Video: Nick Foles Possible Backup?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Barring a serious injury to Moore, Showers or both, I doubt Foles and/or McCown are likely to be serious considerations for the Dallas FO. Our financial structure and backup QB plans really appear to be a done deal at this time. As much as I wouldn't mind seeing either being introduced to the Cowboys' roster, it just doesn't seem a likely consideration right now.

Last edited:

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
I'll pass. I like Foles, but not the salary or the fact that Romo is our starter and the backups need to get on the practice field and compete without Foles .

Sydla

Reaction score
Those numbers without that 1 probowl year are average and they are accumulated playing with an under average o-line and skill position players. Until Gurley got there it was lil Tavon Austin to go to on offense.

Furthermore, if he had better numbers we would be talking starter, not backup. You do have to understand that. On a team with options and protection on offense and a couple years in the same system, he should be a viable backup. As long as the $ is right.

Your backup your thinking 1-4 games starting in relief. Realistically hoping to be 2-2 until the starter gets back. Believe, I wish we could have a starter behind a starter. This is as close to it as you can get.

That's why solid starters get paid $18 million + and backups get $3 million +.

I only have to understand one thing................ Foles is not a very good QB. He's no better than Moore.

That's the point.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
No. Foles for one isn't a good quarterback, and for two he's doing the Mark Sanchez quitter routine.

The culture of the team is very important. We don't need anybody else coming in with the potential to upset the balance like Greg Hardy did last year.

Cowboy06

Reaction score
Barring a serious injury to Moore, Showers or both, I doubt Foles and/or McCown are likely to be serious considerations for the Dallas FO. Our financial structure and backup QB plans really appear to be a done deal at this time. As much as I wouldn't mind seeing either being introduced to the Cowboys' roster, it just doesn't seem a likely consideration right now.

I like your analysis better than mine. Can I take credit for your thought process? :thumbup:

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
If Foles got waived, I would sign him, and have him battle it out with Moore, the loser of that battle will get cut, I would have Prescott battle it out with Showers, and the loser of that battle gets cut also.

Can we throw a sword in the middle too, and have them battle in a pit! Id watch that.

I think Foles would beat out moore easily and Prescott would barely beat out showers.

Cowboy06

Reaction score
LOL -- since we agree on the same thoughts, I see no cause to object. We both know what the heck's going on, right?

You know it...I just want the Cowboys to win 19 games in a row to start the season....The rest is gravy.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
You know it...I just want the Cowboys to win 19 games in a row to start the season....The rest is gravy.

Whoa, Cowboy -- sounds like a good way to set yourself up for a hard fall. I'd gladly take 10-6, a division crown and run with it. It's a process.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I read that the cowboys are most interested in Mike Glennon in TB. They have a standing trade offer for
him which tampa has not bit on yet. I think they are offering a 2017 pick for him.
His salary is 1.5 mil.

Only thing I read was Garrett and company love Moore.

AbeBeta

Reaction score

More importantly, unless it happens now, we aren't getting someone. Otas, camo, and preseason is where your backup learns the offense. We can get a guy up to speed during the year. Just not enough reps to go around unless Room is hurt

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
More importantly, unless it happens now, we aren't getting someone. Otas, camo, and preseason is where your backup learns the offense. We can get a guy up to speed during the year. Just not enough reps to go around unless Room is hurt

Stephen has already committed to Moore being the #2 guy for now with Showers expected to provide competition. With Moore being held in such a lofty status in Linehan's eyes, there might be room for doubt that Showers will get equal consideration, imho. It should be interesting, nevertheless.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Only thing I read was Garrett and company love Moore.

I like him too ! lol
I will wait and judge him and others in pre season games.

Thing is , if romo plays all 16 it doesnt matter who our bkup is does it ??
and if he misses more than 3-4 games, it probably doesnt matter then either.

AKATheRake

Reaction score

Pretty much every year we pick someone up after final cuts. There has been a rumour that we are trying to trade the next 2 years 3rd rounders for Mike Glennon. I think it's smoke but it goes to show that there's a lot of thought that we're looking for another backup QB. One with experience.