News: No 5th Year Option for LVE

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The Smith hit brigade will disagree with you. You are correct sir. Smith has out played LVE in every way the last two seasons. The problem with LVE is he is made of glass. He played the worst game I have ever seen for a linebacker against the Ravens and then he sprains his ankle against the Bengals and you never hear from him again. I hope he proves me wrong but the guy is a shell of his first year self. He might need to be released because he can’t stay healthy.

I'm thinking IF the surgery was very successful, he has maybe 3 years left that he can be productive in before the neck forces his retirement. Of course he's not here past this year unless he gets a second contract, which will only happen if he returns to, or near to, his rookie form. In which case the Cowboys either can't afford him or won't want to give him a long-term deal. Though no other team may either.

<Sigh> what could have been. Still may work out, but we'll just have to wait and see....

DFWJC

Reaction score
Injuries have killed LVE
But neither he nor Jaylon were my preferences when we were on the clock drafting
I suspect a lot here could say the same thing

main thing I recall about LVE’s 1st round was that, once again, we snoozed and lost on Derwn James right ahead of us.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Injuries have killed LVE
But neither he nor Jaylon were my preferences when we were on the clock drafting
It was myles jack and rashaan evans for me

kskboys

Reaction score
Injuries have killed LVE
I am against taking players w/ injury issues before the late 4th in principle, so I was not on board w/ either pick. NFL is much rougher than college, so if a guy has issues in college, there's very little chance that those injuries won't follow him. Each injury must be examined closely to determine if it will be a chronic problem. Quite simply, every human body is built differently, and some simply aren't built to withstand the extreme pounding.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Good move to put him in a contract year. He and Jaylon are playing for their jobs this season.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
So are we saying that Jaylon might need to worry about his job?:lmao2:

Last edited:

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
So are we saying that Jaylon might need to worry about his job?

He’s safer than LVE but not by much. It’ll save the team $5 million if we cut Jaylon next offseason, which isn’t really enough to sign a decent replacement. It’ll save us almost $10 million if we cut him in 2023.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Judging by the moves they’ve made this offseason, McCarthy and Quinn put most of the defensive failure last season at the feet of the linebackers. They kicked Jaylon out to strong side where he’ll be lucky to get 20 snaps a game. They torpedoed LVE’s option. And they spent major capital acquiring new starting LBs.

Sydla

Reaction score
and who was his DC......a guy you called the worst in the league.

Yep.

But then why not apply that logic to Smith? Why are some only excusing LVEs play and then saying maybe it was really Nolan's fault?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I am watching the morning sports talk shows and they keep showing highlights of the Cowboys defense. I think everyone of their players from last season including Tank, Diggs and Donavon Wilson need to be on notice. Jaylon and LVE really stand out as being awful.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What lmao Calm down. He was good his rookie season but lets calm down lol Best you will ever see from a linebacker lol.
You have to excuse me I didn't really get to see many guys prior to the 90's....I personally don't remember a better rookie linebacker to come through Dallas...who do you have in mind?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I am watching the morning sports talk shows and they keep showing highlights of the Cowboys defense. I think everyone of their players from last season including Tank, Diggs and Donavon Wilson need to be on notice. Jaylon and LVE really stand out as being awful.
I'd agree except on Tank. We just don't have anyone who can do what he does on this team right now.