Twitter: NFLPA pushing to eliminate offseason programs/practices

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The article claims that the NFL is the only league that has an off-season program which I suppose is true but not all leagues are created equal.

The NFL season goes on for 4 months. Major league baseball plays 162 games over 6 months. The NBA plays for 7 months. I don't know that much about hockey but their season seems to be commensurate with basketball.

Football players play once a week for 4 months and that's it.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Okay that's fair so one of the worst teams in the league lost money for a few years and made all of it up and more in a single year a few years later.

Meanwhile the average NFL owner averages 9 figures in profit.

It should also be noted that the initial investment was 4.1 million.

In a world where you can't get a CD for better than 1%, I cannot feel that the NFL is a tremendous return on investment with very little risk. Then there's the dynastic element to the whole thing.
And just for clarification purposes i am not feeling sorry for any owner. The discussion of owner profit came up, and most of what i was referencing was strictly year over year profit. The majority of the revenue figures that woo people goes right back into the franchise. The money that gets made is in the valuation of the franchise....which as you mentioned Detroit was purchased for a few million about 80 years ago, now worth over two billion.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
This issue has nothing to do with the 17th game, that's already been negotiated and approved. If you want to be a dick about it though ill just end the conversation here.

Really. The CBA has been modified to reflect a 17th game and that change has been ratified by the NFLPA.

Oh wait, it hasn't.

Reaction score
The complexities and teamwork required to play good football offensively and defensively requires a lot of practice. Much more so than other sports. It's the ultimate team sport. And to play as a cohesive unit, you need reps. Ask any NFL coach.

We have seen this year what happens when a new defense is implemented without OTA's and practice. This defense looked totally lost for most of the year. Especially the back end. Even though they have started to turn the ball over, there are periods when they look like they have no clue what they are doing.

Zoom meetings are all well and good. But there is no replacing being on a practice field working on your systems through repetition, new or not.

If these guys don't this work is worth several million dollars (and more for good players) and multi-generational wealth, then they should do something else.

Teacher, engineering, IT, janitors, first responders, garbage pick up. All are noble vocations

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mini camps and OTA's are useless. The players back in the day didn't have a problem playing into shape at camp and preseason, they need to make camp tougher.

The NFL needs to address the pathetic tackling but then again that contributes to the increased scoring that they want. I have never seen so many Venus de Milo tackles in one season. They act like they just got their nails done.

EJK24

Reaction score
I have no issue with anyone taking up for the players where they are saying their careers are short and they are trying to save wear and tear and all that good stuff, but I guess I look at it from a perspective of being a fan.

As a fan I look at this as a bad thing. I think whatever injuries you think your avoiding, we will have that many more related to conditioning issues and things of that nature.

And maybe I'm alone here and ill take whatever comes my way for it, but im not going to shed a tear for these guys having to actually go to work and put the work in when they feel its "unnecessary" or "unfair." When you compare their salary to what probably 99 percent of this board population makes in comparison to what work they have to put in to make ends meet and things of that nature, I simply feel like they are being unreasonable. I dont feel for these players in that sense. You could get hurt, you would like to spend that time away doing God knows what, but you get paid to do a job and you get paid damn good.

Yes their careers are shorter then the average person, no doubt about it. But if your even relatively smart/careful with your finances, you get the trade off of retiring young and living a great life after working doing a job you loved for years.

Once again, I understand how people could see the players side of things and im not defending the owners either. This is strictly me speaking from a fans side of things. Owners and players fighting is billionaires and millionaires arguing. I am neither and don't really particularly feel the need to defend either one of them.

And lastly, I'm a union guy and have always been so I get where this comes from on their side. As a fan though, not interested in making the product worse and I can't see anything good coming from this.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
This attempt by the NFLPA president to end offseason conditioning is wussification personified. There will be a 17th game added to next season's regular schedule and only a matter of short time before an 18th regular-season game added. The players need the conditioning during the offseason to make it through a long season as healthy as possible. This is a bad move motivated by good intentions.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
or it could be they are worried about their long term health. The league has shown they do not care about the players once they can no longer help them win a game so the union is doing exactly what a union is supposed to do.

and its always been about the money. That is why in 87 selfish players like joe montana, danny white, randy white etc..crossed the picket line because they wanted their big salaries and didn't care about the players making less.

Long term health SHOULD be handled by the league. Take care of your vets and make sure they get the best treatment and nice retirement packages.

But to cut out offseason workouts will backfire and harm players rather than protect them.

Cwby41

Reaction score

not sure if this is a good or a bad thing... I think it’s good for teams to get the extra prep work in.

Just look at the amount of injuries around the league with out the same training and practices. This league keeps getting softer and softer. Less hitting in practice, less practices less preseason games= sloppier play, poor tackling more injuries

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I can do without the June glorified walkthrough practices. Just go back to old school training camps. Begin camp in late July and play in late Aug or early Sept.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
These guys need more time with the team, more time on the field atleast without pads/helmet. Most of these guys spend time being trained in 3rd party gyms/arena's. Teams should be able to provide that type of training and classroom learning should be unlimited.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The article claims that the NFL is the only league that has an off-season program which I suppose is true but not all leagues are created equal.

The NFL season goes on for 4 months. Major league baseball plays 162 games over 6 months. The NBA plays for 7 months. I don't know that much about hockey but their season seems to be commensurate with basketball.

Football players play once a week for 4 months and that's it.
or 16 hours a year unless there's OT :lmao:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
And just for clarification purposes i am not feeling sorry for any owner. The discussion of owner profit came up, and most of what i was referencing was strictly year over year profit. The majority of the revenue figures that woo people goes right back into the franchise. The money that gets made is in the valuation of the franchise....which as you mentioned Detroit was purchased for a few million about 80 years ago, now worth over two billion.

Most of the growth over the last 50 years is the result of either sweet stadium deals where they get stadiums for free or very little investment or from TV contracts that are negotiated by the trust.

When it says the Detroit Lions made 73 million dollars in 2017 that means that the ownership got to take that home otherwise it would have been included in the expenses.

I just think it's funny that Jerry Jones who makes nearly 500 million dollars every year was thought to be broke and unable to pay signing bonuses a few years ago.

Tussinman

Reaction score
LMAO. I don't even know where to begin

1. Of course they want more money to due less work, pure human nature
2. " NFL is the only league that has an off-season program" isn't a good sticking point when most pro leagues last 2-3 months longer thann the NFL. Really kills the narrative of "where doing more than them by havingn off-season"
3. Picked the absolutely worst time to bring this issue up, most teams are having career years injury wise due to lack of off-season work
4. Funny that they want fully guranteed contracts but they don't want to give the owners/coaches assurance that they are actually conditioning in the off-season. Funny that.