Twitter: NFL season expected to be expanded to 17 games this week

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When I had a DirectV dish one day in July I got a call from them saying for just a $1 more per month I could have the ticket. I did it and before the season was over I got another call from them asking be if I wanted to signup for the next season for only $250 and that if I didn't take that I would have to pay full price to get it again. I said no thinking that someone would call back in the future offering a better price. Nobody did and the following year it was $349 for the ticket. I didn't get it and then about 10 days before the season started I got a call offering $275 for the ticket. I said no and told them that I originally got it for $12 and if they wanted to raise it to $24 and double that I would have no problem with that, but not for what they were offering.
My contract used to come up in August and for 5 years I used the magic word "cable" and got it free. I had to escalate to a supervisor when ATT took over but got it free again and the RZ. The last time I pulled this, not only did I not get it free but the supervisor was a bigger jerk than the clerk that wouldn't let me have my way.

The Sunday Ticket is great if you're an out of market fan.....or forced to watch the Texans play.

Turk

Reaction score
All of the conjecture about what fans will do isn't even that to these owners. This is like Diehardblues cries in the wilderness to hold Booger accountable.

The ratings are falling, the end is near!!! They get an 80% bump in the rights to carry contracts.

Fans won't buy the tickets. Yes, they will just like addicts buy smack. The owners are the dealers and they know addicts.

They push the ticket prices, concessions, merch, parking and meet little resistance. Oh, the usual complaining that only corporations can afford tickets. I see a lot of people in those stands that don't look like the corporate types to me.

The NFL owners are the dog and the public is the tail. They've weathered lock outs, strikes, protests, controversies and throughout all of that, what did they get? Their way. Their business is healthier than it's ever been, even with a 4B downturn, they'll make that up and then some, already have in the broadcast rights.

17 games, 18 games, who cares? But what about the safety of the poor players we all cry? I could care less, they know the risks and they know who they play for, people that are just a little greedier than they are. The whole damn sport is nothing but a money grab so give me more games.

I am selfish, I like football, it's really the only sport that I do like so cancel the others and let's play year round. I haven't reached my saturation point yet and this is all about entertainment.

As far as the records, who cares? They do not differentiate between 12 game seasons and 16 game seasons in the NFL anymore than they do 10 seasons v 13 games seasons in college ball. Hell, a 1k yard season will be 59 yards a game. Give me 5 large men in front of me and I think I can do that. Might be 59 carries but I could do it!
so basically you are saying no matter how sloppy and pathetic the game gets in all ways the money will keep rolling in?
REALLY?

JustChip

Reaction score
The most recent research about head injuries shows that repeated collisions, even those that don’t cause an immediate concussion, have a cumulative effect on brain trauma. Adding a 17th game will have consequences for players safety.

I love football as much as anyone, but I was against adding any extra games for safety reasons. I believe this additional game will eventually cut some players careers shorter by a year or two over time.
I saw a very interesting show thus weekend about research being done on concussion prevention. The research studied how animals that routinely have significant head impacts such as woodpeckers and big horn sheep are protected from trauma. They all have some kind of air bag type of mechanism surrounding the brain that inflates with blood upon collision and keeps the brain from impacting the skull. The research has shown that the human skull and brain can have the same working with the carotid artery. There’s a product actually developed that is worn around the neck and constructs the carotid to provide a reservoir if blood as a cushion around the brain. I can’t remember the product name, but it was way gnarly.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Remember when a 1000-yard season in rushing or receiving meant something?
and yet only maybe 10 players still achieve it !!

ll go look but i dont believe more then 6 Rbs hit 1k + yards, it actually does still mean something if it cant be achieved by larger percentage of players..i mean how many RBs on each roster, Wrs?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
so basically you are saying no matter how sloppy and pathetic the game gets in all ways the money will keep rolling in?
REALLY?
Yes, really. That deal they just did with the Nets assures them that the money will keep rolling in regardless

fivetwos

Reaction score
When I had a DirectV dish one day in July I got a call from them saying for just a $1 more per month I could have the ticket. I did it and before the season was over I got another call from them asking be if I wanted to signup for the next season for only $250 and that if I didn't take that I would have to pay full price to get it again. I said no thinking that someone would call back in the future offering a better price. Nobody did and the following year it was $349 for the ticket. I didn't get it and then about 10 days before the season started I got a call offering $275 for the ticket. I said no and told them that I originally got it for $12 and if they wanted to raise it to $24 and double that I would have no problem with that, but not for what they were offering.
I'm not sure how DTV will play into things moving ahead, but one year I told them I didn't find it fair that they were offering the ticket free to new customers but charging those who had been w them for a decade plus 350.

After being on hold for a bit I got it free that season.

They are definitely flexible if you use them as your main TV provider, but again I'm not sure at all how this is going to work w the new deals.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My contract used to come up in August and for 5 years I used the magic word "cable" and got it free. I had to escalate to a supervisor when ATT took over but got it free again and the RZ. The last time I pulled this, not only did I not get it free but the supervisor was a bigger jerk than the clerk that wouldn't let me have my way.

The Sunday Ticket is great if you're an out of market fan.....or forced to watch the Texans play.

