part of the "truth."

You scour the interwebs trying to confirm your bias and repeat your exact same position from September. You gloss over the Verizon agreement with emotional claptrap despite many people pointing out to you this new market way back in September. Then league revenue increased. You gloss that over too.

At the end of the day, the NFL will see smaller TV contracts. The CPM's remain high so a 20% decrease in viewership only nets a 1.2% decrease in ad revenue but a decrease is what it is. The question is whether or not the new mobile and web contracts will net more or less overall.

We don't know but at least for the next four years with the TV contracts locked in your wishcasting for the demise of the sport are not going to happen.
love your head in the sand attitude

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would be very surprised if there is also not a drop in the super bowl ratings as well....BUT, if it does surprise I think it will be that people want to see a legendary team, coach, and QB while their dynasty is still ongoing......simply put, outside of Philly, the eagles just aren't much of a drawing card for ratings.
It was down last year with the Pats in it and an offensive showdown just about guaranteed, I thought it would be a record setter and it was the opposite.

Wouldn't surprise me for this one to drop from last year, seems to be the trend of the playoffs. I am out of the desirable demo so my absence will not be felt.

My opinion about the SB is the same as Duane Thomas when asked how it felt to be in the ultimate game...."if it's the ultimate, why are they playing it next year"? It's just a football game and the most over hyped event that seldom delivers.

diefree666

Reaction score
It was down last year with the Pats in it and an offensive showdown just about guaranteed, I thought it would be a record setter and it was the opposite.

Wouldn't surprise me for this one to drop from last year, seems to be the trend of the playoffs. I am out of the desirable demo so my absence will not be felt.

My opinion about the SB is the same as Duane Thomas when asked how it felt to be in the ultimate game...."if it's the ultimate, why are they playing it next year"? It's just a football game and the most over hyped event that seldom delivers.
then the falcons went up big a lot of people tuned out and did not return. Now if it had been nip and tuck the whole game that might have been a bid difference. I would think a fair number that figured the patriots would blow them out might check in and see what the score is before deciding to watch more.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would watch if Brady's 5 year old daughter was running around, being an annoying pissant, and punching Eagles players in their crotches and spitting on their mouth pieces.

diefree666

Reaction score
Please explain. What exactly am I ignoring? I had the courage to explain what b ignores. Do you have the courage to do the same?
fuzzy being fuzzy again. Mouthing off about courage and other BS. You are guilty of exactly what you attack others for. Your holier than thou attitude is very grating

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
LMAO, that does happen to be the topic of this thread. I think your complaint is with the OP.

LMAO this topic has been ongoing for near half a year and is not isolated. Board policy is to not bump old threads but it is the same discussion nonetheless. I even refer to said discussion with the people I am discussing it with here in this one.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Honest question, as I have no idea what the answer is:

Are rating also down for the NBA this year?
Were they down for college football?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
fuzzy being fuzzy again. Mouthing off about courage and other BS. You are guilty of exactly what you attack others for. Your holier than thou attitude is very grating

So you have nothing to say about me ignoring something and instead blithely go with this routine again? Guess I was right about the courage part.

You were wrong in your claim and it was obvious, combine that with you routinely coming at me with this inferiority complex thing; that is why I was condescending towards you. Deal with it.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Honest question, as I have no idea what the answer is:

Are rating also down for the NBA this year?
Were they down for college football?

TV ratings are down pretty much across the board. Less people are watching TV and more people are online and on their phone. It's a cultural trend.