Video: Nick Foles Possible Backup?

AKATheRake

Reaction score
It sounds like the Rams are trying to get something for Foles and if they don't he won't be on the team regardless. Both the Rams organization and Foles have apparently come to a respectfully mutual agreement to part by preseason. They won't have him around the locker room and he does not want to be there.

The only issue is that they might hold onto him all the way through preseason since they have already paid him a $6 million roster bonus and basically wait for a major injury to happen at the position to increase his value.

Most teams won't give the Rams anything for him for 2 reasons. 1. everyone knows the Rams are going to get rid of him. 2. nobody is going to want to pay him his current salary and trading for him, unless re-negotiated, would mean that team would need to pay that contract.

He probably wants to start, but after last year he can't demand anything more than backup status. The bottom line is this guy would be a very nice backup for us and we most likely don't have to give anything to get him.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-netwo...h-Foles-absence-discusses-his-place-on-roster

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
A 7th rounder would probably be all it takes, though if we wait, we could probably claim him off waivers.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Cassel and Weeden has won games in this league before. ....whats your point

Lol! I guess it's not a point that Foles and McCown both won games in this league, recently, so I'll look for QB's that haven't won any games. Those are potentially viable QB backups for us I guess.

Is that what you prefer? Kidding aside.

Been awhile since Cassel was a winner and Weeden was never a winner.

Foles was a pro bowler in 2013 and has a 53 TD - 27 INT ratio throughout his career. Career QB rating of 87.3. Just didn't play like the guy last year who went to the pro bowl in 2013.

McCown had a 93.3 QB rating last year and looked highly capable on a very weak team.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
A 7th rounder would probably be all it takes, though if we wait, we could probably claim him off waivers.

Now that I look at his contract details:

Nick Foles signed a 2 year, $24,540,000 contract with the St. Louis Rams, including a $3,000,000 signing bonus, $13,792,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $12,270,000. In 2016, Foles will earn a base salary of $1,750,000 and a roster bonus of $6,000,000.

That means the Rams already paid that roster bonus of $6,000,000 and all that is remaining of his 2 year deal is his base of $1,750,000.

He's a bargain at this point and worth trading for if it was a 6-7th rounder since this is his final year on the deal.

Sydla

Reaction score
Lol! I guess it's not a point that Foles and McCown both won games in this league, recently, so I'll look for QB's that haven't won any games. Those are potentially viable QB backups for us I guess.

Is that what you prefer? Kidding aside.

Been awhile since Cassel was a winner and Weeden was never a winner.

Foles was a pro bowler in 2013 and has a 53 TD - 27 INT ratio throughout his career. Career QB rating of 87.3. Just didn't play like the guy last year who went to the pro bowl in 2013.

McCown had a 93.3 QB rating last year and looked highly capable on a very weak team.

Foles blows.

2013 was the perfect storm of Kelly's offense taking the league by storm. Once teams figured out how to defend it, Foles went back to sucking. And then last year in St. Louis he lost his freaking job.

He sucks. Like really sucks. Not a great arm, little to no mobility. Take out 2013, which was an anomaly, and he's blah.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Now that I look at his contract details:

Nick Foles signed a 2 year, $24,540,000 contract with the St. Louis Rams, including a $3,000,000 signing bonus, $13,792,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $12,270,000. In 2016, Foles will earn a base salary of $1,750,000 and a roster bonus of $6,000,000.

That means the Rams already paid that roster bonus of $6,000,000 and all that is remaining of his 2 year deal is his base of $1,750,000.

He's a bargain at this point and worth trading for if it was a 6-7th rounder since this is his final year on the deal.

It might be worth it. I've seen him play well before. Behind this O-line and quality running game, I suspect the team could win with Foles.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Foles blows.

2013 was the perfect storm of Kelly's offense taking the league by storm. Once teams figured out how to defend it, Foles went back to sucking. And then last year in St. Louis he lost his freaking job.

He sucks. Like really sucks. Not a great arm, little to no mobility. Take out 2013, which was an anomaly, and he's blah.

I know he wasn't good there in St. Louis but other than Warner who has been? 53 TD's to 27 INT's in his career with 60% accuracy in his career shows there's something there. We're talking a backup with experience and the weapons we have on offense. They had none there until Gurley got there and their o-line stinks.

It might be worth it. I've seen him play well before. Behind this O-line and quality running game, I suspect the team could win with Foles.

I feel the same way, especially if we can get him a good portion of the offseason to learn our system. He's only 27 so if we could get him here for a couple of years and know what's going on I think he'd be a viable option.

Sydla

Reaction score
He stinks. Stop throwing around the 53 to 27 ratio. It's all based on one season - 2013 - which was a total anomaly.

I don't even like Moore and I'd rather have him as the backup than Foles. That's how much Foles stinks. I bet every single one of our OL is more mobile than Foles. He's that cement shoe'd.

kevm3

Reaction score
I'd rather roll with what we have. If it causes us to tank another season, we'll have another high pick with a chance to really draft a QB if we don't like what we're seeing from our current guys. Foles would just be a progress blocker.

erod

Reaction score
No issue with Foles at all. Bring him here.

They need offensive linemen in the worst way, so how about Foles for Leary and a 4th?

Sydla

Reaction score

They need offensive linemen in the worst way, so how about Foles for Leary and a 4th?

I hope I am reading this post wrong.

Leary and a 4th for Nick Foles?

giphy.gif

AKATheRake

Reaction score

I don't think we have to give them that much. Neither Leary or the 4th.

"No issue" with taking on that $6.75 million in cap charges then? That's a deal breaker for me.

I was originally worried about trading for him because of the cap hit too. But he's in his final year of the contract and the Rams already paid his $6 million roster bonus. My understanding is his base is $1,750,000 and that's what we would be on the hook for if that's the case.

If that's the case that's a steal for us and very cap friendly.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think we have to give them that much. Neither Leary or the 4th.

I was originally worried about trading for him because of the cap hit too. But he's in his final year of the contract and the Rams already paid his $6 million roster bonus. My understanding is his base is $1,750,000 and that's what we would be on the hook for if that's the case.

If that's the case that's a steal for us and very cap friendly.

Take a look at the article I posted. That says very differently.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
He stinks. Stop throwing around the 53 to 27 ratio. It's all based on one season - 2013 - which was a total anomaly.

I don't even like Moore and I'd rather have him as the backup than Foles. That's how much Foles stinks. I bet every single one of our OL is more mobile than Foles. He's that cement shoe'd.

LMAO! It's not based on 1 season and yes he didn't play well last season. Other than Gurley that whole offense stinks. Same as the Browns.

He is a bigger boy at 6'6" 243 lbs even though he doesn't look like it.

You are right where he doesn't have great mobility but he has a very good release and we are a timing offense. His arm is adequate enough and he has shown very good decision making in the past. If he gets an offseason to learn our system he should be an adequate backup that can get us 2-2 in a 4 game stretch.

Kellen Moore is not better than Nick Foles. Sorry, but that's the truth.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Take a look at the article I posted. That says very differently.

That was my initial worry but I also saw the breakdown of his deal posted differently. If you look at my prior pots please check out that breakdown.

If we have to trade at that salary I do not want to. But teams know he will get cut so they won't have to trade for him.

If we're only on the hook for his base because they already paid his roster bonus than he's worth giving a late pick for to ensure his services.