NFLN: Official Review - TO "No force out" call was wrong

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
Mike Pereira just admitted that the call on the TO force out was wrong and the force out should have been called.

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
You would think we would have gotten the call after they messed up on the same call a week before.

Richmond Cowboy

Reaction score
didn't he score on that posession anyway? it did not have bearing on the outcome of the game.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Faerluna;1716296 said:
Mike Pereira just admitted that the call on the TO force out was wrong and the force out should have been called.
For those who don't get NFLN, that's rare for him to say an official actually made the wrong call.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
How about the Moss interference? no word on that i bet LOL

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
percyhoward;1716320 said:
For those who don't get NFLN, that's rare for him to say an official actually made the wrong call.

LOL. That's because they rarely every show something where the officials make the wrong call. They show plays where the official did an outstanding job and actually made the correct call and explain why it was correct.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Richmond Cowboy;1716309 said:
didn't he score on that posession anyway? it did not have bearing on the outcome of the game.

thats not the point. The point is, they missed a force out the week before and then they missed it again this week.

It doesn't matter if it had no impact on the game, its the fact that the officials cannot get easy calls right that is the problem.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
percyhoward;1716320 said:

I watch it over at NFL.com and rarely do they even ask about a play where the officials rule can be questioned. Usually its just gimmes.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wish they would have a half hour show with Mike Pereira just covering the Cowboy calls this year. At the rate they are going, that show will need to be an hour show by seasons end.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Faerluna;1716296 said:

I'm guessing the refs knew it was a force-out, but the rules don't let them do anything about it. The official who made the call said he got both feet down, so there was no reason to call a force-out. Once they went to replay, all that mattered was whether he got both feet down, and he didn't.

It's a flaw in the rules, or at least in the method of officiating. The NFL should have the officials call ATTEMPTED force-outs even when they rule that the receiver got both feet down. Then it -- correctly -- wouldn't matter if he did get both feet down, because it would be a force-out anyway.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1716342 said:
I'm guessing the refs knew it was a force-out, but the rules don't let them do anything about it. The official who made the call said he got both feet down, so there was no reason to call a force-out. Once they went to replay, all that mattered was whether he got both feet down, and he didn't.

It's a flaw in the rules, or at least in the method of officiating. The NFL should have the officials call ATTEMPTED force-outs even when they rule that the receiver got both feet down. Then it -- correctly -- wouldn't matter if he did get both feet down, because it would be a force-out anyway.

That's almost verbatim what he said, actually. The refs will need to call the force-out if that's what it appears to be, and the subsequent review will show if both feet were in.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1716342 said:

question for you adam - since they called for a review on getting his feet in, they really "can't" just review the whole play, can they? if not, what if *we* called for a ruling on a push out?

is that even reviewable? are there situations where you have to review the review to get to the bottom of a play?

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
That pass interference they called on Watkins in the 3rd quarter against Moss was offensive interference, not defensive. They same call they made against Fasano in the earlier as offensive interference earlier in the game.

Kilyin

Reaction score
iceberg;1716364 said:
question for you adam - since they called for a review on getting his feet in, they really "can't" just review the whole play, can they? if not, what if *we* called for a ruling on a push out?

is that even reviewable? are there situations where you have to review the review to get to the bottom of a play?

if it isn't ruled a force out on the field, it can't be reviewed.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
iceberg;1716364 said:

On any play that is reviewed, the referee reviews the entire play and can overturn anything that is reviewable. A force-out (or non-force-out) is not a reviewable part of the play.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Faerluna;1716358 said:
The refs will need to call the force-out if that's what it appears to be, and the subsequent review will show if both feet were in.

Did Pereira say that? I've never seen an NFL official rule both a completion (both feet in) and a force-out. If he's telling them to do that, then they're just not doing their jobs.

And even if it's not reviewable, the referee (the head official) should be able to ask the official who made the call whether there was a push-out on the play if the defense challenges the catch.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1716377 said:
Did Pereira say that? I've never seen an NFL official rule both a completion (both feet in) and a force-out. If he's telling them to do that, then they're just not doing their jobs.

And even if it's not reviewable, the referee (the head official) should be able to ask the official who made the call whether there was a push-out on the play if the defense challenges the catch.

He basically said that's what they would do going forward. He also said that he, personally, doesn't like the force-out rule.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Faerluna;1716385 said:
He basically said that's what they would do going forward.

Well it's about time.

He also said that he, personally, doesn't like the force-out rule.

Wide receiver jumps up -- defensive back catches him, carries him to the sideline and drops him out of bounds.

Incomplete pass, the receiver didn't get his feet down inbounds.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1716487 said:
Wide receiver jumps up -- defensive back catches him, carries him to the sideline and drops him out of bounds.

Incomplete pass, the receiver didn't get his feet down inbounds.

:muttley: