NFL sends video to teams regarding players reporting as eligible

Brooksey

Reaction score
I'll give Dan an A for effort and I really like some of his stuff but his play design was deceptive, risky, foolish and plain dumb.

Then he tripled down on dumb by not kicking the extra point. Can't wait for the re-match later this month

MarcusRock

Reaction score
yeah, but to confuse the cowboys and the refs. 70 came out late and gesturing. it was all designed to cause confusion. they got caught in a mess they made. not only that, if not that penalty, then they had an illegal formation. its not in the good spirit of the game. resorting to trickery. that's BS.
That's why I'm saying 70 probably shouldn't have gestered. And of course it was designed to cause confusion but there's nothing wrong with it. Gain a competitive edge where you can. I wish we'd thought of it first and executed better.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I read somewhere that sometimes the QB tells the ref who is reporting, and then I guess the lineman does the physical sign. I wonder if since 68's physical sign was subdued to keep Dallas from noticing that Allen thought Decker was reporting for 70 ... since Skipper was jogging over and making the physical sign. Of course, the video doesn't say that someone else can give the verbal sign for the reporting player.
They tried to make it look as close to when 70 reported earlier in the game as possible. But they pushed the boundary too far, IMO. I think 70 should have just run out there the same towards the ref and other players but not gesture. He did too good a job of making it look exactly the same and the ref believed it.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
No, the plan was for him to run on making the motion but never verbalizing. That was intended to confuse Dallas. 68 also verbalized but did not jesture so Dallas wouldn’t see it. That was all the plan and they told the refs before the game wanting them to ignore 70 swiping his chest as he ran in. Problem was Allen wasn’t in that pregame meeting and interpreted 70s actions as reporting and that’s why he announced him. It all a lot Detroit trying to exploit the rules and basically cheat. They even tried to enlist the refs to participate in their scheme. They got what they deserved.
Yes, I said the same thing. Campbell thought he could get away with just the physical gesture and not verbalizing while 68 did both but in a more subdued manner. It didn't matter that Allen wasn't in on any pre-game meeting. If there was a meeting and those refs said it was okay to do then it was okay to do which is why they attempted it. As I've pointed out, their execution of the okie doke was just too good instead of just similar. This wasn't a cheat, it was a pushing of the boundary and they didn't count on the ref only accepting the physical gesture. Welp, he did and they wound up with egg on their faces.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Agreed, and I think it hurts Detroit even more the way they did it to maximize deception. 68 said he did what his coaches told him to do, which was to just say "report". At the moment of Decker's subdued tummy touch at 0:27, Skipper's already sprinted to within a few yards and they are basically all in a clump in Allen's line of sight. Saying "report" at that moment probably just adds to the mess. Maybe if Decker says "68 reporting" when he taps his tummy that is enough to alert Allen that something is different, especially since 68 and 70 could not both become eligible.
Yes, it was definitely a little messy. Brilliant idea but it just falls to the floor flat now. Maybe some high school coach will try it and carry on the legacy, lol.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
His nipples were cold? Jerry had the AC on afterall.
the-waterboy-farmer-fran.gif

Chasing6

Reaction score
70 did a physical sign. The video says there needs to be a physical AND a verbal sign and he contends he didn't give a verbal. Maybe Campbell thought he could get away with only doing one and not the other.
And 68 gave a verbal and no physical sign.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Let’s be very clear, even back to the point when Campbell supposedly told the refs that number 68 at some point in the game would be reporting as an eligible receiver. All of this was orchestrated and planned, and it’s cheating. Then he sends number 70 out there touching his numbers, which is the signal for I’m going to be an eligible receiver on this play. Whether he gave a verbal or not to confirm it. The fact is that the refs announced to the Cowboys and the entire world that number 70 was the eligible receiver. Then they try and line up as being in eligible, to confuse the refs, to confuse the fans, and to confuse the Cowboys most of all. And then dare the refs to call back the conversion. In my opinion, the refs should be highly commended for standing up to this nonsense, and not allowing to play the stand. That took some cojones to make that call. But it was the right call and they made it. Mr. Campbell you got caught trying to cheat, so shut your mouth and take your loss and move along.
It also confused the talking heads.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Still a ton of people on ESPN all day talking about how the refs should be "held accountable", and they made a "game-changing mistake". We all know they would have been fine with Dallas losing on a pass to a player never announced eligible.

Morons.
They have much less to talk about when Dallas wins.

It's just really sad that everyone is a fan of the Cowboys. You either like them or hate them.

Same reason every free agent is linked to the Cowboys. Cowboys sell.

Starstruck22

Reaction score

Watch the video. It's pretty much a smack down of the Lions' shenanigans.

