No 1st round pick

Paintrain4978

Reaction score
How do y’all feel about this? I for one am torn. While I like Cooper’s potential, giving a 1st for him reeks of panic. This move will especially hurt us if it ends up being a top 10 pick and Cooper doesn’t live up to that potential. At this point I’ll wait to see how it works out but I’m not feeling great about it.

Verdammung

Reaction score
It's going to suck so bad on day one, watching all those prospects fly off the board... I wouldn't have considered making this trade, but honestly I don't feel super bad about it few reasons.

From what I read, this class lacks a top-10 pick caliber WR. Accepting that either WR or TE would be the first round pick, it makes a certain amount of sense to take a chance on getting Cooper back to form instead of using a pick on a high bust-rate position. Aside from that, I watch tape myself. There's a lot more games to be played and tape to watch, but I haven't fallen in love with anyone yet, let alone a WR, so I can't really miss our 1st rounder at this point.

As I said though, I'm firmly against the trade. Cooper carries his own bust rate, I don't trust the coaching staff enough to make him worth a 1st round pick, and we are a Dak Prescott injury away from finishing 3-13 and having the Raiders pick twice in the top-5. Risking a 1st round pick for a building block player like Khalil Mack is one thing; Amari Cooper needs to prove himself.

Western

Reaction score
Quality starters may not be on the roster in a year or two -- unexpected career-ending injuries can occur, early retirements, free agent departures or even free agent signings, contract disputes, & overall crappy player performances can cause upheaval to a roster quickly.
Losing a high draft pick -- which could conceivable could be a top 10 or top 5 pick, and a foundational player, will be crushing for the franchise.

Some say, "well they were going to draft a WR in the 1st round, anyway."
How in the hell in the 3rd week in October (6 months before the draft), can a team already assume a specific player/position of value in draft preparation to justify a early season trade.

Complete lunacy & absurdity.

Last edited:

jnday

Reaction score
How do y’all feel about this? I for one am torn. While I like Cooper’s potential, giving a 1st for him reeks of panic. This move will especially hurt us if it ends up being a top 10 pick and Cooper doesn’t live up to that potential. At this point I’ll wait to see how it works out but I’m not feeling great about it.
I am not torn at all. This was a very bad move to trade a high first round pick for a WR that is not even elite.

Paintrain4978

Reaction score
I am not torn at all. This was a very bad move to trade a high first round pick for a WR that is not even elite.

Like I said, I see this as a panic move and all we can hope for is Cooper to reach his pontenial as a top 10 WR. He had 2 really good seasons and 1 1/2 bad seasons. Hopefully he can get it back. If not this trade will be just another bad trade for a WR by this front office and will hamstrung the team in this draft.

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
It's only a high 1st round pick now, but even if the team improves to 8-8 it would be a draft pick around 16-19, which is not as bad, Cooper has age on his side only 24, which incidently is the same age as Calvin Ridley who was draft by the Falcons. he was the best route runner when he came out in 2015, and has speed, and is a former x2 Pro Bowler..

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
To me it's really simple - you don't trade a first round pick for anything but a top player. Even if Cooper returns to his best year's form - 1,153 yards and 5 tds - that's not anywhere near a first round pick value.

Another stupid move by the Cowboys...

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
It's only a high 1st round pick now, but even if the team improves to 8-8 it would be a draft pick around 16-19, which is not as bad, Cooper has age on his side only 24, which incidently is the same age as Calvin Ridley who was draft by the Falcons. he was the best route runner when he came out in 2015, and has speed, and is a former x2 Pro Bowler..
We could get to 8-8 without Cooper. If this move doesn't dramatically improve this offense then it was a waste.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Seems that Jerry and Stephen and Jason are letting the fans run the team. So many have said our receivers now are "trash", and "we don't have a true number one receiver" and "Dak's problems are mainly because we don't have a big play, deep downfield receiver".

Guess they're finally listening to the fans.

The other scenario is that the same 3 finally figured out what the fans have "figured out", and have seen the light.

But that's makes no sense, Cowboys haven't had a true no. 1 receiver for years, Jerry said so just last week, people expect that good football decisions are all of a sudden are made?

Good luck with that....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
And let's say Cooper is better than what he's done so far, how much faith do you have the Linehan can use him to his full potential???

Hardline

Reaction score
This is only bearable to me if the Cowboys make some huge free agentcy signings.
Also I'm sure that second round pick will be in the top 10 of that round. I'm not sure how deep this next draft is going to be.
And keep in mind that second round pick can be used to package in a trade up.

I can see one of the top TEs being on the board with the second round selection.

waving monkey

Reaction score
This is only bearable to me if the Cowboys make some huge free agentcy signings.
Also I'm sure that second round pick will be in the top 10 of that round. I'm not sure how deep this next draft is going to be.
And keep in mind that second round pick can be used to package in a trade up.

I can see one of the top TEs being on the board with the second round selection.
TE is my wish

cowboyec

Reaction score
personally I hope Jerry Tillery,DT-Notre Dame has a bad combine and slips to the 2nd Rd.

or maybe Noah Fant,TE-Iowa has a bad work-out and slips to the 2nd.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
All I know is we’re going to be seeing a lot of 2nd round mock drafts in this forum.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IMO, you don't commit a 1st round pick and 14 million of 2019 cap dollars for a WR when you aren't sure about your QB. Its assbackwards. The WR does not make the QB. The QB makes the WR. Just ask Amari about his time in Oakland. He's only as good as the the guy throwing him balls.

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
IMO, you don't commit a 1st round pick and 14 million of 2019 cap dollars for a WR when you aren't sure about your QB. Its assbackwards. The WR does not make the QB. The QB makes the WR. Just ask Amari about his time in Oakland. He's only as good as the the guy throwing him balls.

I would guess they are sure about the QB, and I would say it's a very high probability he will get an extention at the end of 2019.

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
Its q disgraceful move.
Reeks of utter panic.
Typical of a poorly run organization.
Runs the draft for fans in 2019.
F rhis franchise

It's neither; the Front Office has looked long and hard at the talent that will be draft eligiable in 2019 and concluded that there is little value in the WR class, as for FA, the big names are Cobb, John Brown, Moncrief, Tate, Kearse, Enunwa, and Cooper is better than all of them.