Video: Nick Foles Possible Backup?

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
I would stretch a little here, for McCown, maybe not Foles....although I don't know.....

I think either one would be better then what we have.....If were playing this year to make a run, and I think we are.... then we got to have some insurance for those few games Romo will miss.......we have to at least give ourselves a chance at keeping pace, if Romo goes down for 4-5 games.....

We need a Backup QB.

Now if Romo had retired, then no.... in that case, let Dak start. But this isn't a rebuilding year;

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
No issue with Foles at all. Bring him here.

They need offensive linemen in the worst way, so how about Foles for Leary and a 4th?

And if one of our OG's get injured, well need OL in the worst way too. Again, Moore is the backup. Garrett and company love him. He's going nowhere.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
It sounds like the Rams are trying to get something for Foles and if they don't he won't be on the team regardless. Both the Rams organization and Foles have apparently come to a respectfully mutual agreement to part by preseason. They won't have him around the locker room and he does not want to be there.

The only issue is that they might hold onto him all the way through preseason since they have already paid him a $6 million roster bonus and basically wait for a major injury to happen at the position to increase his value.

Most teams won't give the Rams anything for him for 2 reasons. 1. everyone knows the Rams are going to get rid of him. 2. nobody is going to want to pay him his current salary and trading for him, unless re-negotiated, would mean that team would need to pay that contract.

He probably wants to start, but after last year he can't demand anything more than backup status. The bottom line is this guy would be a very nice backup for us and we most likely don't have to give anything to get him.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-netwo...h-Foles-absence-discusses-his-place-on-roster

Certainly worth a look, lad. Moore does not inspire the confidence commensurate with the talents of Romo. Foles is tough, from what I have seen and is a competitor (to use the cliche). Foles is no Paul Crewe but I like what I have seen.
Yes, certainly worth a look, mate!

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Lol! I guess it's not a point that Foles and McCown both won games in this league, recently, so I'll look for QB's that haven't won any games. Those are potentially viable QB backups for us I guess.

Is that what you prefer? Kidding aside.

Been awhile since Cassel was a winner and Weeden was never a winner.

Foles was a pro bowler in 2013 and has a 53 TD - 27 INT ratio throughout his career. Career QB rating of 87.3. Just didn't play like the guy last year who went to the pro bowl in 2013.

McCown had a 93.3 QB rating last year and looked highly capable on a very weak team.

Doesn't matter last year our coaching staff had terrible game plans and set our QBs up for failure.

Sydla

Reaction score
LMAO! It's not based on 1 season and yes he didn't play well last season. Other than Gurley that whole offense stinks. Same as the Browns.

He is a bigger boy at 6'6" 243 lbs even though he doesn't look like it.

You are right where he doesn't have great mobility but he has a very good release and we are a timing offense. His arm is adequate enough and he has shown very good decision making in the past. If he gets an offseason to learn our system he should be an adequate backup that can get us 2-2 in a 4 game stretch.

Kellen Moore is not better than Nick Foles. Sorry, but that's the truth.

It is based on just one season.

Take out his 2013 season and here's what you get:

59% completion percentage
76 average QB rating
26-25 TD/INT ratio

He's the very definition of average to below average. The 2013 season is such a massive outlier in his career it should tell you something, especially when you factor in that the 2013 season was when teams didn't have a clue what to do with Kelly's offense. Once teams figured out how to defend it, Foles numbers went into the toilet in 2014. And then when in a more traditional offense in 2015, he looked even worse. You can complain about the lack of talent on the Rams offense but Keenum looked much better than he did last year.

Moore is average but he's a better fit than Foles here at this point. Foles is an immobile bum who rode one season to false glory.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Doesn't matter last year our coaching staff had terrible game plans and set our QBs up for failure.

Where do you think they went wrong? Was it in relying so much on the dump off passes and not trusting Weeden to pass downfield? Maybe the failure to use the playaction and the screen enough? It was about the most vanilla offense I've ever seen. I know you can't do as much with a backup, but I do remember Beuerlein and Kosar doing more when they were backups.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
If Foles got waived, I would sign him, and have him battle it out with Moore, the loser of that battle will get cut, I would have Prescott battle it out with Showers, and the loser of that battle gets cut also.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Where do you think they went wrong? Was it in relying so much on the dump off passes and not trusting Weeden to pass downfield? Maybe the failure to use the playaction and the screen enough? It was about the most vanilla offense I've ever seen. I know you can't do as much with a backup, but I do remember Beuerlein and Kosar doing more when they were backups.

I think the Atlanta game changed everything. We were killing Atlanta until they figured out we weren't throwing past 10-15 yards. They cheated up and our coaches didn't take advantage.

When Cassel came in he let it fly but had some Interceptions then they did the same thing with him.

Moore seem to throw down field a little more but not much.

I'm glad Weeden is gone but I feel Moore can be a solid backup for a few games. His Interceptions were from "rookie" mistakes which all QBs go through. I liked that Moore read the blitz, changed the play and hit Dez on a WR screen for a TD. Cassel and Weeden didn't show they could read pre snap.

