NFL's Fastest Players

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I rewatched this garbage and I couldn't believe who they had at #1. Bullet Bob Hayes was once clocked at 5.28 in the 60-yard dash. The NFL din't have any record of 40 times for Bob Hayes. If you convert the time to the 40, Bullet Bob would have ran a sub 4.0!

The man was thee fastest man in the world, yet he came in on this list as #2.

At 5-8, Green was probably the quickest player, but straight speed I don't see any NFL player competing with Hayes.

The 5.28 for the 60 just isn't credible, but Hayes *still* has the 2nd fastest 60 of all time at 5.90.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/60-yard_dash

If you convert his 60 yard time to 60 meters linearly, it's 6.45 which would tie for 9th fastest in the world all time.

That should be considered the ceiling of his time, as the last 5 yards would be at the maximum speed for the race instead of the average. And the *earliest* date for 6.45 or better was 1993, three decades after Hayes ran.

There's one guy who had a freaky time just this year of 6.34. But that was a mile high. The 2nd fastest time is 6.39.

The 50 to 60 split is around the fastest part of the run for sprinters, with times for the best guys in the low 0.8s. Even with a conservative estimate of Hayes' split time at 0.85, Hayes would have the world record for the 60 meters today, even beating the mile high current record.

60 yards are 54.864 meters
Add the time for 60 yards plus the time for the last 5.136 meters
5.9+ 5.136/10 * 0.85 = 6.33656

In actual 100 meter races Bolt is supposed to have faster 60 splits, but that's who Hayes is competing with. Not NFL players. The absolute fastest men ever, and it took them decades to catch up with Hayes.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
That's a lie. Jason Witten never runs 40 yards. Actually I like Jason and I'm glad to see him back, but they can't keep throwing him an 8 yard pass when it's 3rd and 10.

They can on a Y option.

Linehan was just brutal on Witten with all the stick routes he called. If Witten is standing facing Dak, he's going to get 0 yac. If he's running downfield with a trailing defender, he probably manages to run/fall forward for 2.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
That's a lie. Jason Witten never runs 40 yards. Actually I like Jason and I'm glad to see him back, but they can't keep throwing him an 8 yard pass when it's 3rd and 10.

Loool, that would have been the better joke....”Witten doesn’t have an official 40 time because he keeps stopping and turning around at 6-yards.”

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Jarwin and Schultz scared them. It had been too long since they had seen te's catch the ball downfield. They were scared and needed their safety blanket back.

ryanbabs

Reaction score
Is that true? What would Deion have run if it was converted to a 60 yard dash? Don't forget you don't reach top speed till you get to around half way in the 40 yard dash so that has to be taken into consideration.
This is true. Even the time going 0-20 yds would not be equivalent to going 40-60 yds as you’re already at greater velocity and you’ve already over come higher startup resistance (or friction).

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I rewatched this garbage and I couldn't believe who they had at #1. Bullet Bob Hayes was once clocked at 5.28 in the 60-yard dash. The NFL din't have any record of 40 times for Bob Hayes. If you convert the time to the 40, Bullet Bob would have ran a sub 4.0!

The man was thee fastest man in the world, yet he came in on this list as #2.

Deion was the fastest. Fans and media hate Deion which causes them to make some silly video like this.

The Raiders had multiple WRs that had been olympic sprinters and they tried going deep on Deion. It was not even close on any of their attempts. Deion was so far past them that it looked like he was back to return a punt.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is true. Even the time going 0-20 yds would not be equivalent to going 40-60 yds as you’re already at greater velocity and you’ve already over come higher startup resistance (or friction).

At 5-8, Green was probably the quickest player, but straight speed I don't see any NFL player competing with Hayes.

The 5.28 for the 60 just isn't credible, but Hayes *still* has the 2nd fastest 60 of all time at 5.90.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/60-yard_dash

If you convert his 60 yard time to 60 meters linearly, it's 6.45 which would tie for 9th fastest in the world all time.

That should be considered the ceiling of his time, as the last 5 yards would be at the maximum speed for the race instead of the average. And the *earliest* date for 6.45 or better was 1993, three decades after Hayes ran.

There's one guy who had a freaky time just this year of 6.34. But that was a mile high. The 2nd fastest time is 6.39.

The 50 to 60 split is around the fastest part of the run for sprinters, with times for the best guys in the low 0.8s. Even with a conservative estimate of Hayes' split time at 0.85, Hayes would have the world record for the 60 meters today, even beating the mile high current record.

60 yards are 54.864 meters
Add the time for 60 yards plus the time for the last 5.136 meters
5.9+ 5.136/10 * 0.85 = 6.33656

In actual 100 meter races Bolt is supposed to have faster 60 splits, but that's who Hayes is competing with. Not NFL players. The absolute fastest men ever, and it took them decades to catch up with Hayes.

