Twitter: NFL season expected to be expanded to 17 games this week

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reducing the preseason games and replacing with real games makes sense. We’re talking one more game.

Take out two preseason games, add one regular season game and add another buy week. Then add 10 roster spots. Better overall in my opinion.
I love the removal of the 2 ps games. In fact, I’m all for getting rid of all ps games! If they did that, maybe an 18 game season would work with 2-3 bye weeks. I also like the added roster spots. This league could afford 60 man rosters.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It just seems like injuries have skyrocketed since all these "safety" efforts.
I think injuries started skyrocketing when guys weighing 250 LBs could run a 4.5 and hit someone like a freight train for 60 minutes...16 times in 4 months. I have never been on the field level for a pro game but I have for college football. It’s unbelievable how big and fast those guys are and how hard the hits are. Just the cumulative hits supposedly make a player feel like he’s been in multiple car wrecks. And that’s if they have broken or torn something.

FLWarpigrpig

Reaction score
I think injuries started skyrocketing when guys weighing 250 LBs could run a 4.5 and hit someone like a freight train for 60 minutes...16 times in 4 months. I have never been on the field level for a pro game but I have for college football. It’s unbelievable how big and fast those guys are and how hard the hits are. Just the cumulative hits supposedly make a player feel like he’s been in multiple car wrecks. And that’s if they have broken or torn something.

Your probably right.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Preseason is a vital tool in the process of team building. Eliminating it or even just shortening it would be another example of dumbing down the league to appease the lowest common denominator fan.

It's an atrocious idea.

FLWarpigrpig

Reaction score
Preseason is a vital tool in the process of team building. Eliminating it or even just shortening it would be another example of dumbing down the league to appease the lowest common denominator fan.

It's an atrocious idea.

Agreed, people complain about losing preseason last year. It gives the young guys even less of a chance to make their mark.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed, people complain about losing preseason last year. It gives the young guys even less of a chance to make their mark.

Less chance for players to develop and coaches have less chance to evaluate. Less preparation for your team too.

I just don't understand why any NFL fan would want the season to start with teams having a mandated country club training camp and no preseason. Maybe it's time they stop listening to fans.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
Injuries will happen, in TC, in PS games, and what are the odds players will suffer injuries in an extra game. I bet much lower than fans realize.

As for the greed...it is not, it is called capitalism....it is a way of life. If EVERYONE in here could find a way to make more $$$, they would.
I do not understand why so many get upset about it.

No, it’s greed. It really is.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
It's just I felt like the 16 week season was the perfect amount of games. And these players really are hurting by that time. Another weeks just hurts player safety.
they didnt tweak the roster expansions to stay at a 16 week season,, we knew this was happening.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
so fewer preseason games?

The additional game won't alter the current scheduling formula; the 17th game will be a slight tweak. The preseason will be reduced as a result, with the expected number of preseason games to be three. A two-game preseason is also reportedly in play, but that would alter the NFL's 20-game formula of having 10 home and 10 road games per team (regular season and preseason). If the NFL keeps the 20-game formula, 16 teams will have 10 home games (8 regular season and two preseason), while the other 16 will also have 10 -- but in a different format (nine regular season and one preseason). This would rotate each season.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I really don't like this move.

The expansion of the playoffs was enough for me.

What's funny about this, not ha ha funny, is that the league goes at such great lengths to say and change rules for"player safety" but now expose every player to yet another game to get injured in. I'm curious about all the contracts signed before they were even close to going to 17 games and those contracts were based on playing 16 games so how is the NFLPA going to deal with every player having to take a smaller weekly check so what was agreed upon for a season fits 17 games. If the league says they are just going to add the same weekly pay check for the 17th game that means the contract is worth more so are they going to raise the cap amount to cover the increase of all contracts? Did the TV networks know when they signed those new contracts that they are going to be for 17 games and if they did why wasn't that mentioned when the announcement of the signing of the contracts was made? Or did they think about the fans having to pay even more for season tickets than what they already do which is outrageous.?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

It's an atrocious idea.
They felt threatened by the XFL... just squashing out the competition is all.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
What's funny about this, not ha ha funny, is that the league goes at such great lengths to say and change rules for"player safety" but now expose every player to yet another game to get injured in. I'm curious about all the contracts signed before they were even close to going to 17 games and those contracts were based on playing 16 games so how is the NFLPA going to deal with every player having to take a smaller weekly check so what was agreed upon for a season fits 17 games. If the league says they are just going to add the same weekly pay check for the 17th game that means the contract is worth more so are they going to raise the cap amount to cover the increase of all contracts? Did the TV networks know when they signed those new contracts that they are going to be for 17 games and if they did why wasn't that mentioned when the announcement of the signing of the contracts was made? Or did they think about the fans having to pay even more for season tickets than what they already do which is outrageous.?
You act as though you did not see this coming, and Im not really concerned over the squabbling's over who gets payed what in the NFL,, I understand its premise, but I dont care what the Long Snapper is making.

Last edited:

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
odd number of games makes sense given its the nfl. Now if we could only find a way to stop kick returns from happening.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Yea, we already knew this was coming. Rumors are Patriots will be our 17th game.

That's what I heard. There was an explanation that each division will play the team that placed in the same order, 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th in a division from the other conference. For this year each division will play the corresponding division in the other conference. So the two east divisions will play and the two west divisions will play and so on and so on. The AFC will get the home games this year and next year regardless what divisions are matched up the NFC will be the home team.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You act as though you did not see this coming, and Im not really concerned over the squabbling's over who gets payed what in the NFL,, I understand its premise, but I dont care what the LS is making.

I've heard and knew this was coming and I've had these same questions since it was first announced that they thinking about going to 17 games. What is LS? Some people think everything they use initials for is universally recognized.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I've heard and knew this was coming and I've had these same questions since it was first announced that they thinking about going to 17 games. What is LS? Some people think everything they use initials for is universally recognized.
My bad,, I edited it,,, thank you

NFL owners voted in December on a "scheduling formula" for a 17-game season.

plymkr

Reaction score
I really don't like this move.

The expansion of the playoffs was enough for me.
Same here. I don't like this move at all. 17 game season would make breaking records easier. The main record I care about is Emmitt Smith's rushing record. With an extra game now Peterson and Gore have more opportunities to catch him. I wish Peterson and Gore would retire and I wish they would retire soon. Getting a little to close to Emmitt's record. Adding another game gives them a better chance.

Also on a non Emmitt thought, I think it's a bad idea for an extra game due to injury and wear and tear on the players.