I'm excited to see what Moore can do taking all backup reps. He is very smart and pretty accurate, I feel his deep balls need more velocity and power behind those throws. Seems like some passes floated some. He doesn't being much in the athletic department but with a strong running game and clean pocket he can score. ......which is something Weeden and Cassel couldn't do was score

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
If Foles got waived, I would sign him, and have him battle it out with Moore, the loser of that battle will get cut, I would have Prescott battle it out with Showers, and the loser of that battle gets cut also.

lol. They aren't cutting Prescott. Showers most likely will have to show great improvement in training camp just to stay on the practice squad.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
lol. They aren't cutting Prescott. Showers most likely will have to show great improvement in training camp just to stay on the practice squad.

probably not, and the team probably doesn't sign Foles either. that scenario was what i would do.

_sturt_

Reaction score
It is my understanding based on what I've read in a couple of places concerning how trades affect salary cap numbers, that we would be on the hook for $1.75m this season (his guaranteed salary).

But.

What I've come to realize makes him unappealing is that he's guaranteed $10.75m for 2017, and the cap hit would be something north of that. He would have to accept a pay cut and/or there would have to be some contract extension worked out to mitigate that...

Doesn't completely eliminate him from consideration, but I can see why it's also not the slam dunk I'd earlier thought it ought to be.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
It is based on just one season.

Take out his 2013 season and here's what you get:

59% completion percentage
76 average QB rating
26-25 TD/INT ratio

He's the very definition of average to below average. The 2013 season is such a massive outlier in his career it should tell you something, especially when you factor in that the 2013 season was when teams didn't have a clue what to do with Kelly's offense. Once teams figured out how to defend it, Foles numbers went into the toilet in 2014. And then when in a more traditional offense in 2015, he looked even worse. You can complain about the lack of talent on the Rams offense but Keenum looked much better than he did last year.

Moore is average but he's a better fit than Foles here at this point. Foles is an immobile bum who rode one season to false glory.

Those numbers without that 1 probowl year are average and they are accumulated playing with an under average o-line and skill position players. Until Gurley got there it was lil Tavon Austin to go to on offense.

Furthermore, if he had better numbers we would be talking starter, not backup. You do have to understand that. On a team with options and protection on offense and a couple years in the same system, he should be a viable backup. As long as the $ is right.

Your backup your thinking 1-4 games starting in relief. Realistically hoping to be 2-2 until the starter gets back. Believe, I wish we could have a starter behind a starter. This is as close to it as you can get.

That's why solid starters get paid $18 million + and backups get $3 million +.

AKATheRake

Reaction score

I don't disagree with that sentiment. Wasn't exactly pretty when they let Cassel do his thing either. But it does matter. If we can get a guy with some talent, experience and a good offseason to work with. Then they have no excuse but to open the playbook up and let the backup QB run the offense.

We need someone who can come in for 1-4 games, get at least .500, if #9 is to go down. Moore is not going to do that and Dak is not ready. Other than our pass rush for the 1st 4 games I truly believe this is a team with an excellent shot at going somewhere this year. Maybe not win the whole enchilada but compete and get that valuable playoff experience and get the final missing pieces in place next year.

Our running game is going to be absolutely debilitating and as long as we can get Dez 100% we'll get those big plays when we need them. Witten can't keep going like this forever and hopefully next year Gathers looks like an Antonio Gates beside Witten. Romo doesn't have 4-5 years left. I would say 3. So every year is important to get that extra game of playoff experience so we can learn how to get over the hump.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I don't disagree with that sentiment. Wasn't exactly pretty when they let Cassel do his thing either. But it does matter. If we can get a guy with some talent, experience and a good offseason to work with. Then they have no excuse but to open the playbook up and let the backup QB run the offense.

We need someone who can come in for 1-4 games, get at least .500, if #9 is to go down. Moore is not going to do that and Dak is not ready. Other than our pass rush for the 1st 4 games I truly believe this is a team with an excellent shot at going somewhere this year. Maybe not win the whole enchilada but compete and get that valuable playoff experience and get the final missing pieces in place next year.

Our running game is going to be absolutely debilitating and as long as we can get Dez 100% we'll get those big plays when we need them. Witten can't keep going like this forever and hopefully next year Gathers looks like an Antonio Gates beside Witten. Romo doesn't have 4-5 years left. I would say 3. So every year is important to get that extra game of playoff experience so we can learn how to get over the hump.

You don't know if Moore can or can't do that. He was the only QB after Romo went down that could move the ball and score TDs.....and this was without a full offseason as the primary backup. He did some really good things and made mistakes like most QBs with their first real action in a game that counts.

I think Moore, Dak and Showers are our best options right now and I think we are in a better spot then most think.

Let's give them a chance, we will never know if we don't. We can still draft a QB until we get it right. Not saying Moore is the future but as backup this year I'm good

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I read that the cowboys are most interested in Mike Glennon in TB. They have a standing trade offer for
him which tampa has not bit on yet. I think they are offering a 2017 pick for him.
His salary is 1.5 mil.