Nice to know you, Skylar Green

fortdick

Reaction score
This guy is gone. Hurd and Rector looked great last night. Green showed nothing on returns.

Unless they plan on keeping 6 receivers, Green is outta here.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Umm, how many ways until Sunday does it need to be explained that he was drafted to return kick? Bill has said several times he was a serious project at WR.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
fortdick said:
This guy is gone. Hurd and Rector looked great last night. Green showed nothing on returns.

Unless they plan on keeping 6 receivers, Green is outta here.

definetly going to be hard for Green to make the cut,,, hope he can survive the PS, and not be plucked off by another team.

I would say that Copper should be included with Hurd and Rector as he has just as much ability to make the final cut.

fortdick

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Umm, how many ways until Sunday does it need to be explained that he was drafted to return kick? Bill has said several times he was a serious project at WR.

Yes, I know that, but he doesn't return kicks well from what I have seen.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Green's chance comes if the Cowboys keep 6 receivers.

Glenn
Owens
Crayton
Hurd
Rector
Green

It would be a shame to keep Green and lose a guy like Hurd or Rector.

Any one of Dallas' receivers would be starting in Philadelphia!

:laugh2:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
fortdick said:
Yes, I know that, but he doesn't return kicks well from what I have seen.

Perhaps your expectations are out of line.

Good returners rarely break big ones. Most of their returns are mediocre. Returns on punts of 20+ yards are pretty rare -- and he had one last night.

A player who can give 6 or 7 of those in a season is going to be among the best returners in the league.

What exactly are you expecting?

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Ridiculous. Punt coverage was about the only thing the Saints did well last night. And Green still had a 19 yard return on his last PR. There's a chance Green will get cut. I'd peg it at about 5%.

fortdick

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Perhaps your expectations are out of line.

Good returners rarely break big ones. Most of their returns are mediocre. Returns on punts of 20+ yards are pretty rare -- and he had one last night.

A player who can give 6 or 7 of those in a season is going to be among the best returners in the league.

What exactly are you expecting?

He also fumbled one. That negates his one good return. I just don't see it happening.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I think he had one for 18 @ Seattle and now one for 21 @ NO, I think the guy is just scratching the surface of his ability. He should be a good one at some point, I do wonder if he needs to lose a little more weight.

X-Dawg

Benched
Reaction score
Green looked soft..small and not overly fast....bad pick.

In fact I like kid from Monmouth College much better...

silver

Reaction score
I think he makes it. he's got the potential to take it all the way everytime he touches the ball. wait one more week and BP or one of the coaches will utter those same exact words.

CactusCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
abersonc said:

But...he is no good at that and does not show signs of any speed???

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
WR is a really tough spot to call right now.. there are only 4 locks.. then you dont know if they are gonna keep 5 or 6..

locks:
Owens
Glenn
Crayton
Hurd

possibilities:
Green
Rector
Austin
Copper

the one thing is, I have no idea why in the world we are looking to trade for a WR.. Im glad the Denver trade fell through.. if anything, it looks like we are gonna have to get rid of a couple of guys that look promising..

if I were forced to say right now, Id guess that we keep 6.. Owens, Glenn, Crayton, Hurd, Green, and Rector.. that's two undrafted guys and a 7th rounder!!

Cowboys22

Reaction score
First off, if he is cut, who returns punts? I don't see anybody on the team that is better than him. Newman isn't going to do it full time.

And second, I agree that I haven't been that impressed with him, but then it hit me that I have this weird calm feeling when the ball is in the air that he will at least catch it and not fumble it. Thats saying alot for a rookie and we have had some guys back there in recent years that I didn't feel that way about. He has had a couple decent returns and I think if we could block for him a little better, he could be a really good returner. I was in the camp that he would not make it, but know I'm not so sure.

joseephuss

Reaction score
If Green is cut, it will be because of what he does or doesn't do the next two pre-season games. There isn't enough information to cut him after these first two games. I know there were several posters that wanted to cut Marion Barber after the Seattle pre-season game last year. He went on to prove he was better than his performance in that game.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Said it last night in chat and I'll just say it here.

He looks quick. He's got the moves. However, he seems indecisive. Like he gets caught dancing cuz he doesn't know which way to go.

I'm not sure what folks were expecting when it came to Green. And regardless of the fact returning is supposedly all he's going to do this year. I imagine it takes more than a few weeks practice to know where his blockers are going to be consistently. How much time is actually spent practicing special teams? And then with different players playing each ST possession, who knows if someone missed a block that could've shook him loose.

Does he have room for improvement? Yep, sure does. But I don't think he's so poor at it that we should cut him loose at this point.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
CactusCowboy said:
But...he is no good at that and does not show signs of any speed???

Lookit -- you are being unreasonable if you are expecting a returner to come in and bust out 20+ yard returns in every game.

Dante Hall average 3 20+ yard punt returns a year. That's about 1 every 6 games. Green had one last night.

The last good returner we had was Deion -- no one is every going to approach that level so stop using at your comparison. Among PRs this preseason, Green ranks 9th overall. He doesn't have enough KRs (2) to qualify for rankings -- but his 21 yard average on those 2 would put him 3rd overall.

See what a little perspective does????

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
X-Dawg said:

Miles Austin did look like a seasoned pro on that TD catch and run. Of course it helped that he was all but uncovered and going against scrubs. Still, it looked good. As far as Skyler, he actually looked like a gifted return man when the blocking was there and he even made some things happen on his own. I think if we stick with him, he'll improve.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
X-Dawg said:

Green stays. And Austin's catch last night earns him...a trip to the PS.

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Does he have room for improvement? Yep, sure does. But I don't think he's so poor at it that we should cut him loose at this point.

At least so far, he's caught every punt cleanly. That's got to count for something.