NFL's Fastest Players

GMO415

Reaction score
I rewatched this garbage and I couldn't believe who they had at #1. Bullet Bob Hayes was once clocked at 5.28 in the 60-yard dash. The NFL din't have any record of 40 times for Bob Hayes. If you convert the time to the 40, Bullet Bob would have ran a sub 4.0!

The man was thee fastest man in the world, yet he came in on this list as #2.

Last edited:

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I rewatched this garbage and I couldn't believe who they had at #1. Bullet Bob Hayes was once clocked at 5.28 in the 60-yard dash. The NFL din't have any record of 40 times for Bob Hayes. If you convert the time to the 40, Bullet Bob would have ran a sub 4.0!

Bullet Bob Hayes speed/run as the anchor leg for Olympic Gold in the 4x4 100 relay is track and field legend.

Unlike many track stars wanting to be football stars, he could translate his speed to the football field with NFL Hall of Fame results. Why? Because, he was a football player that happened to be the fastest man in the world.

Until someone in the NFL can hold up a gold medal in the 100M, and be a NFL Hall of Fame player, Bob Hayes is no.1 and anyone else is fake hype.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Bullet Bob Hayes speed/run as the anchor leg for Olympic Gold in the 4x4 100 relay is track and field legend.

Unlike many track stars wanting to be football stars, he could translate his speed to the football field with NFL Hall of Fame results. Why? Because, he was a football player that happened to be the fastest man in the world.

Until someone in the NFL can hold up a gold medal in the 100M, and be a NFL Hall of Fame player, Bob Hayes is no.1 and anyone else is fake hype.

There are players who play faster with pads in clutch situations, and players who play slow. Bob Hayes was a speed demon in his prime, but he never looked like he was breaking away from the secondary on every play, which he should have been if he ran as fast as he did in the olympics. Safeties would have to play 40 yards downfield and the cowboys would win every game 50-0. But he wasn't THAT fast. He was just really fast.

Desean Jackson ran a 4.35 at the combine, but time and time again he burns 4.3 corners. He says he's been clocked at 4.27 IN GEAR. It's a known phenomenon.

followthestar

Reaction score
Cant' argue with Olympic Gold I gotta say. I can only vaguely recall him and Lance Alworth etc but Hayes really did change the game with his speed, and his ability to catch. Catching is one thing, defending is another.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score

Is that true? What would Deion have run if it was converted to a 60 yard dash? Don't forget you don't reach top speed till you get to around half way in the 40 yard dash so that has to be taken into consideration.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Darrel Green was fast. He wasn’t literaly the fadtest man on earth. Bob Hayes was.

Hayes is the second Olympic gold medalist to be inducted to the Hall of Fame, after Jim Thorpe. He currently holds the record for the fastest 4 × 100 m anchor leg of all time, as well as the world record for the 70-yard dash (with a time of 6.9 seconds). He also is tied for the world's second fastest time in the 60-yard dash. He was once considered the world's fastest human by virtue of his multiple world records in the 60-yard, 100-yard, 220-yard, and Olympic 100-meter dashes. Hayes is the only athlete to win both an Olympic gold medal and a Super Bowl ring.

Game over

DFWJC

Reaction score
The problem with these lists us that itsa popularity contest.
Chris Johnson is faster than most of those in front of him.
None of he ran an official 4.24.....we arent talking mythical times on someones home turf, but actual real 40 times.
And Johnson played as fast and he timed. I mean, just look at the film. Its nuts.

Hayes had that 100 meter long speed though.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Deion, Joey Galloway, DeSean Jackson, Tyreek Hill. Those guys seemed to have another gear.

I'll believe Bob Hayes ran 60 yards in 5.28 seconds when I see it. That seems like hero worship to me.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
First, that's Wikipedia. Second, it says 5.9 seconds not the 5.28 claim I responded to. Huge difference.

First 5.9 is still a sub 4.0 40yd... but I'd you want 5.28... here you go

http://www.espn.com/page2/s/wiley/020920.html

Or this one

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sou...aw2TPTcwurh--dB3CMXWXm3e&ust=1553038704921029

Or this one

http://dailydsports.com/bob-hayes/

Regardless if you believe 5.28 or 5.9 it would still make him the fastest man in the NFL (or at least in competition with Renaldo Nehemiah for the title).

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First 5.9 is still a sub 4.0 40yd... but I'd you want 5.28... here you go

http://www.espn.com/page2/s/wiley/020920.html

Or this one

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjyiPOT7ozhAhWjSt8KHf6SBnQQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/article/Bob-Hayes-was-trailblazer-for-track-stars-in-NFL-7305985.php&psig=AOvVaw2TPTcwurh--dB3CMXWXm3e&ust=1553038704921029

Or this one

http://dailydsports.com/bob-hayes/

Regardless if you believe 5.28 or 5.9 it would still make him the fastest man in the NFL (or at least in competition with Renaldo Nehemiah for the title).

Seems like an urban legend "it's said he once was clocked at" with no proof.

I call BS. There's no way in hell he ran 60 yards in 5.28 seconds. I realize he's your hero and everything but I'm not buying it. I don't think he was any faster on a football field than Deion Sanders.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Ever seen Usain Bolt run the 100m? He's never out front after the first 40 yards. There are a 100 guys who could beat him in a 40 yard dash. But he builds speed as the race goes and when he finally gets to top speed, nobody can touch him. Point is that the 40 is more about explosion and acceleration than speed. You can't compare a guys 60 yard or 100M time and project it to a 40 yard time.

Bob Hayes was fast for his era but track and field is progressive. Hayes couldn't touch Carl Lewis in a 100M dash. Carl Lewis wouldn't have even made the US track team as a sprinter last olympics. Dudes are just getting faster.

GMO415

Reaction score
Cant' argue with Olympic Gold I gotta say. I can only vaguely recall him and Lance Alworth etc but Hayes really did change the game with his speed, and his ability to catch. Catching is one thing, defending is another.
25 yard average....that's insane. Hahaha