NFL writer ranks Dak Prescott just outside Top 5 QBs

Rayman70

Reaction score
Dude, Jackson had an insane season and was a unanimous MVP, something only Brady has ever done. That trumps anything Dak has done and maybe even accounts for 2 of Dak's seasons. 36 TDs through the air while also being 6th leading rusher in the league, 2 slots behind Ezekiel Elliott. Even if he only mustered 75% of that production, that's still fantastic for a QB. They're probably ranking him to continue that sort of production whereas Dak's already 4 years removed from that ROY season and has experienced a downswing. Recent MVP > ROY in any year including the previous year let alone 4 years ago. Goes without saying but I said it anyway, lol.
HE IS NOT ELITE until he does it again. Dak isn't either, not until he shows he can lead us to the SB. Now we have the coaching,so we will see. Lamar had a special year last year. Is he that guy EVERY YEAR? Or was it a one year thing? This is a copycat league, and teams will also learn fast how to defend what made you successful last year. Look at how Tennessee beat the Ravens and Jackson. That will be the template. I still don't see how you put him ahead of Dak in anykind of ranking.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Please don't take this as disrespecting your opinion, but I want to throw something out there:

Since Dak is the leader of this team, as so many like to say, does it stand to reason that when he plays poorly, the rest of the team will follow?
thats with any team in the NFL. Teams go how the QB goes, but in the end its the HC and THAT leadership that helps overcome those bad days. We haven't had that since Parcells. Its been a long time.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
thats with any team in the NFL. Teams go how the QB goes, but in the end its the HC and THAT leadership that helps overcome those bad days. We haven't had that since Parcells. Its been a long time.
But the HC can't control how well the QB is throwing the ball or making decisions. That's why you expect teams with the Johnny Manziels at QB to lose. There's really not much a team can do to lift the QB up when he's playing poorly, unless the rushing game is doing extremely well and the defense simply stifles the opposition completely. At the same time, there's not much the QB can do when the receivers are dropping too many balls, but those days aren't common.

kskboys

Reaction score
Do you think he'd do better or worse on this team than Dak?
Brady? Hmmmmmm..........

Man, he still knows what to do. We had several large chunks of time where the O wasn't effective last season. That, my good sir, is a good question.

I'm going to have to see Dak play under a legit coaching staff before I can answer that question.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
he has actually had alot of those.

Maybe, but no one cares or remembers those games when they happen early in the season against the bottom feeders of the league. He should have done it in week 15 last season against a severely battered and injured Eagles team but, well, we all know how that turned out.

kskboys

Reaction score
But the HC can't control how well the QB is throwing the ball or making decisions. That's why you expect teams with the Johnny Manziels at QB to lose. There's really not much a team can do to lift the QB up when he's playing poorly, unless the rushing game is doing extremely well and the defense simply stifles the opposition completely. At the same time, there's not much the QB can do when the receivers are dropping too many balls, but those days aren't common.
He actually can. The HC/OC is supposed to set up the correct system to use the QB's skillset to the max. That's why the system is oh so important to any QB.

kskboys

Reaction score
HE IS NOT ELITE until he does it again. Dak isn't either, not until he shows he can lead us to the SB. Now we have the coaching,so we will see. Lamar had a special year last year. Is he that guy EVERY YEAR? Or was it a one year thing? This is a copycat league, and teams will also learn fast how to defend what made you successful last year. Look at how Tennessee beat the Ravens and Jackson. That will be the template. I still don't see how you put him ahead of Dak in anykind of ranking.
Yeah, I noticed the bus driver passing yardage was left out(3,127) as well as the fact that the WR's were barely used. The TE's caught most of his passes. According to the NFL in general, that sort of play is not sustainable. If Lamar can do what he did for at least another season, then I will move him up the charts. At present, I have him much lower than most do. However, I'm open to him changing my mind.

MarcusRock

Reaction score

This was not a list of "who's elite." This is some reporter who used his own ranking criteria to evaluate QBs. Is that widely used among MVP voters or the QB ranking circles? You really think Dak ranks #5 in all the league? Using your own historical referencing points, do you really think Dak is ahead of Rodgers even at this point given what Rodgers has produces for multiple years vs. Dak's up and down history?

