NFL reporter calls Dallas Cowboys 'biggest gaslighters in the league' over offseason inactivity

deerhunter11

Reaction score
For some strange reason, the Jones front office has never learned the wisdom found in silence. There’s something powerful about letting your results on the field do the talking.

Jerry has famously (and foolishly) said, “All publicity is good publicity“. It may put them in the spotlight but ultimately in the “train wreck” kind of spotlight. It may make them some money but this philosophy certainly hasn’t resulted in a Lombardi or even a divisional playoff win in 3 decades.

Every off-season when there are contracts to be negotiated, they go full on with “sources say” public criticism of their own players, then end up caving to the player they just publicly dissed. It’s insane.

Hey Jerry…No one wants to hear from you. Or the “sources” that spread your gossip in social media. Two big words you should begin living by: Be quiet.
Bravo well said , before the draft we will probably know who they draft in the 1st round .Jerry Jerry quite contrary.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
For some strange reason, the Jones front office has never learned the wisdom found in silence. There’s something powerful about letting your results on the field do the talking.

Jerry has famously (and foolishly) said, “All publicity is good publicity“. It may put them in the spotlight but ultimately in the “train wreck” kind of spotlight. It may make them some money but this philosophy certainly hasn’t resulted in a Lombardi or even a divisional playoff win in 3 decades.

Every off-season when there are contracts to be negotiated, they go full on with “sources say” public criticism of their own players, then end up caving to the player they just publicly dissed. It’s insane.

Hey Jerry…No one wants to hear from you. Or the “sources” that spread your gossip in social media. Two big words you should begin living by: Be quiet.
I get that a lot of people prefer your ethic but do you understand that there are more than that school of thought on this that has seen success. Personally I only see that ethic as being axiomatic in life of death situations.

Reminds me of when people were claiming that Ali's brash talk would prevent him from winning.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
She lost me with “ go out and surround him with more talent” after he just had a lot of talent…and then says “another team will pay him $60 mil” She’s all over the map

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he was blwoing it up his first move would have been hiring a GM..until this happens the other moves are just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic...
I think he has quietly turned over some of the GM stuff to McClay . Beyond that, I believe age has suddenly changed his approach from winning "Jerry's way" to let's build this team the way we did 35 years ago. Maybe McClay, Scott, Jimmy are breaking through, who knows, but there's a disturbance in the force:flagwave:

Creeper

Reaction score
I agree. They have been gaslighting fans for years, although I do think they had some teams that were better on paper than they produced on the field. Romo had some really good teams I think. 2007 and 2009 rosters were pretty strong. They managed to lose to the Giants in their only playoff game as the #1 seed. The Giants went on to win the Super Bowl. That could have been the Cowboys.

They had a good team in 2009.

They had a really good team in 2016.

I would offer than those 3 teams were much better than the 2023 team. Same results though.

This year is different. The lack of activity is unique for Jerry. In the past he may not have signed big free agents, but he retained, or tried to retain, his own players at least. I have no idea what they are doing this year but it is clear the all in comment was an emotional Jerry talking after losing a tough game to the Packers. Then Stephen got to him and the definition of "all in" changed.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
And all these opinions are just spoken or written words on paper that don't mean anything until the team hits the field. Granted No one can feel great about the offseason, but there's plenty of talent in place to field a competitive team, and we don't know what players will make a jump or step up.

Maybe Osa steps up in a contract year, maybe Sam Williams just needed more snaps. Maybe Hoffman, Bass, or Richards surprise and become a good starter. Maybe Tolbert turns into a productive number 3. Maybe Zimmer's tweaks make this a more consistent unit. Maybe the Cowboys hit with a couple players in the draft.. Who knows, but I don't want to write off a season before seeing how this team performs.
Thats a lot of maybes..

Sydla

Reaction score
I think that I would usually take that pragmatic approach.

But over the 50+ years that I’ve been closely following the Cowboys, I’ve come to realize a few things about pro sports…

If you’re not actively progressing, you’re actively regressing.

And pro athletes, right or wrong, rarely, if ever, respect a coach, much less an entire staff, under contract for only the upcoming season.

Either of those things are issues that I’ve never seen work out for a team, much less two going into a season.