Chris Johnson
First 20 yards 2.41
Second 20 yards 1.83

If he ran a 3rd 20 yards at 1.83 that would be 6.07 in the 60.

In reality he should run even faster in the third 20 yards than the second 20 yards.

Creeper

Reaction score
Are any of you guys who are questioning Bob Hayes's speed old enough to have seen him run in the Olympics or on a football field? We can argue all day because Hayes was never clocked in a 40 and that's a bit unfair to him. He also ran in an era when we did not have the kind of digital stop watches and stuff we have today. Hayes beat everyone in the world. He was once the fastest man on earth. Don't make the mistake of thinking that because he ran such a long time ago that guys today are faster than he was. Guys on average are faster but this is an individual comparison. There are fast guys in the NFL, but Hayes was the fastest in a sport where only the fastest in the world competed. I would be surprised if anyone in football could line up against him in his prime and beat him in a footrace. But we will never know.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seriously, I was fortunate enough as a kid to see the great Bob Hayes play in person in both the Cotton Bowl and Texas Stadium, and he was an absolute force to be reckoned with. His speed literally changed the way NFL defenses lined up, essentially creating the modern zone defense. He has an astonishing 20 yards per reception for his career!

I know Dez Bryant passed BH in Cowboys TD receptions a couple of years ago, but IMO, Bob Hayes remains the greatest receiving weapon in Cowboys history.

GMO415

Reaction score
Chris Johnson
First 20 yards 2.41
Second 20 yards 1.83

If he ran a 3rd 20 yards at 1.83 that would be 6.07 in the 60.

In reality he should run even faster in the third 20 yards than the second 20 yards.
He still didn't have any Olympic gold medals. He's fast but not the fastest

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Bob was so fast the NFL defenses came up with zone coverages because no one was able to stay with him one on one. Bob was not just the fastest man in the NFL at that time he was the fastest man in the world.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Deion was the fastest. Fans and media hate Deion which causes them to make some silly video like this.

The Raiders had multiple WRs that had been olympic sprinters and they tried going deep on Deion. It was not even close on any of their attempts. Deion was so far past them that it looked like he was back to return a punt.

I'm not going to weigh in on who is the fastest cause ... I don't know. However, Deion against the Raiders is one of my "wow" memories. When he lets Jett (I believe it was Jett) get by him by several yards I'm thinking he's beat. Casually closes the distance while ball is in the air. Takes it off the guys helmet & goes the other way. In some of his HOF or other documentaries Deion said he intentionally let the receiver get by him to bait the throw. Honestly, I think he was as fast as he wanted to be. That is no knock on these other guys but his speed seemed to stand out more than anyone else.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not going to weigh in on who is the fastest cause ... I don't know. However, Deion against the Raiders is one of my "wow" memories. When he lets Jett (I believe it was Jett) get by him by several yards I'm thinking he's beat. Casually closes the distance while ball is in the air. Takes it off the guys helmet & goes the other way. In some of his HOF or other documentaries Deion said he intentionally let the receiver get by him to bait the throw. Honestly, I think he was as fast as he wanted to be. That is no knock on these other guys but his speed seemed to stand out more than anyone else.
Good memory.

Yes James Jett was an Olympic sprinter. Unofficially he beat Carl Lewis at one time in qualifier sprints.

As you indicated Deion was easily faster than Jett.

Deion doing his showboating high-step was moving faster than most players can.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He still didn't have any Olympic gold medals. He's fast but not the fastest

Who needs Gold Metals when Pro Baseball and Pro Football teams are paying you millions?

Deion went to the combine, walked off the Hotel Shuttle, ran his sub-4.2 forty, got back on the Shuttle and went home.

People in attendance said he didn't warm up or run the optional 2nd forty. He didn't even stay to see his time according to some.

Personally Deion is an arse but as an athlete he could do things no other player has done before or after.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
Jarwin and Schultz scared them. It had been too long since they had seen te's catch the ball downfield. They were scared and needed their safety blanket back.

Yes, jarwins one game running actual seam routes scared them. What if I told you he was still on the roster?!

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
I know that the fastest recorded speed on field in either 17 or 18 was our very own broad jump Byron.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Bullet Bob Hayes speed/run as the anchor leg for Olympic Gold in the 4x4 100 relay is track and field legend.

Unlike many track stars wanting to be football stars, he could translate his speed to the football field with NFL Hall of Fame results. Why? Because, he was a football player that happened to be the fastest man in the world.

Until someone in the NFL can hold up a gold medal in the 100M, and be a NFL Hall of Fame player, Bob Hayes is no.1 and anyone else is fake hype.

:hammer::hammer::hammer:Nailed it