Answer this question. If you take Mahommes' 2018 year (one year) vs. Dak being in the league longer and having a ROY to his credit vs. Mahommes' MVP season, would you have ranked Mahommes ahead of Dak at that point?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Anyone with half a brain knows Dak is one of the 10 best QBs in football.

That may sound like a low bar, but remember... we live in a country where 40-45% of the population is too stupid to properly assess factual information, and therefore dismiss facts that they don’t like altogether.

This board is no different.
So true, and why the blind are so quick to defend

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s good to see Dak getting the recognition he deserves, finally.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since his development was so obviously hindered by a staff that was horrendous at developing players, it's simply hard to judge him at present.

Please do not underestimate our intelligence!!!!
We can judge "Inept" when we see it.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Yeah, I noticed the bus driver passing yardage was left out(3,127) as well as the fact that the WR's were barely used. The TE's caught most of his passes. According to the NFL in general, that sort of play is not sustainable. If Lamar can do what he did for at least another season, then I will move him up the charts. At present, I have him much lower than most do. However, I'm open to him changing my mind.

I didn't "leave anything out," I spoke on what was relevant. You're siding with a guy touting Dak's rookie season where he threw for 3,600 yards. Is that not bus driver level? Dak only threw for 4,000+ yards for the first time year. Let's see. 3,600 yards vs. 3,100 yards while rushing for 1,200 and responsible for 43 TDs by air and land (4,300 total yards). Dak had 29 total (3,900 yards) in what was his best year according to QBR and QB Rating.

Same question for you: would you have ranked Dak ahead of Mahommes right after Mahommes' MVP season even though Dak had been in the league longer with a ROY to his credit?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Betchya I can find a writer, we never heard of, that thinks he's closer to 15.

Why do posters insist on using some of these people as sources? Do they already support your opinion and you think this validates that? It doesn't, you validate that opinion yourselves.

You have eyes and have probably watched him more than any of these people, the only opinion that really matters is your own. What even qualifies the writers with a name like Bayless, Cowerd, Sharpe, Simms and Smith or even the talking heads on pregame shows?

If you are looking to have your opinion reshaped, by all means source them all but I am not aware of many here not qualified to watch and form their own opinions. Opinions that share and defend here with very few ever changing that opinion.

kskboys

Reaction score
I didn't "leave anything out," I spoke on what was relevant. You're siding with a guy touting Dak's rookie season where he threw for 3,600 yards. Is that not bus driver level? Dak only threw for 4,000+ yards for the first time year. Let's see. 3,600 yards vs. 3,100 yards while rushing for 1,200 and responsible for 43 TDs by air and land (4,300 total yards). Dak had 29 total (3,900 yards) in what was his best year according to QBR and QB Rating.

Same question for you: would you have ranked Dak ahead of Mahommes right after Mahommes' MVP season even though Dak had been in the league longer with a ROY to his credit?
Yes, it was bus driver level.

I don't rank Dak or Lamar as high as most. Right now, I'd prolly take Garropolo over either, though it would definitely be a tough choice.

And no. Mahomes has been the best Qb in the NFL since he's been starting. He's a freak.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Betchya I can find a writer, we never heard of, that thinks he's closer to 15.

Why do posters insist on using some of these people as sources? Do they already support your opinion and you think this validates that? It doesn't, you validate that opinion yourselves.

You have eyes and have probably watched him more than any of these people, the only opinion that really matters is your own. What even qualifies the writers with a name like Bayless, Cowerd, Sharpe, Simms and Smith or even the talking heads on pregame shows?

If you are looking to have your opinion reshaped, by all means source them all but I am not aware of many here not qualified to watch and form their own opinions. Opinions that share and defend here with very few ever changing that opinion.

That's all it is. Validation vs. counter-validation and mix in a little controversy to get people talking. This one is some list based on criteria the reporter made up himself. Just like that "triplets" list I posted from NFL.com that time that had us ranked 3rd I think.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He actually can. The HC/OC is supposed to set up the correct system to use the QB's skillset to the max. That's why the system is oh so important to any QB.
Yes, but I'm not talking about the system or skill set. I'm talking about when the QB is just throwing behind receivers, etc.