NFL sends video to teams regarding players reporting as eligible

MarcusRock

Reaction score
If Lions fans and the media weren't so determined to make the Lions a victim of trying to cheat the Cowboys defense out of a chance to cover the right eligible player. then the NFL wouldn't have felt the need to release this video.
Or the NFL is just covering their corrupt butts and will never admit wrong.

Did I do that right? Lol.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
Still a ton of people on ESPN all day talking about how the refs should be "held accountable", and they made a "game-changing mistake". We all know they would have been fine with Dallas losing on a pass to a player never announced eligible.

Morons.
And those same morons choose to ignore the incorrect tripping call. Shows their true intent is to belittle the Cowboys win and push the narrative that the poor lions were cheated. I’m really hope we get that second seed and we see them in the divisional round.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I said Sunday night that their formation became illegal the instant Sewell lined up outside of Skipper. They can whine and cry all they want but I will keep repeating.. They got cute, they got caught, they got beat.
if that's the case, then it is defintley an illegal formation. Sewell didn't report as eligible and an eligible player can't line up inside of a non-eligible player. probably why there were two flags thrown.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Dude ran up and around players to the ref. The ref saw what he was doing(declaring) and gave him what he wanted, to be declared eligible.
Yup, but he never gets in the ref's face like he did earlier in the game when he did the sign and sought him out directly. Allen probably assumed because he saw the sign but 70 contends he never said anything on the 2-pointer. You think NFL Films is ever gonna play that field audio? That footage is probably on the way to the dark side of the moon as we speak.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
The rules are pretty clear, why was #70 touching his front numbers when running to the field?
The narrative has definitely been set. League darling Dallas screws over little lions. The more you think about it the stupider it all is .

They still had two more cracks at the end zone anyway. And couldve went to overtime.

And they snapped it with the wrong number announced so Dallas was gonna guard that player 68 anyways . It really was no harm done.

Problem is they thought they won . The delay is what’s making this a story

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Still a ton of people on ESPN all day talking about how the refs should be "held accountable", and they made a "game-changing mistake". We all know they would have been fine with Dallas losing on a pass to a player never announced eligible.

Morons.
stole my thunder and this will never happen with the clowns on that show....not in your lifetime

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Was it legal for Sewell to line up in the slot and then motion back to RT? If an OL never declared himself eligible then I thought they could only line up on the LOS.

Mark

Reaction score
Case closed. Prudent & (apparently) necessary rules clarification.

Can't believe the number of ridiculous takes on this issue floating around the interwebs.

Thrill99

Reaction score
It's also why Dan Campbell didn't want to talk about it.
BINGO!!! I was saying the same thing. He knew what he did and I don't blame him for going silent on it. What a goofus he is. I like Campbell, but he lost his team that game.

pentatwirl

Reaction score
Yup, but he never gets in the ref's face like he did earlier in the game when he did the sign and sought him out directly. Allen probably assumed because he saw the sign but 70 contends he never said anything on the 2-pointer. You think NFL Films is ever gonna play that field audio? That footage is probably on the way to the dark side of the moon as we speak.
Decker admits he filled in the audio himself in a loud stadium by saying "report" without saying anything else, matching what Allen sees with his eyes from #70's reporting motion.

Davidlee1973

Reaction score
Dan Campbell wanted
The win had to show up his old boss Jerry jones for not hiring him when big Mike was hired. So he tried to pull some trickery. It back fired on him and he needed to own it. That’s all

MarcusRock

Reaction score
did #68 tell the ref, #70 will report as eligible?
Why would he do that? 70 is a big boy and can do it himself if that's what he wanted to do, lol. It was just a mess by the Lions. If you watch the video, 68 also touches himself on the chest as he's approaching the ref, albeit less demonstratively and appears to be talking to the ref too with his head bobbing up and down. But 70 running and doing that signal is probably the one that sticks out more to the ref so he goes with that. What 70 should have done was just run at the other 2 players there while not even looking at the ref and follow behind him as he's talking to the Dallas players as he kinda did. He did too good an acting job and convinced the ref.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Was it legal for Sewell to line up in the slot and then motion back to RT? If an OL never declared himself eligible then I thought they could only line up on the LOS.
It might have been legal if HE had be the only one who reported eligible. The fact that the refs only announced #70 as eligible then by definition the instant anybody covered him up the formation became illegal. Both Sewell AND the wide receiver to that side covered up Skipper and of course the receiver covered up Sewell. So TWO cases of illegal formation in addition to the undeclared ineligible receiver on the other side. The just for grins let's throw the ball to that guy. So really four fouls on one play. Frankly the Lions should be castigated for NOT knowing how illegal this was.. if in fact they didn't know.. which I doubt.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Decker admits he filled in the audio himself in a loud stadium by saying "report" without saying anything else, matching what Allen sees with his eyes from #70's reporting motion.
Well the rules don't state what you have to say, only that you make a physical and verbal sign that you're reporting. If you look at the video, 68 does make a subdued physical sign and you can tell he's saying something to the ref. 70 just takes the ref's attention away and his more demonstrative sign won him over is what I'm guessing.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Why would he do that? 70 is a big boy and can do it himself if that's what he wanted to do, lol. It was just a mess by the Lions. If you watch the video, 68 also touches himself on the chest as he's approaching the ref, albeit less demonstratively and appears to be talking to the ref too with his head bobbing up and down. But 70 running and doing that signal is probably the one that sticks out more to the ref so he goes with that. What 70 should have done was just run at the other 2 players there while not even looking at the ref and follow behind him as he's talking to the Dallas players as he kinda did. He did too good an acting job and convinced the ref.
Would not have mattered if 70's acting job had worked because the defense still would have to have been notified if #68 was the one declared eligible. Had he been then there isn't much doubt that the Cowboys would have covered him. Especially there wasn't much of a run fake as I can recall. Had they gone with a run fake I could buy a tackle being able to sneak out to the flat but absent that there's just no way.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Watch the video. It's pretty much a smack down of the Lions' shenanigans.

Ouch. That had to hurt.

The video also points out what's been said by many, that it is a two-step procedure, both verbal and the non-verbal moving the hands up and down the front of the jersey.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Well the rules don't state what you have to say, only that you make a physical and verbal sign that you're reporting. If you look at the video, 68 does make a subdued physical sign and you can tell he's saying something to the ref. 70 just takes the ref's attention away and his more demonstrative sign won him over is what I'm guessing.
I think that's the case. He didn't see 68's hand signals, but saw 70's. I think 70 thought he was OK because he didn't say anything. Teams should know now that it's on them to make it clear.