Twitter: NFLPA votes to send proposed CBA to full membership

erod

Reaction score
Owners will ALWAYS win because the majority of the league is made up of the guys 20-52nd guys in rosters who can’t afford for a work stoppage.
In this case, that's good. The top end guys shouldn't get to decide for everybody, just like California, New York, and Texas don't get to make decisions for the rest of the country.

NFL careers average 3.5 years. Those guys don't have time to waste away years.

They're getting rid of suspensions for marijuana. Goodell is no longer the judge and jury. The salary cap went up. Only one franchise tag now.

What they really need is a LOWER veteran minimum salary. That is costing some decent players a chance to extend their careers.

erod

Reaction score
For what it matters, nothing much, my impression is that Stephen believes that ratification will be a huge step toward finishing off the deal with Dak. Reading between the lines, essentially, it seems talks came to a halt because it seemed a bad idea for both sides, given how its approval or not would impact the overall landscape. I won't be surprised if, once approved, it is announced within a day or two that Dak has signed.
And it will almost definitely mean the end here for Cooper and Byron.

Swanny

Reaction score
really? so what is bad about this deal? I dont even want to hear about the extra game being so dangerous. Teams that go to the playoffs play that 17th game every year. Canadian league, dont they play 18 games? I dont see how this is a bad deal for the players.... if you think it is and union leadership has sold players out, tell me how?
I honestly don't know anything about the deal. I don't pay enough attention to the NFL to care. All I care about now is Cowboys news. More games is absolutely a HUGE DEAL. My biggest thing I would want as a player rep is lifetime health insurance for players that have played for over 2 years in the NFL. These players sacrifice their brain to entertain fans. They deserve to be taken care of. Maybe that is in the deal? I don't know and I honestly don't care I don't watch enough to really care.
I do know I heard a former NFL player on my local radio station who was complaining about how the union doesn't care about past players. He had to pay for his knee to be rebuilt the same knee he blew up in the NFL. Years later it needed more attention. NFL doesn't cover it. What Bill Bates is going through right now should be covered. Bates destroyed himself to entertain us. It's sad to see.

As far as it being clear that the union doesn't care about it members and only cares about money. They clearly know NFL players use PEDs, they know PEDs make guys bigger and faster than a human should be while head protection (skull) will never ever ever change. These players are getting so big and fast that they have lost good technique and use the head far too often. Union and the owners don't care because it makes the product better to watch and players recover from injury faster. The money has become more important than player safety.

Once the union adopts REAL drug testing then I'll believe they care about it's members. And yes I do believe Pot should be allowed for these players ignore positive Marijuana tests. Test for other drugs including PEDs.

erod

Reaction score
NFL only EVER cared about not getting sued, so all the rule changes were and are about eliminating negligence lawsuits. Possibly they care about the PR of former players who are wrecked mentally like Bill Bates and they want to appear that they are doing what's right there. As technology gets better we will probably be better able to determine individual risk of long term issues from repeated head trauma, but all the studies out there right now are crap.

Players are gladiators and frankly the frontal lobe isn't even fully developed until one is 25. You don't see many guys with the perspective to say it isn't worth it.
And that shouldn't be up to you or anyone who pretends they care.

These guys can make their own decisions, and the league is enforcing things to help prevent these injuries. They'll always be unavoidable until they figure out how to cushion the brain inside the skull. There is no helmet or rule that can possibly do that.

Far more players leave the NFL with their mental capacity intact than those who don't. And LOTS of people get dementia in this world who never played a down of football in their lives.

Roger Staubach had multiple concussions, then he built a billion-dollar real estate development firm. He's still sharp as a tack. A lot of this is just DNA, not to mention diet related. And don't forget the abuse of steroids and other performance enhancing drugs, not to mention heavy use of narcotics for both recreation and pain relief.

There are tons of concussions in soccer, boxing, UFC, car racing, etc. Are we going to wrap ourselves in bubble wrap and play video games all day?

