NFLN: Official Review - TO "No force out" call was wrong

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Faerluna;1716385 said:
He basically said that's what they would do going forward. He also said that he, personally, doesn't like the force-out rule.
Because of its subjective nature. He doesn't want to open up a can of worms where replay officials are using their judgment. But it all comes down to opinion anyway.

Taking the force-out rule out of the game would be a step backward. If anything, replay needs to be opened up even more, to include subjective interpretations of plays. Teams should be able to challenge a certain number of judgment calls per game. Pass interference, for example. There's usually one really bad PI call per game. Give teams the right to challenge one PI per game, and I think everyone would be happier.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
percyhoward;1716320 said:
For those who don't get NFLN, that's rare for him to say an official actually made the wrong call.
I think this is the 3rd time this year they have for us.

This one, the last play of the 1st half against Chicago, and Owens force out last week.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Forget the force-out, why did they call it a completion in the first place? He was never close to getting both feet in bounds, and the LJ was mere feet away. It was a screw-up all around.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
bbgun;1716500 said:
Forget the force-out, why did they call it a completion in the first place? He was never close to getting both feet in bounds, and the LJ was mere feet away. It was a screw-up all around.

You must have not even watched the game if you just said this. It's because the refs are incompetent.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
bbgun;1716500 said:
Huh?

He got his left foot down and the right foot was further in bounds than the left. If he hadn't got pushed he would have got both down. Even the NFL is admitting it.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1716377 said:
Did Pereira say that? I've never seen an NFL official rule both a completion (both feet in) and a force-out. If he's telling them to do that, then they're just not doing their jobs.

And even if it's not reviewable, the referee (the head official) should be able to ask the official who made the call whether there was a push-out on the play if the defense challenges the catch.

Well if the ref called both a completion AND a force-out, 1) it would be superfluous and 2) the play would not be reviewable, since the force out is a judgment call.

There's really no way to get around this loophole other than to allow a force out to be a reviewable play.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
peplaw06;1716528 said:
Well if the ref called both a completion AND a force-out, 1) it would be superfluous and 2) the play would not be reviewable, since the force out is a judgment call.

There's really no way to get around this loophole other than to allow a force out to be a reviewable play.

No, you let the refs call a possible force-out when it exists (when the receiver is forced close to the sideline). It's anything BUT "superfluous" when the defense challenges the catch or the booth reviews it.

Hypothetical play: One second to play in the Super Bowl. Fourth-and-goal from the 7-yard line with the offense trailing 28-24. The wide receiver leaps for the catch in the corner of the end zone, grabs the ball and starts to come down. The defensive back shoves him in an obvious attempt to force him out of bounds. The receiver gets his left foot in bounds by about a foot, and he drags his right toe as he goes flying out of bounds because of the shove. The official says he gets his toe inbounds and signals a touchdown. No need to signal the "superfluous" force-out, right? Wrong -- if the review shows that the receiver's toe came down barely out of bounds. If the official didn't signal the obvious force-out at the time -- even though he and everyone else with at least one good eye and half a brain knows it was a force-out -- then the offense is out of luck. The receiver's second foot was out of bounds, there was no force-out called at the time, the pass is incomplete, the game is over, and the Super Bowl ended with a farce.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Cowboys scored on the next play (pass to Owens), but it's the principle of it. It was an obvious call that the refs blew. It's the sort of thing that can get teams/players down...feeling like stuff just isn't going right for them.

Thankfully it had no effect on the drive, but y'never know.

Oldschool7

Benched
Reaction score
I say
K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid for those who don't know)

DON'T complicate the assignments of the refs.
DO empower the replay officials to override EVERY part of that call to make sure it's right.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Anyone with a set of eyes, an IQ of 80 and a TV set could have seen that it was a force out (much like the force out the previous week that went uncalled).

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
The NFL officials need to be investigated because it was a whole lot of call that should have and shouldn't have been called.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
The biggest problem with that play was the NFL rule. Because they ruled it a catch, when the play was challenged they couldnt look at the fact that he was pushed out. If a team is going challenge whether or not a guy got 2 feet down they HAVE to be able to determine if he was pushed out or not. No way would they have ruled it a push out if they thought he had 2 feet in.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Thehoofbite;1716325 said:
thats not the point. The point is, they missed a force out the week before and then they missed it again this week.

It doesn't matter if it had no impact on the game, its the fact that the officials cannot get easy calls right that is the problem.

Yeah. I couldnt believe it. Two weeks in a row.:mad:

DallasInDC

Reaction score
For those who don't get NFLN, that's rare for him to say an official actually made the wrong call.

Richmond Cowboy;1716309 said:
didn't he score on that posession anyway? it did not have bearing on the outcome of the game.

This is the reason why. I believe had the drive not resulted in a TD anyway he would have been silent on that non-call.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I just hope this error creates some awareness on the calls against the Cowboys.

Its happening more this year than in the past....

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Faerluna;1716296 said:
Mike Pereira just admitted that the call on the TO force out was wrong and the force out should have been called.

Hindsight is a *****. As for the Plaxico play, as far as I'm concern it's a fumble. The play is over when the whisle blows. Him saying forward progress decides when a play is over is bull****, because if that was the case. Barber would have been down long before entering the endzone on that play against the Patriots.

I call LIAR!

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score

They do it every week now. This spot plays every week, and if you don't have NFLN, you can watch it on NFL.com each week.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
nyc;1716752 said:
They do it every week now. This spot plays every week, and if you don't have NFLN, you can watch it on NFL.com each week.
Percy was talking about the fact that Mike P. can seemingly explain away every inexplicable call versus just coming right out and saying, "The officials got it wrong."

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
They should start fining officials for blowing too many calls. Give'em 1 per game. after that...ZOOM into the wallet! Most are lawyers and such anyway, they can afford it