No 1st round pick

Hardline

Reaction score
Can Mickey Spags use the "if he is so good why is he available" quote?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It's only a high 1st round pick now, but even if the team improves to 8-8 it would be a draft pick around 16-19, which is not as bad, Cooper has age on his side only 24, which incidently is the same age as Calvin Ridley who was draft by the Falcons. he was the best route runner when he came out in 2015, and has speed, and is a former x2 Pro Bowler..

That's about the only positive I can come up with.

IF I had to pick Amari Cooper or Ridley then give me Cooper all day but I didn't think any of the WR's were worthy of a first rounder last year.

Dallas isn't a team where a WR makes much of a difference. Dak just simply can't get a X or Z WR involved.

On top of that we are a 3-4 team headed straight toward mediocrity.

If Dallas wanted to trade a #1 then they should've called Indy to see what it would take for them to trade Andrew Luck.

Andrew Luck changes things. Amari Cooper does not.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
No he's not.

Who of that group is better?

I hate the trade but Cooper is better then those guys.

I would rather have one of those guys for just money then Amari Cooper for a 1st rounder.

Talent for talent give me Cooper.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Well, Dak had success in this scheme in 2016. The problem is that defenses have adapted to him, and I don't know how you scheme your way out of not seeing the field. The right side of the field doesn't exist in his field of vision.

But, I think you are correct in that we will see a new OC before we see a new QB.

We can't keep both going forward.

What i'm afraid of is they just bring in another guy who will just be a different type of playcaller.

What we need is a guy with fresh scheme idea's.

It's a mess and I have no faith in them to fix it. It was so obvious last year what needed to be done this year and they tried to sell us on a bunch of position coaches. It's gross what they are doing and how long it takes them to finally fix the problem.

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
That's about the only positive I can come up with.

IF I had to pick Amari Cooper or Ridley then give me Cooper all day but I didn't think any of the WR's were worthy of a first rounder last year.

Dallas isn't a team where a WR makes much of a difference. Dak just simply can't get a X or Z WR involved.

On top of that we are a 3-4 team headed straight toward mediocrity.

If Dallas wanted to trade a #1 then they should've called Indy to see what it would take for them to trade Andrew Luck.

Andrew Luck changes things. Amari Cooper does not.

A WR does make a lot of difference, especially, to time like Dallas, Defence know our main WR threat is Beasely, Gallup is still learning, Hurns is at best a #2, Thompson, TWILL & our TE are not going to give DB much to worry about. DC know to stack box to prevent Zeke from running and they just need to over Bease, thats it. Cooper changes the mind set of DB and DC they now have to account for him, which takes pressure of Gallup and Bease.

As for Luck, this is reality not FF, the Colts were not trading Luck, and Dallas still rides Prescott for at least 2 seasons.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
DC know to stack box to prevent Zeke from running and they just need to over Bease, thats it

If Dallas had an innovative OC, that wouldn't be "it". A team with a great running back and a very good slot receiver, and a pretty good defense, should be more competitive than Dallas is, and that's assuming Hurns, Thompson, Gallup, Thompson, Austin and Swaim aren't very good at all, which I don't think is the case.

The more I watch this team the more I feel that the coaching is the reason this team isn't at least at the level of teams like the Vikings, Commanders, Bears et al...

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
If Dallas had an innovative OC, that wouldn't be "it". A team with a great running back and a very good slot receiver, and a pretty good defense, should be more competitive than Dallas is, and that's assuming Hurns, Thompson, Gallup, Thompson, Austin and Swaim aren't very good at all, which I don't think is the case.

The more I watch this team the more I feel that the coaching is the reason this team isn't at least at the level of teams like the Vikings, Commanders, Bears et al...

I will give you the issues at OC, until I see an innovative OC playing to Dak's strengths, we will not know his true potential, it flashed in 2016.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
I have come round to the opinion that the Cooper trade, while giving up a lot, is not a bad move. Better player than receivers coming out next year - yada yada yada. Was kinda disappointed that we didn't do more before the trade deadline, to tell the truth. We still have holes at predominantly Safety and TE, on Offense.
My hope is, no matter how the rest of the season plays out - we will/need to be active in F.A. next off season, we have the money, but also plenty of our own to re-sign. If we can pick up a good safety and/or TE, before the draft, I'm still looking at a DT with our 2nd or 3rd round picks.
Look at what Washington has become this year up front with my boi DaRon Payne (sigh) next to Johnathan Allan ! No one can run on them. Its what quality talent does to your front 7. If Marrinelli does retire, I hope the false narrative of finding DT's anywhere and not with high draft picks can finally be booted out the door !!!
Especially with such an absolutely loaded Defensive draft coming up.
Please, please, please let them finally give Maliek Collins a beast next to him …..

cjlopez

Reaction score
I don't mind trading for Cooper..I just hate giving up a 1st, but what is done is done. I do think that the pick will be in the top 15 and if we keep playing the way we are I see no reason to think otherwise. I am going to hate mock season because we won't have a 1st. I guess I will not see the first day of the draft for the first time this year.

The one thing that really bothers me is the fact the the GM and Ownership can't admit that maybe Dak is not the answer. its like they are so sure that he is the QB of the future. I think they are just stubborn. I don't want the pick to be a top 8 pick but at the same time I want them to understand that Dak is not going to get better...I think he is what we see. a QB that will struggle and be very up and down as the season goes. I think JJ thinks he is the future because they found him in the 4th round and I think they like people to say that...that they found him.

Next year.....Position of needs
QB. I wish
RB. NO
WR. NO
OL. Possibly
DL. Always
LB. NO
CB. NO
Safety. Yes

So I think a 2nd Round Safety would be great, but we will see. I believe we need to prepare life after T. Smith.

Sully

Reaction score
Jerry traded away (2) 1st round picks for Joey Galloway---- was a bust
Jerry traded away (1) 1st round pick for Roy Williams -- another bust
Jerry traded away (1) 1st round pick for Amari Cooper --- TBD

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
How do y’all feel about this? I for one am torn. While I like Cooper’s potential, giving a 1st for him reeks of panic. This move will especially hurt us if it ends up being a top 10 pick and Cooper doesn’t live up to that potential. At this point I’ll wait to see how it works out but I’m not feeling great about it.
It’s done. It’s finished. Get over it and move on.

Paintrain4978

Reaction score
It’s done. It’s finished. Get over it and move on.

Thanks for that. Like I said I will wait to see what happens. Cooper may get back to pro bowl form, he may not. What we can hope is he’s young and maybe a change of scenery and a new scheme will be good for him. As a fan I really hope this move works out but it’s really gonna hurt if he doesn’t turn it around and we’ve handed the raiders a top 10 pick.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
We have no idea what Cooper's going to do with the Cowboys so it's to be continued if it was worth it or not. If nothing changes and the offense still struggles then obviously it wasn't worth it.