The main problem with these "studies" is that they are so agenda-laden, we'll never get an honest data collection.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I honestly don't know anything about the deal. I don't pay enough attention to the NFL to care. All I care about now is Cowboys news. More games is absolutely a HUGE DEAL. My biggest thing I would want as a player rep is lifetime health insurance for players that have played for over 2 years in the NFL. These players sacrifice their brain to entertain fans. They deserve to be taken care of. Maybe that is in the deal? I don't know and I honestly don't care I don't watch enough to really care.
I do know I heard a former NFL player on my local radio station who was complaining about how the union doesn't care about past players. He had to pay for his knee to be rebuilt the same knee he blew up in the NFL. Years later it needed more attention. NFL doesn't cover it. What Bill Bates is going through right now should be covered. Bates destroyed himself to entertain us. It's sad to see.

As far as it being clear that the union doesn't care about it members and only cares about money. They clearly know NFL players use PEDs, they know PEDs make guys bigger and faster than a human should be while head protection (skull) will never ever ever change. These players are getting so big and fast that they have lost good technique and use the head far too often. Union and the owners don't care because it makes the product better to watch and players recover from injury faster. The money has become more important than player safety.

Once the union adopts REAL drug testing then I'll believe they care about it's members. And yes I do believe Pot should be allowed for these players ignore positive Marijuana tests. Test for other drugs including PEDs.

Owners do not care about players, honestly neither do I. I dont want to see any of them hurt, and I certainly do not want Bill Bates in the condition he is in.... but all players currently know the risks. They do not need to play, they are not being forced to play.... they want to play. They are paid VERY WELL for the risks they take. In addition, rules are in place to ensure player safety, im not sure what more you want owners to do. The game is dangerous, and you can not make rules that take away the risks... if you do, you no longer have football. And yes, players are bigger and faster, just like in EVERY SPORT. Fury Vs Wilder had 2 figters.... one 6'7" 215 lbs, vs the other 6'9" 270 lbs.

Tennis players are 6'9", NBA players are bigger, stronger , faster. It isnt all PEDs, and if players take them, thats on them. The UNION DAMN SURE cant adopt drug testing... that comes from the league. The union IS THE PLAYERS.
2 years for lifetime health?????? , well damn, I did 4 years in the military, how bout giving us lifetime health before football players get it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
older players would do the exact same thing. They sued because they knew they were gonna win because they were lied to about studies the NFL had done. The league new the risks far more than the players and hid it from them. Players know today, so they arent going to win any lawsuit about health issues .

Like me going skiing, breaking my leg and then suing the resort....... not gonna happen. You can sue for anything, doesnt mean you will win.

Some of that was money that was behind withheld from the NFLPA that was due them.

Swanny

Reaction score
Owners do not care about players, honestly neither do I. I dont want to see any of them hurt, and I certainly do not want Bill Bates in the condition he is in.... but all players currently know the risks. They do not need to play, they are not being forced to play.... they want to play. They are paid VERY WELL for the risks they take. In addition, rules are in place to ensure player safety, im not sure what more you want owners to do. The game is dangerous, and you can not make rules that take away the risks... if you do, you no longer have football. And yes, players are bigger and faster, just like in EVERY SPORT. Fury Vs Wilder had 2 figters.... one 6'7" 215 lbs, vs the other 6'9" 270 lbs.

Tennis players are 6'9", NBA players are bigger, stronger , faster. It isnt all PEDs, and if players take them, thats on them. The UNION DAMN SURE cant adopt drug testing... that comes from the league. The union IS THE PLAYERS.
2 years for lifetime health?????? , well damn, I did 4 years in the military, how bout giving us lifetime health before football players get it.
You do deserve lifetime healthcare if in the military. You deserve better. The government is a joke.

I guess I just care about the players health, you don't and I don't blame you. But I really don't care to argue. I don't care enough to argue. One thing I would love to discuss is why you don't get lifetime health insurance for putting your life on the line to defend our freedom. wrong place to discuss though.

_sturt_

Reaction score
And it will almost definitely mean the end here for Cooper and Byron.

Did I miss something? I confess I'm not paying very good attention, but I thought as long as we sign one or the other, we still should be able to franchise one or the other... ??? So, theoretically, you sign Dak, and then, worse-case, franchise Amari. No?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
And that shouldn't be up to you or anyone who pretends they care.

These guys can make their own decisions, and the league is enforcing things to help prevent these injuries. They'll always be unavoidable until they figure out how to cushion the brain inside the skull. There is no helmet or rule that can possibly do that.

Far more players leave the NFL with their mental capacity intact than those who don't. And LOTS of people get dementia in this world who never played a down of football in their lives.

