NFL's Fastest Players

glimmerman

Reaction score
Every year these kids get stronger and faster. Someone will come along and run some crazy 40 time.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Deion was the fastest. Fans and media hate Deion which causes them to make some silly video like this.

The Raiders had multiple WRs that had been olympic sprinters and they tried going deep on Deion. It was not even close on any of their attempts. Deion was so far past them that it looked like he was back to return a punt.
I don't know whether he was faster on the track, but Deion Sanders had to be the fastest guy to play on the field. It amazed me how he would run right pass guys who were close enough to tackle him. He'd hit another gear, and he was gone. It was like guys were just standing still. He is the most phenomenal football player I have ever seen play.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Who needs Gold Metals when Pro Baseball and Pro Football teams are paying you millions?

Deion went to the combine, walked off the Hotel Shuttle, ran his sub-4.2 forty, got back on the Shuttle and went home.

People in attendance said he didn't warm up or run the optional 2nd forty. He didn't even stay to see his time according to some.

Personally Deion is an arse but as an athlete he could do things no other player has done before or after.
Deion single handedly elevated and revolutionized the corner position. Now, instead of wanting to play receiver or running back, many kids want to play corner. And all of them want to be like Deion.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
Bullet Bob Hayes speed/run as the anchor leg for Olympic Gold in the 4x4 100 relay is track and field legend.

Unlike many track stars wanting to be football stars, he could translate his speed to the football field with NFL Hall of Fame results. Why? Because, he was a football player that happened to be the fastest man in the world.

Until someone in the NFL can hold up a gold medal in the 100M, and be a NFL Hall of Fame player, Bob Hayes is no.1 and anyone else is fake hype.

Exactly. The Olympic gold medalist is the fastest man in the world. Bullet Bob is #1, and there is no valid argument otherwise.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
Ever seen Usain Bolt run the 100m? He's never out front after the first 40 yards. There are a 100 guys who could beat him in a 40 yard dash. But he builds speed as the race goes and when he finally gets to top speed, nobody can touch him. Point is that the 40 is more about explosion and acceleration than speed. You can't compare a guys 60 yard or 100M time and project it to a 40 yard time.

Bob Hayes was fast for his era but track and field is progressive. Hayes couldn't touch Carl Lewis in a 100M dash. Carl Lewis wouldn't have even made the US track team as a sprinter last olympics. Dudes are just getting faster.
Wrong. You dont build speed during a race. You are at top speed within the first 15 meters. After that, it becomes all about who maintains speed best.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wrong. You dont build speed during a race. You are at top speed within the first 15 meters. After that, it becomes all about who maintains speed best.

You obviously have no track experience b/c you are dead wrong. Top speed is at 30-40M

Last edited:

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
Ever seen Usain Bolt run the 100m? He's never out front after the first 40 yards. There are a 100 guys who could beat him in a 40 yard dash. But he builds speed as the race goes and when he finally gets to top speed, nobody can touch him. Point is that the 40 is more about explosion and acceleration than speed. You can't compare a guys 60 yard or 100M time and project it to a 40 yard time.

Bob Hayes was fast for his era but track and field is progressive. Hayes couldn't touch Carl Lewis in a 100M dash. Carl Lewis wouldn't have even made the US track team as a sprinter last olympics. Dudes are just getting faster.

Didn’t he just run a 40 in 4.21 in sweats and sneakers before the combine? Man I’d hate to see how fast he really is if he was just “building up speed”

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/www.runnersworld.com/news/amp26074900/usain-bolt-40-yard-dash/

But yeah, 100 guys can beat him in the 40.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I don't know whether he was faster on the track, but Deion Sanders had to be the fastest guy to play on the field. It amazed me how he would run right pass guys who were close enough to tackle him. He'd hit another gear, and he was gone. It was like guys were just standing still. He is the most phenomenal football player I have ever seen play.
exactly. fast is fast & in a straight line who knows who would win. But on a football field, Deion's speed was just different. His gliding speed was faster than 99.5% of the NFL. But what sets him apart was he had extra gears no matter the situation. From a dead stop. While making cuts. While juking. While running what you thought was top speed. He could just accelerate from any situation and make really fast players look foolish. He was like Barry Sanders with 10 more gears.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Fastest player I’ve seen in person playing football is Deion.
This.

We can go back and forth forever on who was technically faster, but nobody's speed has ever impacted a game more than Deion.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/www.runnersworld.com/news/amp26074900/usain-bolt-40-yard-dash/

But yeah, 100 guys can beat him in the 40.

100 professional sprinters not NFL players. Bolt tied John Ross's NFL record at 4.22 seconds. Ross isn't even on the professional sprinting radar. Anyone that follows track and field know that Bolt doesn't get to top speed for 40-50 meters......

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. In a straight up race, I'll take Bolt against anyone.

I don’t think I’ve ever even seen him fully push himself an entire race either, who knows how fast you really are until you’re running for your life.

That’s why the combine should have a big cat chasing them down, get a real feel for speed.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Deion single handedly elevated and revolutionized the corner position. Now, instead of wanting to play receiver or running back, many kids want to play corner. And all of them want to be like Deion.

It's too bad Deion is such an arse considering how many kids try to emulate him. At least he didn't do drugs or even drink alcohol.

I think I might go back and time both Deion and Hayes running down the field.

I don't believe Hayes wa as fast as Deion.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
100 professional sprinters not NFL players. Bolt tied John Ross's NFL record at 4.22 seconds. Ross isn't even on the professional sprinting radar. Anyone that follows track and field know that Bolt doesn't get to top speed for 40-50 meters.........not yards......meters.

You said 100 guys, on an NFL forum. Most would assume you meant 100 guys are faster than bolt in the nfl running a 40.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Hayes should be #1 on this list, no doubt about it. He was the gold medalist and world champion in the 100m/yards. As others said, he single-handedly necessitated the creation of zone defenses.

And you can't compare track times to football 40s because sprinters have to react to the gun. Football players get to go when they feel like it, including loading up into their start, and then the timer begins. That makes a huge difference.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are players who play faster with pads in clutch situations, and players who play slow. Bob Hayes was a speed demon in his prime, but he never looked like he was breaking away from the secondary on every play, which he should have been if he ran as fast as he did in the olympics. Safeties would have to play 40 yards downfield and the cowboys would win every game 50-0. But he wasn't THAT fast. He was just really fast.

Desean Jackson ran a 4.35 at the combine, but time and time again he burns 4.3 corners. He says he's been clocked at 4.27 IN GEAR. It's a known phenomenon.
Apparently you are unaware that Bob Hayes was the reason zone defenses were created. Nobody could stick with him one on one, so they had to find ways to give help.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Yes, jarwins one game running actual seam routes scared them. What if I told you he was still on the roster?!

I would say that the cowboys are back to normal. Written is back to hinder the development off all the tight ends we draft.

Besides missed throws by dak to jarwin (where he was wide open for a few more tds), passes to jarwin and Schultz seemed to be successful. I am not saying they will be great players, but it didn't look too bad for their first chance to catch balls.