Twitter: NFL will let replay assistant fix mistakes on roughing the passer, intentional grounding

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Not many arguments in football as annoying as when someone says "let em play".
How is stopping cheating and obvious rule violations not letting em play?
What does "let em play" even mean?

Let em cheat? Then why even have a rule if its not going to be enforced.
Couldn't agree with you more. If it's worth putting in writing and calling it a rule, everything possible should be done to make sure the game is played within those rules.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Football isn’t intended to be a perfect world anymore than any other sport. Judgement calls are part of it and always has been.

Can the booth do better without Instant Replay?

I’d even be for not showing us all the replays . We don’t need fans second guessing every call.

Can we imagine every pitch being reviewed in baseball. Too many fans are always going to side with their player or team.

I used to call Little League baseball. Every parent thought it was a strike or ball depending if their kid was pitching or hitting.
I'm sorry. I believe getting it right trumps "judgment calls are part of it and always has been." If you have the means and technology to get it right, then do it. If it doesn't work, then do something else. Some things are clearly up to judgment, while some things are clearly not. Work to clean up the clearly not things.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm sorry. I believe getting it right trumps "judgment calls are part of it and always has been." If you have the means and technology to get it right, then do it. If it doesn't work, then do something else. Some things are clearly up to judgment, while some things are clearly not. Work to clean up the clearly not things.
I’m all for getting the possession calls right and why Instant Replay was implemented.

But reviewing penalties is lame. Fans this era think everything has to be perfect.

Next we won’t need an umpire to call balls and strikes cause we have the technology.

Let’s just review every play. Instead of officials on the field let’s put them all in a booth and we can wait until the play has been reviewed. That should be fun in 2 minute warning situations.

The bigger problem IMO is all the judgement penalties which have been added to protect the QB and receivers.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I’m all for getting the possession calls right and why Instant Replay was implemented.

But reviewing penalties is lame. Fans this era think everything has to be perfect.

Next we won’t need an umpire to call balls and strikes cause we have the technology.

Let’s just review every play. Instead of officials on the field let’s put them all in a booth and we can wait until the play has been reviewed. That should be fun in 2 minute warning situations.

The bigger problem IMO is all the judgement penalties which have been added to protect the QB and receivers.
I agree with you that too many judgment penalties have been added, but I don't think reviewing penalties is lame. I'd much rather they get right the tripping call they made against us than have to save us from losing to Detroit because of a different controversial penalty (which still would have been a penalty even with replay). I don't get the opposition to this. Yes, officials are going to miss calls because they are human and missed calls are part of the game, but when you've got the ability to eliminate or fix some of those, why not do it?

fivetwos

Reaction score

Not that, just the ones that are way out of line.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good news. But somehow I still seeing Dallas getting screwed over on both sides of the ball on this.
You know it will happen.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree with you that too many judgment penalties have been added, but I don't think reviewing penalties is lame. I'd much rather they get right the tripping call they made against us than have to save us from losing to Detroit because of a different controversial penalty (which still would have been a penalty even with replay). I don't get the opposition to this. Yes, officials are going to miss calls because they are human and missed calls are part of the game, but when you've got the ability to eliminate or fix some of those, why not do it?
With me it depends how far we are willing to go reviewing penalties . Once you open up that Pandoras Box it’s tough placing it back in. If we place some parameters like how many can be challenged I might consider.

I will continue to argue Football is not meant to be a perfectly played or called game . The human element is not only a part of the game but at its core fundamental existence .

Too many fans want to turn this into a video game where everything can be tweaked or totally fixed from officiating to reviewing every catch , possession and TD.

I’m sick of watching these TD’s with the ball breaking the plane . It’s ridiculous . Close used to count . In the end the best team should be able to overcome just like they do a poor performance.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not that, just the ones that are way out of line.
Coaches have a red flag for play challenges. Next there will be a coaches flag for penalties.

Maybe they will give fans a flag for poor calls and performance. Lol

I’m just afraid once we open up that Pandoras Box it expands from there. Instant Replay is a great example how reviews have been expanded.