Roger Staubach had multiple concussions, then he built a billion-dollar real estate development firm. He's still sharp as a tack. A lot of this is just DNA, not to mention diet related. And don't forget the abuse of steroids and other performance enhancing drugs, not to mention heavy use of narcotics for both recreation and pain relief.

There are tons of concussions in soccer, boxing, UFC, car racing, etc. Are we going to wrap ourselves in bubble wrap and play video games all day?

The main problem with these "studies" is that they are so agenda-laden, we'll never get an honest data collection.

That last bit shows a decided lack of understanding of how peer review works. If someone is fudging data then there are thousands of scientists and their institutions to call it out. The method also requires repeatability so institutions like the NFL can repeat the experiment.

BatteryPowered

Reaction score
Just some of the bullet points:

Expanded roster (more jobs)
Expanded practice squad (more jobs)
Increase in revenue share to 48.5% (est of $5 BILLION over the contract and the highest percentage in US sports)
Fewer padded practices
More days off during camp
Increase in minimum salary
Increase in salary floor
More playoff bonus money

Some of you really think NFL players not at the top of the salary structure are going to vote against those things? It passes.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
65% of players make under 1M a year so the 17th game will have no negative effect on them and they need to work.

The question is will the increase in the players' share and cap increase filter down to them? But the bigger question is what else would they be doing to earn as much as they are in the NFL for however long they play?

The NFLPA never had any leverage in this to keep it from going forward. Them that's got money gots power and them that gots the most money gots the most power. The owners were never worried about this, they're more concerned with the next TV deals.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Sounds like they are trying to take the 'collective' out of the collective bargaining agreement

How so? The "collective" is about to vote on the deal. Every player gets a vote and the majority determine the outcome. Not only that, the players can contact their rep at anytime to provide them input on where they stand and what they want.

HungryLion

Reaction score
That last bit shows a decided lack of understanding of how peer review works. If someone is fudging data then there are thousands of scientists and their institutions to call it out. The method also requires repeatability so institutions like the NFL can repeat the experiment.

Nah I’m pretty sure Erod knows more about CTE than doctors, because after all, “people who don’t play football get dementia”. Nevermind the fact that CTE and dementia are two different diseases.

erod

Reaction score
Just some of the bullet points:

Expanded roster (more jobs)
Expanded practice squad (more jobs)
Increase in revenue share to 48.5% (est of $5 BILLION over the contract and the highest percentage in US sports)
Fewer padded practices
More days off during camp
Increase in minimum salary
Increase in salary floor
More playoff bonus money

Some of you really think NFL players not at the top of the salary structure are going to vote against those things? It passes.

It'll probably pass, but that doesn't bode well.

Bigger rosters doesn't really matter. You think Patrick Mahomes or Zack Martin are going to play fewer games because there are more people on the roster? The players not in the NFL simply aren't good enough to play in the NFL.

The league already a shadow of what it was in the 90s. Fewer practices are leading to more injuries, not less, and the tackling and fundamentals are sliding steeply. That's part of the reason defense is just awful today. It's not just the rules and passing offenses.

erod

Reaction score
Did I miss something? I confess I'm not paying very good attention, but I thought as long as we sign one or the other, we still should be able to franchise one or the other... ??? So, theoretically, you sign Dak, and then, worse-case, franchise Amari. No?
The new CBA deal under consideration eliminates one of the tag options.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

If you got an honorable discharge then you have it through the VA. I retired and have it through Tricare.

_sturt_

Reaction score
The new CBA deal under consideration eliminates one of the tag options.

Right.

So, just sayin, as long as you sign Dak straight-up, you still have a tag you can use on Amari if necessary.

I don't want to jinx anything, but I feel like that's exactly what is likely: the Dak deal will get done, and Amari will get tagged.

erod

Reaction score
Right.

So, just sayin, as long as you sign Dak straight-up, you still have a tag you can use on Amari if necessary.

I don't want to jinx anything, but I feel like that's exactly what is likely: the Dak deal will get done, and Amari will get tagged.
Yes, that's correct, and that's probably what they want to do.

Dak wants a short deal so he can do this again in 3 years. Dallas wants a longer deal with outs.

I hope they tag him, let Cooper walk, draft CeeDee Lamb (who's better than Cooper), and sign Byron.