I have no choice. The Colts aren't on much around here.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

I fixed this problem by moving to Fort Worth. Ironically since moving here (from California) I have gotten the Ticket both years for free. I know why they did it last year, but have no explanation for why I got it free in 2019. But I had it from 1999 until well now.. We'll see how it works out for 2021 ..

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Not bad, but I don't like the uneven home and away schedule. I really would've preferred an international or a neutral site (if domestic) to be used for the extra game. I mean, why not use cities that don't have NFL teams for that game like San Diego, St. Louis, Austin, Orlando, or Columbus, Ohio? That and using the 17th game for international play would've kept the home and aways even while maybe helping to expand the game.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
So they are adding a game after the TV contracts...

Nope no collusion there.
yes it is 16 extra games for tv networks to air. 8 of those games will be extra home game for those owners. So they would make extra cash on that.
But.....if they drop PS games, that takes away extra home game money, and those games are televised too, so it takes away the money on those
for owners and tv networks.
People overlook how much money is made on PS games by owners, and tv networks.
I dont think they wont to drop more than 1 PS game which will be offset by the 17th game being added.

I think if they are going to add games, it should just go to 18 games and drop 2 PS games.
I think they plan to go to 18 soon anyway.

The PS games make money, so owners are not just going to throw those away.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Not bad, but I don't like the uneven home and away schedule. I really would've preferred an international or a neutral site (if domestic) to be used for the extra game. I mean, why not use cities that don't have NFL teams for that game like San Diego, St. Louis, Austin, Orlando, or Columbus, Ohio? That and using the 17th game for international play would've kept the home and aways even while maybe helping to expand the game.
simple, the owners make most of their profits from home games, if they played in another city , no profits from that game or would be greatly reduced.
Thats why they should just go to 18 games, which they will in near future.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
simple, the owners make most of their profits from home games, if they played in another city , no profits from that game or would be greatly reduced.
Thats why they should just go to 18 games, which they will in near future.

Or just stick with 16 *shrugs*. 18 would be better than 17 by far. They may as well anyway. 17 games is ridiculous.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Or just stick with 16 *shrugs*. 18 would be better than 17 by far. They may as well anyway. 17 games is ridiculous.
It is , and players dont like it because it actually makes them do more work for the same pay. Aint that horrible !! :rolleyes:
I think nfl is going to go 1 game just to get it done, then will add the other game later.
It should be even # of games.
They went from 14 to 16 games all at once, and avoided 15 game seasons. That is how it should be done.
But they have to deal with the players union etc. so we get the 17 game season. It really isnt a big deal adding games.

And those Billionaire owners NEED THAT MONEY !! :muttley: gotta add more to that pile of gold they already have lol.

Jerry needs a bigger, newer model yacht, that one is getting old and outdated! And it is too small !!! Let Stephen have the old one lol.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It is , and players dont like it because it actually makes them do more work for the same pay. Aint that horrible !! :rolleyes:
I think nfl is going to go 1 game just to get it done, then will add the other game later.
It should be even # of games.
They went from 14 to 16 games all at once, and avoided 15 game seasons. That is how it should be done.
But they have to deal with the players union etc. so we get the 17 game season. It really isnt a big deal adding games.

And those Billionaire owners NEED THAT MONEY !! :muttley: gotta add more to that pile of gold they already have lol.

Agreed, it SHOULD be 18 if they're going to add games. It's ridiculous that they are going with an odd number of games. They did very shoddy work of the 17 games. Makes things much more complicated than needed. Why not just have 2 AFC games, 2 more NFC Games, or one additional AFC game and one additional NFC game between a home and away game. This would be better, and balances the home and away games. (also, on a selfish-note, increases the chance of a Dallas at Chicago game during MFF haha). I think 17 is absolutely stupid, and, if you're going to be receiving an extra road game, then that makes making the playoffs harder because that's one less home game which most teams need. Meanwhile, the teams with the extra home game, imo, have an unfair advantage in making the playoffs.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The simple fact of the matter is more games equals more revenue for all involved (except the players) and it also equals more injuries, shorter careers. and a continued watering down of the product. As with most things there is an equilibrium to be achieved. 12 games was not nearly enough.. 14 was a step in the right direction and 16 feels pretty much spot on. In reality the number of games should be dictated by criteria. Six division games, 4 out of conference games, 4 in conference games against the other divisions and then the two "wildcard" games. Adding a third wildcard game screws up the formula. If they added 2 games then you could make it 6 division, 6 out of conference and 6 in conference other division games to make 18. But that would make too much sense .. I still wouldn't like it, but it would at last add up logically.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
What are the chances this OL can withstand 17 games in good health -- time to draft a killer OT. Thanks . . .:thumbup:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
How weird is it going to look at teams being 8-9 or 9-8 in the standings... Or how about 10-7? Just the sheer aesthetics alone will make it suck.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
if you're going to be receiving an extra road game, then that makes making the playoffs harder because that's one less home game which most teams need. Meanwhile, the teams with the extra home game, imo, have an unfair advantage in making the playoffs.
that is a good point, it favors the teams with the home games.
And a road game for game 17 when the team is really wore out, is going to be rough on those teams, then next week is playoffs.