Twitter: NFL will let replay assistant fix mistakes on roughing the passer, intentional grounding

fivetwos

Reaction score
It’s tough to correct judgement calls. Easier for us when it’s not in live action and we can watch in slow motion from different angles.

Personally I think the game is over officiated. I begun watching before we had Instant Replay.

I say let them play and only call the more obvious infractions like with the ball. Those are the plays which dramatically impact results especially at end of game which is why Instant Replay was initially implemented.
I know what you mean, but there’s no reason to not fix something that’s obviously way off. That’s why I used that example.

There are many questionable calls in each game and they can’t fix it all, but some are egregious, and ought to be fixed since it’s possible. At least subject it to challenge.

I’m not a “refs suck” guy. Humans are limited as far as being perfect, especially when it’s older people chasing elite athletes and asked to make split second decisions.

Use technology to get it right. It would also eliminate some of the “it’s rigged” claims.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'd just like to see the correct calls made. I don't care who makes them. Let see if the booth can do better because what the NFL is doing now isn't working.
Football isn’t intended to be a perfect world anymore than any other sport. Judgement calls are part of it and always has been.

Can the booth do better without Instant Replay?

I’d even be for not showing us all the replays . We don’t need fans second guessing every call.

Can we imagine every pitch being reviewed in baseball. Too many fans are always going to side with their player or team.

I used to call Little League baseball. Every parent thought it was a strike or ball depending if their kid was pitching or hitting.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I know what you mean, but there’s no reason to not fix something that’s obviously way off. That’s why I used that example.

There are many questionable calls in each game and they can’t fix it all, but some are egregious, and ought to be fixed since it’s possible. At least subject it to challenge.

I’m not a “refs suck” guy. Humans are limited as far as being perfect, especially when it’s older people chasing elite athletes and asked to make split second decisions.

Use technology to get it right. It would also eliminate some of the “it’s rigged” claims.
I don’t expect the game to be perfectly called .

And there are some instances where it is rigged in a sense but not like most refer to. Greater players often get the call. Whether it’s a pitcher , a point guard or QB, etc

Because it’s the natural instinct to believe in order to slow or stop the greater player it takes more from a less talented player to stop them. And that often includes infringing on the rules.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Let them fix everything if they see an obvious blown call.
Obvious is in the eye of the beholder. I do think the replay ref should have the option to buzz down on any play and overturn the call on the field. College football does it and it works just fine. My biggest concern is the amount of power it places in the hands of that one individual.

With great power comes....

Great ability to screw the Cowboys...

superonyx

Reaction score
I suppose but I tend to want to stay away from calls which don’t directly revolve around the ball.

It is a contact physical sport. Let ‘em play.

Im more concerned about possession on fumbles miscalled or two feet in bounds, interceptions and receptions , especially for a TD. Crossing the plane of the goal and even spotting the ball which they miss too.
Not many arguments in football as annoying as when someone says "let em play".
How is stopping cheating and obvious rule violations not letting em play?
What does "let em play" even mean?

Let em cheat? Then why even have a rule if its not going to be enforced.

panchucko

It's Back
Reaction score
So there will be no calls, they probably can’t fix what isn’t called

Creeper

Reaction score
Obvious is in the eye of the beholder. I do think the replay ref should have the option to buzz down on any play and overturn the call on the field. College football does it and it works just fine. My biggest concern is the amount of power it places in the hands of that one individual.

With great power comes....

Great ability to screw the Cowboys...
Agreed. So put two guys in the booth to review together. I am not doing anything most Sundays. If I wear my glasses I can see fine. And I am sure the NFL can afford me.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Some of the roughing the passer calls have been ridiculous. They should have done something about this a long time ago.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
i think it’s a good thing, I still can’t understand why a coach can’t challenge a call in the final 2 minutes

coult44

Reaction score
Cannot wait to see referees questioning other referees for what is roughing. It is more sad that intentional grounding must require extra verification.
I guarantee if you watched in real time instead of super slow Mo, you and miss 75% of them also.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not many arguments in football as annoying as when someone says "let em play".
How is stopping cheating and obvious rule violations not letting em play?
What does "let em play" even mean?

Let em cheat? Then why even have a rule if it’s not going to be enforced

Many of the new ticky tacky rules are ridiculous protecting QB’s and receivers . That’s what I mean by letting them play.

That’s the main reason everyone is so fed up and frustrated is all of the new rules enhancing the passing game . All for the entertainment value not real football.

Instant Replay wasn’t implemented to reverse every frikin penalty.

Why not just take the officials off the field and review every play for an infraction. We’ll have 6-8 hour games . That should be great for the entertainment value. But at least we’d have perfection .

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Let them fix everything if they see an obvious blown call.
A panel of three, preferably independent of the league, should be watching everything and majority rule if they decide to intervene.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like it. Some of these folks have no business wearing the stripes to start with.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Some of the roughing the passer calls have been ridiculous. They should have done something about this a long time ago.
The big penalties that carry automatic first down and\or chunks of yardage can really change a game when bad calls are allowed to stand.