CFZ No Excuses. Period

MS17

Reaction score
It's a phrase that fans, who have absolutely no insight into the players' mental states, love to throw around as if they know something.
Mental toughness, ESPN talks about it to no effect.
When #70, Zack Martin, Cowboys greatest #16 overall draft pick ever delivers a talk on 'Mental Toughness', I want to be there.
There's your definition.

dcstar

Reaction score
If we want our Cowboys to finally win a divisional round playoff game, there can be NO EXCUSES. PERIOD.
I‘m hoping this team mentally rejects all the excuses that many throw out about why we have a “disadvantage”. Here are some of the many excuses we must hope our team rejects:
  • ”They get two more days of rest”. Who cares? Just win.
  • ”On the road again this week.” Who cares? Just win.
  • ”They whipped us physically last time.” Doesn’t matter this time. Just win.
  • ”The refs (fill in the blank)…” Who cares? Overcome them. Just win.
  • “It’s a grass field.” Don’t care. Doesn’t matter. Just win.
  • ”We’re not getting respected this week.” Who cares? We haven’t earned it yet. Everyone has to respect playoff wins. Keep winning.
  • ”So and so is hurt…” Who cares? They have players out too. Just win.
  • ”We haven’t won these kind of games.” Just win this one.
Just win. Find a way. Be mentally tougher than they are. Punch then counter-punch.
If we win we its because we earned it. If they win it’s because they overcame our best shot on every single play.

NO EXCUSES. FIND A WAY. JUST WIN.
Hear hear

Go Cowboys!

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
I love all these replies that start off agreeing with OP and then end with "yeah but [insert excuse here] sure is a big advantage for the niners"

IceBowler

Reaction score
If we want our Cowboys to finally win a divisional round playoff game, there can be NO EXCUSES. PERIOD.
I‘m hoping this team mentally rejects all the excuses that many throw out about why we have a “disadvantage”. Here are some of the many excuses we must hope our team rejects:
  • ”They get two more days of rest”. Who cares? Just win.
  • ”On the road again this week.” Who cares? Just win.
  • ”They whipped us physically last time.” Doesn’t matter this time. Just win.
  • ”The refs (fill in the blank)…” Who cares? Overcome them. Just win.
  • “It’s a grass field.” Don’t care. Doesn’t matter. Just win.
  • ”We’re not getting respected this week.” Who cares? We haven’t earned it yet. Everyone has to respect playoff wins. Keep winning.
  • ”So and so is hurt…” Who cares? They have players out too. Just win.
  • ”We haven’t won these kind of games.” Just win this one.
Just win. Find a way. Be mentally tougher than they are. Punch then counter-punch.
If we win we its because we earned it. If they win it’s because they overcame our best shot on every single play.

NO EXCUSES. FIND A WAY. JUST WIN.
If they lose there’ll be no excuses. They’ll simply fly back, empty out their lockers and begin a 3.5 month vacation with enough money in the bank to enjoy one like we can’t imagine..

plasticman

Reaction score
I remember Troy Aikman commenting that you never know when or if you will ever get this chance again in your career, so you have to give everything you have as a player.

That's all I ask because I know that if they give everything they have then they will win.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
I can finally agree with one of your posts! You sure that you didn’t miss adding anything about Jerry standing in the way?! Bless you…
Oh, make no mistake, Jerry's ALWAYS in the way...one way or another.

catiii

Reaction score
THIS is what this team needs to win. THIS is the type coach we need to win. THIS is the attitude we need to win. // This is one of the best football movies ever made. Watch it to the very very end!
from "Facing the Giants." @Bobhaze

Last edited:

75boyz

Reaction score
Not sure if CowboysZone could exist if it's members did not have excuses to explain away team failure but I for one, sure as h*** support this OP.

And respect is earned in the playoffs too.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I generally like Bob's posts, but this one is &^@#. He's in no position to play censor to what we want to talk about if/when we lose.

Exactly.
Its cool- It’s an opinion forum. I’m not offended by anyone disagreeing with mine. It’s what makes this place work as long as we respect each other it’s all good.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can boil it down to one word.
Execution.

Offense, Defense, ST

This game defines MM

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mental toughness, ESPN talks about it to no effect.
When #70, Zack Martin, Cowboys greatest #16 overall draft pick ever delivers a talk on 'Mental Toughness', I want to be there.
There's your definition.
Yep. Not sure why JD objects so hard. Very odd.

Flamma

Reaction score
I have to agree with the OP. Put the excuses aside. There have been a lot of big upsets in the past.

The Titans beating the Ravens in 2019
The Giants beating the 15-1 Packers in 2011
The Jets taking out the Colts and Patriots in back to back weeks in 2010.

To be honest, if the Cowboys beat the 49ers, it wouldn't even qualify as that big of an upset. An upset, yes. But nothing like the above. If the Giants beat the Eagles, that would qualify. If the Jags beat the Chiefs, that would qualify.

I didn't expect the Cowboys to dominate the Bucs. Yeah they are not very good, but games like that are exactly the types of games the Cowboys either lose, or barely squeak by. I think the Cowboys have a legit shot at winning, where I did not only a week ago.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I generally like Bob's posts, but this one is &^@#. He's in no position to play censor to what we want to talk about if/when we lose.

Exactly.
I think if you read that OP again, Bullet is speaking about the team making excuses, not the members here.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I don't disagree, but couple of those bullet points have real impact. going on the road for the 4th time in a row. that's tough. and if you have two less days and lose a day to travel. it impacts your game preparation. their coaches/players have had two more days to watch tape and prepare. it makes a difference.

but I am with you. do what's needed. go out and win.
I think the best thing is to be on the road away from Jones and jonesboys fans. Time these Arlington Jonesboys go earn the Star on their helmets. The real Dallas Cowboys (70-90's) were road warriors.