Look anyone that does not get that Campbell was intending to subvert the reporting rule is being purposefully obtuse.
The rules were clear before and after the play. Dan Campbell does not understand that you have to abide by ALL the rules
and you cannot devise plays to subvert any rule. He does not comprehend or care about fairness. Winning trumps fairness in his book.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Look anyone that does not get that Campbell was intending to subvert the reporting rule is being purposefully obtuse.
The rules were clear before and after the play. Dan Campbell does not understand that you have to abide by ALL the rules
and you cannot devise plays to subvert any rule. He does not comprehend or care about fairness. Winning trumps fairness in his book.
Well fortunately not in this example. Dan got creative and deceived himself into cheating his team out of a chance to win the game.

Then he doubled down on stupid and did not kick the extra point.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
They tried to make it look as close to when 70 reported earlier in the game as possible. But they pushed the boundary too far, IMO. I think 70 should have just run out there the same towards the ref and other players but not gesture. He did too good a job of making it look exactly the same and the ref believed it.
Agreed. If he'd just not gestured, I think Allen would have announced 68 as the player reporting as eligible despite the fact that his gesture was small. As is, he just thought it was the same guy it had been because one player said Report and 70 was the one who made the same gesture that he had before. They wanted to sell it, and they did, just to the wrong person.

I don't feel, like some do here, that Detroit was cheating trying to do this. I think they were trying to take advantage of the rules, to use the reporting requirements to their advantage, but didn't do it quite right. Nothing would have been wrong with the play if 68 had made a clear gesture and 70 did not. They wanted Dallas to buy it, though, so they tried to skirt the requirements. 68 did gesture and 70 did not report, but because of the way the gesturing was done, they did not make their intentions clear. What they did was not illegal even if it was sneaky. Like you said, if 70 had just kept his hands down, it would have probably been fine. 68 would have been announced and it would have been up to us to make sure we reacted to that announcement instead of trying to cover 70.

gimmesix

Reaction score
But he did though. Watch the video in the OP. He didn't raise his hand but he did wave his hand in front of his chest and talk to the ref.
That seemed to be the plan. 68 says Report and makes a small gesture. Then 70 comes in making a big gesture/the same he had when reporting but not reporting this time. I think that's the main thing Campbell probably discussed with the officials before the game, trying to make it clear to them that 70 would not be saying Report when they run that play so he would not be eligible. I can understand Detroit's reaction to the penalty and the NFL's reaction to that reaction, laying out that it is the team's responsibility to make it clear who is reporting. Maybe if Detroit attempts it again, Campbell will tell the player not reporting to be sure not to wave his hand in front of his chest.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Agreed. If he'd just not gestured, I think Allen would have announced 68 as the player reporting as eligible despite the fact that his gesture was small. As is, he just thought it was the same guy it had been because one player said Report and 70 was the one who made the same gesture that he had before. They wanted to sell it, and they did, just to the wrong person.

I don't feel, like some do here, that Detroit was cheating trying to do this. I think they were trying to take advantage of the rules, to use the reporting requirements to their advantage, but didn't do it quite right. Nothing would have been wrong with the play if 68 had made a clear gesture and 70 did not. They wanted Dallas to buy it, though, so they tried to skirt the requirements. 68 did gesture and 70 did not report, but because of the way the gesturing was done, they did not make their intentions clear. What they did was not illegal even if it was sneaky. Like you said, if 70 had just kept his hands down, it would have probably been fine. 68 would have been announced and it would have been up to us to make sure we reacted to that announcement instead of trying to cover 70.
Just lining up 58 as a split end was a penalty. Even if they announced 68 and he scored. It would still have not counted. It was an illegal formation.

So the entire conversation is really just a waste of time.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Just lining up 58 as a split end was a penalty. Even if they announced 68 and he scored. It would still have not counted. It was an illegal formation.

So the entire conversation is really just a waste of time.
I don't believe it was a penalty from what I've read if 68 had been announced instead of 70.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
They tried to trick the cowboys and tricked the ref end of story. They are at least 75% blame and at fault.

SexyDexy52

Reaction score
Yes, I said the same thing. Campbell thought he could get away with just the physical gesture and not verbalizing while 68 did both but in a more subdued manner. It didn't matter that Allen wasn't in on any pre-game meeting. If there was a meeting and those refs said it was okay to do then it was okay to do which is why they attempted it. As I've pointed out, their execution of the okie doke was just too good instead of just similar. This wasn't a cheat, it was a pushing of the boundary and they didn't count on the ref only accepting the physical gesture. Welp, he did and they wound up with egg on their faces.
Is it the refs job to tell you something is ok or not?

Suppose you go through the pre-game meeting and the team tells the refs all that you plan to do to make them aware. I'm not sure that the refs are obligated to tell you if it's legal or not, wouldn't the onus be on the team to know prior to the meeting? And the refs can confer amongst themselves and say, they warned us they were going to do this but it's an illegal play because of XYZ reasons even if the team thinks that it is legal. And if they do it during the game the refs can flag them for it.

Again, I'm not sure that the refs are obliged to correct the team in those pre-game meetings. I think it's just informational meeting not a discussion. The refs can walk out and look up the rules and find that the team was wrong in their assumptions and flag them during the game.... That's just my take on it, as I'm not sure if it's just an information meeting or if there is a dialogue back and forth about the legalities of trick plays and such ..