Video: NFL Whispers: Players the Cowboys Love

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Can't see how a 4th and 44 gets you back into the 1st - if that was it, I'd go that route all day, everyday. That 5th year is a big deal.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Pretty sure my credit card was just charged after watching that - $1.50 - Insider info - FSHCBYS is the charge?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think Fish is the only media person Ive seen mention Barmore as a target

I don't love Barmore, to be honest. I mean, you like the 6-5, big body but he has a lot of work that needs to be done before he can be a starter for you. His pad level is bad, which basically gets him washed out of plays a lot. He has no real pass rush moves, other then a swim which is fine but, that's not really what we need. He's not a 1 Tech, he's a 3 Tech. You would think that he could fill that role but he really hasn't at Bama. Fact is, he wasn't even the starter at Alabama so I don't get all the hype by all our fans, to be honest.

JMO

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly hard to say. Ive seen a couple people (Brandt being one) saying this is an unstable draft. On one hand, alot of players may not work out. On the other hand, you may want more darts to add talent.

Im skeptical of making alot of trade downs, because I think the talent level of this draft could be comparable to 2009. And that didnt work out well

Yeah. 2009 was the awful draft I’ve been thinking of. Nightmare.

I’m not sure about you, but I wasn’t impressed with Gil Brandt’s draft assessment this year.

morasp

Reaction score
I think Fish is the only media person Ive seen mention Barmore as a target
I posted an ESPN GETUP video yesterday and they all thought he was our best pick in round one. Said interior pass rush would be the single biggest upgrade to our defense.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't love Barmore, to be honest. I mean, you like the 6-5, big body but he has a lot of work that needs to be done before he can be a starter for you. His pad level is bad, which basically gets him washed out of plays a lot. He has no real pass rush moves, other then a swim which is fine but, that's not really what we need. He's not a 1 Tech, he's a 3 Tech. You would think that he could fill that role but he really hasn't at Bama. Fact is, he wasn't even the starter at Alabama so I don't get all the hype by all our fans, to be honest.

JMO

The NFL is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately business.

Alabama defensive tackle Christian Barmore has excelled.

Barmore, 21, played only 24 games in two seasons at Alabama. He ended with two of his best, dominating vs. Notre Dame and Ohio State in the playoffs to help the Crimson Tide win another national championship. He was named Defensive MVP of the title game.

Pro Football Focus credited him with 12 pressures in the playoffs to go along with two sacks, three tackles for loss and seven tackles. Over the final six games of his redshirt sophomore season in 2020, he had six sacks, seven tackles for loss and two forced fumbles.

“He’s got really good initial quickness for a big guy,” Alabama coach Nick Saban told The Chronicle-Telegram in a phone interview Friday. “He’s pretty instinctive when it comes to pass rush. I’d say those are the two qualities that he has.”

Barmore’s upside and a weak tackle class make him a candidate to be picked starting around No. 10. He’s 6-foot-4, 310 pounds and ran an unofficial 4.97-second 40-yard dash at the Alabama pro day. His highlight tape shows him knifing between guards and centers to take down the quarterback and overpowering the linemen on the way to swallowing the ball carrier in the backfield.

“Barmore may have been inconsistent, but his dominant moments were as special as any defensive tackle prospect we’ve seen outside of Quinnen Williams,” according to Pro Football Focus, which ranked Barmore the No. 12 prospect in the draft. “While he put up zero pressures against the likes of Tennessee and Florida this past season, he also logged 12 pressures in the College Football Playoff against two quality interior offensive lines.”

Barmore could be pushed up due to what NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah called “one of the worst defensive tackle groups” in the last decade of the draft. Jeremiah ranked Barmore 42nd overall, calling him “very inconsistent” against the run.

“Barmore is a little bit of a boom or bust,” Jeremiah said on a conference call in March. “There is a lot of ability there. You saw the good stuff at the end of the year that gets you fired up, and then I could point out some games in the early or middle part of the season where he doesn’t look like the same guy.

“Just a little bit up and down with him, but he’s one of those ones if you hit, you hit big.”

(MY NOTE: Barmore suffered a "minor" knee injury and sat out Alabama's last scrimmage in early September. I do not know if that affected him starting or his performances in those early-season games. Saban did say before the season opener that he didn't know if Barmore would play. His numbers definitely picked up late in the season and he had five tackles in each of his last three games, the SEC Championship, Rose Bowl and National Championship, along with 2 sacks and a forced fumble. Six of his eight sacks came in the last six games, so that may be indicative of him hitting his stride or getting his health back.)

He redshirted as a freshman out of Philadelphia in 2018, then started one of 12 games in 2019 with 26 tackles, six tackles for loss, two sacks and two passes defensed. He started five of 12 games in 2020 and led the Crimson Tide with eight sacks and three forced fumbles, adding 37 tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss and three passes defensed. He was named a third-team All-American.

“Barmore is naturally powerful to create immediate knockback and flashes the quickness to blast through gaps and close to the football,” wrote The Athletic’s Dane Brugler, who ranks him 20th. “While he competes with violent intentions, he gets overextended and frenetic at times and must improve his reliability versus the run. Overall, Barmore comes with obvious risk due to his inexperience and the raw elements to his game, but he doesn’t stay blocked long due to his play strength, explosiveness and energy. He projects as a position-versatile NFL starter with a Pro Bowl ceiling.”

SiriusXM NFL Radio analyst Gil Brandt said Monday that Barmore is in “perpetual motion” along the line and will be a good player for the next decade. Saban said Barmore’s coachable, which bodes well for continued improvement at the next level.

“He’s a good kid,” Saban said.