Twitter: NFLPA pushing to eliminate offseason programs/practices

Adreme

Reaction score
Time to reduce these insane salaries. If they’re only working 5-6 months per year, they don’t need to be paid so highly.

The salaries are a percent of revenue. At least they are earning their half by actually taking years off their lives rather than the owners just sitting in a booth making more than all of them (there really is no easier job than owning an NFL team).

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Then correlates with paychecks......18 game season, etc.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
lol. I bet you are one of the people who says this about teachers also.

When the owners give up their insane profit then get back to me about the players. Tickets, parking, concessions etc...go up every year. The league was better when billionaires were not the owners of the teams.
I think you would be surprised how little NFL owners actually make compared to what people think they make. Most profit goes back into the team. The Cowboys would be one of the exceptions to this rule, but some teams actually struggle or lose money. The majority of money that sports franchise owners make is in the valuation of the team, not year over year profits.

Techsass

Reaction score
I think most, especially the marquee players, keep working out all year. I don't know if they have access to the team's facilities & trainers, but I bet they get an idea of what they need to work on.

What I think they can't quit are the playbook practices. You can read up on physical activities all you want, but you'll never master it until you actually do it.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
The salaries are a percent of revenue. At least they are earning their half by actually taking years off their lives rather than the owners just sitting in a booth making more than all of them (there really is no easier job than owning an NFL team).

You want the owners to play?

dwreck27

Reaction score
Cool try it out....

If injuries see a noticeable rise then they need to have a long hard discussion if it helps with “wear and tear” compared to “season ending injuries”

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Cool try it out....

If injuries see a noticeable rise then they need to have a long hard discussion if it helps with “wear and tear” compared to “season ending injuries”
Yep and that happens all the time. Non contact injuries which are often the worst. The only way to get in football shape is to play football.

Adreme

Reaction score
You want the owners to play?

I would want them to not make so drastically more than the people actually taking the punishment. There is no risk, either financially or physically owning an NFL team, its basically just free money at this point with no real work needed.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Time to reduce these insane salaries. If they’re only working 5-6 months per year, they don’t need to be paid so highly.

I have no issue with a man negotiating the best wage that he can possibly get.

the problem that I have here is that this change affects us the consumer because it reduces the quality of the product on the field.

As you say they are paid well so they should work hard in my opinion.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I think you would be surprised how little NFL owners actually make compared to what people think they make. Most profit goes back into the team. The Cowboys would be one of the exceptions to this rule, but some teams actually struggle or lose money. The majority of money that sports franchise owners make is in the valuation of the team, not year over year profits.

Anywhere from $38m to $425m with an average of about $120m.

5 years ago the Buffalo bills were sold for $1.2b.

You are not going to get that kind of return of investment anywhere particularly in this climate.

Most NFL owners didn't spend a dime as they inherited the franchise. The rest bought it for less than what the Buffalo bills paid.

catiii

Reaction score
I can't possibly imagine being a professional at any sport whether it be Irish Dancing or Karate or Rugby or Golf, and ceasing workouts and training for 6 months out of every year, then going back to compete with no training, warmups, or any sort of training camp, except perhaps bass fishing. :lmao:We can do dat down here on Robicheaux Bayou with no training camps.
This is a silly proposal for football.
Poor performance and injuries will both increase.

Last edited:

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I would want them to not make so drastically more than the people actually taking the punishment. There is no risk, either financially or physically owning an NFL team, its basically just free money at this point with no real work needed.
That is 100% false. Teams actually lose money on occasion, its why many franchises relocate. Outside of the Cowboys most dont make nearly as much as you probably think. It's been a while since i've looked up revenue figures, but the average team makes around $400-$500M in annual revenue. 48% of that makes up the salary cap. Now add in salaries coaches/scouts/Front office/administrative/Cheerleading/stadium workers, etc. Stadiums (many are heavily tax payer funded to be fair), travel expenses, practice facilities, player medical costs, and on and on. Year over year profits are slim for most owners.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Then don't agree to an expanded season. They don't seem to care about prolonging careers when you dangle an extra game check. Good chance this actually shortens careers. This is great news for established vets with guaranteed contracts, bad news for the other 75% of players.

no if offset by fewer preseason and less camp activities. League wants to add a game - they are going to have to give up some stuff to get it.

The players are all for raising revenue but need concessions on other items to reduce wear.

This really seems pretty simple - that is assuming more than a single brain cell at use though, so maybe I've given you too much credit.

Adreme

Reaction score
That is 100% false. Teams actually lose money on occasion, its why many franchises relocate. Outside of the Cowboys most dont make nearly as much as you probably think. It's been a while since i've looked up revenue figures, but the average team makes around $400-$500M in annual revenue. 48% of that makes up the salary cap. Now add in salaries coaches/scouts/Front office/administrative/Cheerleading/stadium workers, etc. Stadiums (many are heavily tax payer funded to be fair), travel expenses, practice facilities, player medical costs, and on and on. Year over year profits are slim for most owners.

They run between 50 and 70 million for most owners per year. Now technically considering the size of the investment this is not a substantial amount (NFL teams are technically overvalued due to both the safe nature of the investment and the fact that its a "sexy" thing to own), but its also the least work imaginable.

By the way that number will go WAY up starting next year once the new revenue kicks in which is why the salary cap was originally projected to skyrocket over the next couple years.

Adreme

Reaction score
Sounds awfully red of you.

I do not know what that means that I do not really favor people getting paid to basically do nothing then yes. I mean maybe there are people who are okay with someone making tons of money for doing nothing versus making very little for lots of work, but those people are weird to me.