And wishing that a draft class save your season? I’ve seen a draft class push a team over the top into playoff success. (‘74 Steelers, Dirty Dozen Cowboys)

But this upcoming season’s Cowboys don’t have the underlying foundation with which to build upon. At least not where it counts. (Trenches)

I have a very bad feeling about this upcoming season, the same bad feeling I had before the GB game. I hope I’m wrong.

Last season I predicted 12 wins. Next season, at this point…less than 5. I hope I’m wrong.
Bingo.

We saw we were not good enough last year as we got boat raced off our own field in the WC round.

Most teams would try to BUILD on that. Look at their weaknesses and try to address them as best they could in FA while giving themselves some flexibility come the draft.

We did the exact opposite. Did nothing in FA. And have little flexibility in the draft, likely having to force picks at certain positions we neglected in FA.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Maybe a couple come to fruition?
There has to be that movement from depth to increased role at the bare minimum from the farm team.
WR - Tolbert, Brooks
OL - Bass, Richards, Hoffman, Waletzco
RB/FB - Dowdle, Vaughn, Leupke
I mean we are just getting started here, not even started with the D yet.

JonesBoys

Reaction score

Since they have had little to no results in almost 3 decades they can't let their results speak for themselves. That's why they have to crank up the hype machine all the time.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

But over the 50+ years that I’ve been closely following the Cowboys, I’ve come to realize a few things about pro sports…

And pro athletes, right or wrong, rarely, if ever, respect a coach, much less an entire staff, under contract for only the upcoming season.

Either of those things are issues that I’ve never seen work out for a team, much less two going into a season.

And wishing that a draft class save your season? I’ve seen a draft class push a team over the top into playoff success. (‘74 Steelers, Dirty Dozen Cowboys)

But this upcoming season’s Cowboys don’t have the underlying foundation with which to build upon. At least not where it counts. (Trenches)

I have a very bad feeling about this upcoming season, the same bad feeling I had before the GB game. I hope I’m wrong.

Last season I predicted 12 wins. Next season, at this point…less than 5. I hope I’m wrong.
:clap::clap:

eromeopolk

Reaction score

NFL reporter calls Dallas Cowboys 'biggest gaslighters in the league' over offseason inactivity​

Story by Matthew Schmidt, NFL Analysis Network

The Dallas Cowboys have taken tons of criticism this offseason, and it seems like it’s not over.

During an appearance on the Up & Adams Show, NFC North reporter Carmen Vitali ripped the Cowboys for their lack of activity this offseason, calling them “the biggest gaslighters in the league.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...r&cvid=a7a2d8d0ab564febbcd00d197b91cf32&ei=21

What are they talking about. Dak Prescott has had 4 - 12 or +12 seasons. So like Romo he has had teams around him. The issue is like Romo, who also was not a franchise level QB, the GM, HC, and Owner or the same person that does not put good QBs with great Running game, and a Great defense.

Before Brady was Brady, Belichick gave him a top defense, and a running game. Brady developed into franchise level QB. Dak like Romo develop into playoff caliber QBs but not franchise level QBs so they will always need a top defense (whether franchise level or not you need a top defense to win super bowls) and a running game. Tom Landry teams always had a top defenses. Jimmy Johnson teams always had a top defense. Dynasties occur when the QB is or becomes franchise level.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I think he has quietly turned over some of the GM stuff to McClay . Beyond that, I believe age has suddenly changed his approach from winning "Jerry's way" to let's build this team the way we did 35 years ago. Maybe McClay, Scott, Jimmy are breaking through, who knows, but there's a disturbance in the force:flagwave:
We will see, maybe I have PTSD but I'm thinking your going to get a draft to fill holes and CD and Dak get contracts..then Micahs up.

mmohican29

Reaction score

You're definitely wrong.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
She's overall correct but do reporters do their HW anymore? We obviously didn't trade Tyron Smith, and Ceedee Lamb is the ONLY threat? Jake Ferguson would like to have a word with her.

Beaker42

Reaction score

NFL reporter calls Dallas Cowboys 'biggest gaslighters in the league' over offseason inactivity​

Story by Matthew Schmidt, NFL Analysis Network

The Dallas Cowboys have taken tons of criticism this offseason, and it seems like it’s not over.

During an appearance on the Up & Adams Show, NFC North reporter Carmen Vitali ripped the Cowboys for their lack of activity this offseason, calling them “the biggest gaslighters in the league.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...r&cvid=a7a2d8d0ab564febbcd00d197b91cf32&ei=21

She’s not wrong.