No 1st round pick

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would guess they are sure about the QB, and I would say it's a very high probability he will get an extention at the end of 2019.

And they will be wrong as usual. The alternative hypothesis is that Amari is the final test for Dak to prove he's worthy of that extension. If Amari makes no difference to this plodding offense or the passing game, maybe the FO will then turn their attention to replacing the QB.

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
IMO, you don't commit a 1st round pick and 14 million of 2019 cap dollars for a WR when you aren't sure about your QB. Its assbackwards. The WR does not make the QB. The QB makes the WR. Just ask Amari about his time in Oakland. He's only as good as the the guy throwing him balls.
I agree and I was initially upset about the trade until I realized how young Cooper is... the next QB needs someone to throw to with some talent. This is a strong defensive draft and few QBs people are very high on. There may be some QB value in the 2nd this year and there are some better QB prospects coming out in 2020. A 1st was too much to give up but I understand the logic somewhat. Had it been a 2nd or even 2 2nds, I probably make the trade all day

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree and I was initially upset about the trade until I realized how young Cooper is... the next QB needs someone to throw to with some talent. This is a strong defensive draft and few QBs people are very high on. There may be some QB value in the 2nd and there are some better QB prospects coming out in 2020

I like Cooper. I just think its putting the cart before the horse and I think we overpaid. I don't understand the reasoning behind not offering a second rounder or a second and 3rd rounder and giving Oakland the opportunity to say "no". We didn't negotiate. And then there is the matter of Cooper looking bad b/c Dak is a pretty mediocre QB.......he's certainly not as good as Derek Carr.

Big_D

Reaction score
It's neither; the Front Office has looked long and hard at the talent that will be draft eligiable in 2019 and concluded that there is little value in the WR class, as for FA, the big names are Cobb, John Brown, Moncrief, Tate, Kearse, Enunwa, and Cooper is better than all of them.

No he's not.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's neither; the Front Office has looked long and hard at the talent that will be draft eligiable in 2019 and concluded that there is little value in the WR class, as for FA, the big names are Cobb, John Brown, Moncrief, Tate, Kearse, Enunwa, and Cooper is better than all of them.
Why are you comparing him to only WR like we were guaranteed to take 1.
That draft pick is valuable.
Plus you haven't taken into account the 14m he will cost...

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
Why are you comparing him to only WR like we were guaranteed to take 1.
That draft pick is valuable.
Plus you haven't taken into account the 14m he will cost...

We don't take DT in round #1
its value is fixed at a certain price
$14m is not expensive for a top end WR, and if there was an issue, we can re-work his contract.

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
And they will be wrong as usual. The alternative hypothesis is that Amari is the final test for Dak to prove he's worthy of that extension. If Amari makes no difference to this plodding offense or the passing game, maybe the FO will then turn their attention to replacing the QB.

You have 50/50 chance they will be right or wrong, as it stands we wont get a better idea until a better OC comes in, if they had concerns re Prescott they would have signed a vet QB to be the #2 QB, as they haven't he looks to be in the driving seat long term.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We don't take DT in round #1
its value is fixed at a certain price
$14 is not expensive for a top end WR, and if there was an issue, we can re-work his contract.
1. That 14m is his 5th year option only. After that they will have to sign him to a long term deal worth approx 16m.
For a guy that has led the league in drops fir 2 straight years that's an awful lot of money.
2. What if a guy like rashaan Gary or heaven forbid nick bosa or ed oliver drop to #8?
Is it worth it then?

It's a crazy deal and has roy William's stamped all over it....

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
1. That 14m is his 5th year option only. After that they will have to sign him to a long term deal worth approx 16m.
For a guy that has led the league in drops fir 2 straight years that's an awful lot of money.
2. What if a guy like rashaan Gary or heaven forbid nick bosa or ed oliver drop to #8?
Is it worth it then?

