Nice to know you, Skylar Green

DBoys

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Lookit -- you are being unreasonable if you are expecting a returner to come in and bust out 20+ yard returns in every game.

Dante Hall average 3 20+ yard punt returns a year. That's about 1 every 6 games. Green had one last night.

The last good returner we had was Deion -- no one is every going to approach that level so stop using at your comparison. Among PRs this preseason, Green ranks 9th overall. He doesn't have enough KRs (2) to qualify for rankings -- but his 21 yard average on those 2 would put him 3rd overall.

See what a little perspective does????

Ahhhh the voice of reason how refreshing :)

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
EMMITTnROY said:
WR is a really tough spot to call right now.. there are only 4 locks.. then you dont know if they are gonna keep 5 or 6..

locks:
Owens
Glenn
Crayton
Hurd

possibilities:
Green
Rector
Austin
Copper

the one thing is, I have no idea why in the world we are looking to trade for a WR.. Im glad the Denver trade fell through.. if anything, it looks like we are gonna have to get rid of a couple of guys that look promising..

if I were forced to say right now, Id guess that we keep 6.. Owens, Glenn, Crayton, Hurd, Green, and Rector.. that's two undrafted guys and a 7th rounder!!

I believe Green was a 4th rounder.

I think we take a bunch of WR's, TE's, LB's, and DE's. We'll have A LOT at those positions.

We'll probably take 6 WR's.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
DragonCowboy said:
I believe Green was a 4th rounder.

I think we take a bunch of WR's, TE's, LB's, and DE's. We'll have A LOT at those positions.

We'll probably take 6 WR's.
yep, Green was a 4th, but Crayton was a 7th, and Hurd and Rector were undrafted..

The Realist

Reaction score
10.3 per return and we're 9th in the league right now.

Green has the most PR's in the league.

Throw out the guys with fewer returns and a higher average that end up getting cut and he rockets to top 5.

When's the last time we had a PR guy who averaged double digits?

When's the last time we had a guy get a 19 and 20 yard return in back to back games?

goshan

Reaction score
He will be cut.
He is too slow and not elusive enough to be a better than average punt returner.
He couldn't even beat the LB around the corner on the one return in the 1st half.

vlad

Reaction score
is he fast? he didn't look like it, but sometimes its hard to tell on tv.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Green looked average at best.

If you're going to use a 4th round pick on a returner, you'd hope he'd be better than just average.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
He'll make it; he was drafted to return kicks, that's what he is doing. Two out of Rector, Hurd, Copper, and Austin will get cut. I'll tell you right now that it ain't going to be Hurd so that leaves three. I think it's a toss up between Rector and Copper with one going to PS. Austin will get PS at best.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
goshan said:
He will be cut.
He is too slow and not elusive enough to be a better than average punt returner.
He couldn't even beat the LB around the corner on the one return in the 1st half.

He looks better than Crayton and it's only been 2 games. BP does not want to use Newman unless he has to. So please let us know who will be returning punts once Green is cut?

ddh33

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Lookit -- you are being unreasonable if you are expecting a returner to come in and bust out 20+ yard returns in every game.

Dante Hall average 3 20+ yard punt returns a year. That's about 1 every 6 games. Green had one last night.

The last good returner we had was Deion -- no one is every going to approach that level so stop using at your comparison. Among PRs this preseason, Green ranks 9th overall. He doesn't have enough KRs (2) to qualify for rankings -- but his 21 yard average on those 2 would put him 3rd overall.

Thank you. I think Green still has some potential at receiver too. I know Bill isn't expecting to rely on him to catch the ball this season, and that's fine. But Green has been known as a tough guy to cover, and when you add in his special teams play, he's going to make this team comfortably.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
fortdick said:
He also fumbled one. That negates his one good return. I just don't see it happening.
When did he fumble one?

At least so far, he's caught every punt cleanly. That's got to count for something.

These don't jive.

koolaid

Drink Me
Reaction score
abersonc said:

:hammer:

good post, seeing that you cant really argue to drop the guy, already doing that in his second preseason game.

BigDave95

Reaction score
The thing that Green has done really well is make the 1st guy miss. Watch his returns again from last night. He was able to juke the first tackler on every one. That's the key to a successful punt returner. If he can consistently do that, he'll break some big ones.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
When did he fumble one?

These don't jive.

He fumbled on the opening kick off but recovered it. Myself I think Green will make the team

TEK2000

Reaction score
Some people are just ridiculous...

Lets cut Green and throw Newman back there and see if he gets hurt pulling that duty. If not Newman.. lets put Crayton back there and see how many times he fumbles because he carries the ball like its a loaf of bread!

Get a friggin clue people.

Have a little knowledge of what you're talking about... like The Realist exhibits:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10.3 per return and we're 9th in the league right now.

Green has the most PR's in the league.

Throw out the guys with fewer returns and a higher average that end up getting cut and he rockets to top 5.

When's the last time we had a PR guy who averaged double digits?

When's the last time we had a guy get a 19 and 20 yard return in back to back games?

NICE POST MAN!!

DBoys

Reaction score
TEK2000 said:
Some people are just ridiculous...

Lets cut Green and throw Newman back there and see if he gets hurt pulling that duty. If not Newman.. lets put Crayton back there and see how many times he fumbles because he carries the ball like its a loaf of bread!

Get a friggin clue people.

Have a little knowledge of what you're talking about... like The Realist exhibits:

NICE POST MAN!!

Nuff said!

Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
He looks better than Crayton and it's only been 2 games. BP does not want to use Newman unless he has to. So please let us know who will be returning punts once Green is cut?

Wow, can I have some of the drugs you're on?! Better than Crayton--at what?? Last year against the Iggles, I watched Crayton burn them time after time with big runs. He ended up with over 100 yds. in returns with over a 12 yd. ave. Green looked slow, & out of control. We already had several who were better when we drafted him. Big mistake. Cut him.

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
When did he fumble one?

These don't jive.

I was referring to him catching the ball out of the air. He's not muffed a single punt or kickoff, and he's fielded more than anyone else in the league so far this pre-season.

I think Fortdick was referring to the opening kickoff return, where the official threw the bean bag. The football fell out of Green's hands and bounced back into his arms right when he was tackled.

Reaction score
I was livid when we drafted Green, & I still am. He hasn't shown me any of the so-called vision or shiftiness some of you are talking about. At least Crayton knows that you first go FORWARD, then you get as much as you can. What you don't do is run all over the field, only to gain four freaking yards.

Rob Sims, OG, Ohio St. was sitting there for the taking when we came to bat in the 4th rd. I was drooling. But, of course, we take Green. Now we have an average at best return man, & Seattle is crowing over the progress that Sims is making for the Seahawks. He may even start the first game. Way to go Ireland.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Cowboys22 said:
First off, if he is cut, who returns punts? I don't see anybody on the team that is better than him. Newman isn't going to do it full time.

And second, I agree that I haven't been that impressed with him, but then it hit me that I have this weird calm feeling when the ball is in the air that he will at least catch it and not fumble it. Thats saying alot for a rookie and we have had some guys back there in recent years that I didn't feel that way about. He has had a couple decent returns and I think if we could block for him a little better, he could be a really good returner. I was in the camp that he would not make it, but know I'm not so sure.
Very well put. And his punt return average this year is something like 10.7 (according to the stats link at dc.com).

People are missing the bigger question here: since Green is likely to make the team, who's going to be the other lucky bastid?