A reception or TD including breaking the plane must be perfect now. Football just wasn’t meant to be as such.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Long overdue. When we as fans can sit in our living rooms and watch the refs make mistakes that could change the outcome of a game and the league does nothing about it is beyond frustrating. Communication is instant now and it shouldn't take that much effort to correct obvious mistakes.
The replay ref in the booth should be able to review/change any call made by officials on the field! The ref in the booth can slow the play down and watch different angles of the play. The 60 year old ref watching the play in real time and often running CANNOT see everything the ref in the both sees. Pass interference or not calling pass interference is a perfect example.

gimmesix

Reaction score
With me it depends how far we are willing to go reviewing penalties . Once you open up that Pandoras Box it’s tough placing it back in. If we place some parameters like how many can be challenged I might consider.

I will continue to argue Football is not meant to be a perfectly played or called game . The human element is not only a part of the game but at its core fundamental existence .

Too many fans want to turn this into a video game where everything can be tweaked or totally fixed from officiating to reviewing every catch , possession and TD.

I’m sick of watching these TD’s with the ball breaking the plane . It’s ridiculous . Close used to count . In the end the best team should be able to overcome just like they do a poor performance.
That's why I want to see what they do. Some of the moves they've made to try to improve officiating did not do it, so let's see what happens before pronouncing judgment.

I do disagree with you that the best teams should be able to overcome bad officiating. There's often not much that separates the best from the best so an officiating mistake can affect the outcome. I'd rather we try what's reasonable to mitigate those mistakes and see if we can.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Great for now, but why can’t they assist on everything?
The league is to stupid to do the obvious. Get the friggin call right!
Instead of letting the ref sit in the booth and watch the play in slow motion at different angles make the call, the NFL would rather have the 60 year old ref in real time make the call! Stupid!!!!!!!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score

Close is not supposed to count! This is not Horse Shoes.
To many selfish players try to stick the ball over the goal line with on hand stretched out. What happens? a smart defender smacks it out of their hand inches before the goalie.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Coaches have a red flag for play challenges. Next there will be a coaches flag for penalties.

Maybe they will give fans a flag for poor calls and performance. Lol

I’m just afraid once we open up that Pandoras Box it expands from there. Instant Replay is a great example how reviews have been expanded.

A reception or TD including breaking the plane must be perfect now. Football just wasn’t meant to be as such.
Like I said I know what you mean. I do.

But if technology is going to show fans all that’s missed, why not use the same to get it right.

I’m not talking about every play, but some are just outrageous.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
It’s tough to correct judgement calls. Easier for us when it’s not in live action and we can watch in slow motion from different angles.

Personally I think the game is over officiated. I begun watching before we had Instant Replay.

I say let them play and only call the more obvious infractions like with the ball. Those are the plays which dramatically impact results especially at end of game which is why Instant Replay was initially implemented.
You just said it is easier for us to correct judgement calls at home watching on TV.

You are correct AND that is ridiculous. We can see the mistakes at home, but the NFL does not fix the mistakes!!!!

If we can see the mistake at home, so can the ref in the booth. Fix the bad calls if they can easily be seen at home. Especially fix judgement calls when the ref is running or has a bad angle. PI for example.

The Hindershot call should NEVER stand. That was extremely easy to change! Everyone could see Hindershot was the one being tripped. The ref in the both calls down immediately and says you called the wrong team for tripping pick up the flag.
That play EASILY could have changed the outcome of the game.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You just said it is easier for us to correct judgement calls at home watching on TV.

You are correct AND that is ridiculous. We can see the mistakes at home, but the NFL does not fix the mistakes!!!!

If we can see the mistake at home, so can the ref in the booth. Fix the bad calls if they can easily be seen at home. Especially fix judgement calls when the ref is running or has a bad angle. PI for example.

The Hindershot call should NEVER stand. That was extremely easy to change! Everyone could see Hindershot was the one being tripped. The ref in the both calls down immediately and says you called the wrong team for tripping pick up the flag.
That play EASILY could have changed the outcome of the game.
Entirely too much emotional attachment for fans watching a game played by humans to be perfectly called by humans. I can live with missed calls just like a strike called when it’s a ball or a questionable foul called on the shooter.

I’ll maintain for the most part that the poor plays called and performances not to mention the talent or lack of it impacts results overall more than poor officiating.

Good teams and players can overcome a bad call or a bad play. Marginal teams maybe not as much.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Like I said I know what you mean. I do.

But if technology is going to show fans all that’s missed, why not use the same to get it right.

I’m not talking about every play, but some are just outrageous.
I attended games most of my life being a season ticket holder for most of 4 decades. And for much of that we didn’t see the Instant Replay cause there was no big screen.

I understand why fans are so distraught over this but I’ll maintain it’s too much information and over analyzing . It wasn’t intended to be that perfect .