It's a crazy deal and has roy William's stamped all over it....

here let me fix #1 and your false narrative for you

Bob Sturm‏Verified account @SportsSturm
Not sure where the Amari Cooper has a huge "drops" issue, but if you are interested in facts, here you go: Since 2016, he ranks 41st in most drops amongst WRs. 15 drops in 259 targets for 8.9%. Dez was at 24th (10.5%), Crabtree 13th (12.1%)

41st ranked WR in drops, yet leads the league hmmmm

as for #2, you need to a) assume we will pick at #8 and b) Bosa somehow drops to #8, what ! you think this is FF, there are 31 other teams in the NFL even if the likes of the Raiders, Cards, Bills who could do with an elite DE, will decide to pass, you think no other team will jump up? The Saints coughed up 2 1sts to move up to the teens to grab Davenport, I am pretty sure if Bosa was there at 5 for e.g. people would be throwing picks at the team picking at 5 for Bosa.

This trade was far better than Williams ever was, Cooper is x10 the player Roy was and if any other team and traded their 1st for Cooper half this fan base would be moaning that Dallas should have got in on the deal.

Carson

Reaction score
Maybe we will have an exciting free agency for once!

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You have 50/50 chance they will be right or wrong, as it stands we wont get a better idea until a better OC comes in, if they had concerns re Prescott they would have signed a vet QB to be the #2 QB, as they haven't he looks to be in the driving seat long term.

That is far from a concrete argument. We didn't sign a veteran b/c we like Cooper Rush...... and he's cheap. We have no commitment to Dak beyond 2019. He's not getting an extension until he starts throwing the ball a lot better and we start winning more games. He can only live off the laurels of 2016 for so long.

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
That is far from a concrete argument. We didn't sign a veteran b/c we like Cooper Rush...... and he's cheap. We have no commitment to Dak beyond 2019. He's not getting an extension until he starts throwing the ball a lot better and we start winning more games. He can only live off the laurels of 2016 for so long.

You are right re 2016, however, I still believe that a better OC/HC and we will see the best of Dak, I only need to look at Goff under Fisher at the Rams, he was the former #1 pick that was being looked at as a bust after 1 season, the Rams fired Fisher brought in McVay and the rest is history, now I am not saying Dak, will suddenly turn into a gunslinger type, his not that QB, but he will become better and play to his strengths. Until I see him under a better OC for at least a season then this is stance I will maintain.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are right re 2016, however, I still believe that a better OC/HC and we will see the best of Dak, I only need to look at Goff under Fisher at the Rams, he was the former #1 pick that was being looked at as a bust after 1 season, the Rams fired Fisher brought in McVay and the rest is history, now I am not saying Dak, will suddenly turn into a gunslinger type, his not that QB, but he will become better and play to his strengths. Until I see him under a better OC for at least a season then this is stance I will maintain.

Well, Dak had success in this scheme in 2016. The problem is that defenses have adapted to him, and I don't know how you scheme your way out of not seeing the field. The right side of the field doesn't exist in his field of vision.

But, I think you are correct in that we will see a new OC before we see a new QB.

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
Well, Dak had success in this scheme in 2016. The problem is that defenses have adapted to him, and I don't know how you scheme your way out of not seeing the field. The right side of the field doesn't exist in his field of vision.

But, I think you are correct in that we will see a new OC before we see a new QB.

all being well, Cooper will give him a huge target.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
all being well, Cooper will give him a huge target.

Cooper's 6-1. Butler was 6-3. Thompson is 6-2. T. Williams is 6-2. Gathers is 6-8.

Dak has, and has had, huge targets. He has Austin who is fast.

Now if you mean huge as in top performing (a couple of years), I'm in agreement.

But if you're just talking size, he's no improvement at all, just more of the same...

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
Cooper's 6-1. Butler was 6-3. Thompson is 6-2. T. Williams is 6-2. Gathers is 6-8.

Dak has, and has had, huge targets. He has Austin who is fast.

Now if you mean huge as in top performing (a couple of years), I'm in agreement.

But if you're just talking size, he's no improvement at all, just more of the same...

Performance rather than size.