No love for Crayton?

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I have stated that I think Crayton will step it up this year. Statistically, he may catch the same amount of balls or even less, but I think he will show up in the clutch this time around and be a quality number 2.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Joe Rod;2176415 said:
I have stated that I think Crayton will step it up this year. Statistically, he may catch the same amount of balls or even less, but I think he will show up in the clutch this time around and be a quality number 2.

He had better... :chop:

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
iceberg;2176382 said:
did i ever tell you my mcgreggor joke?

basically, you can do so many great things and people never take note. but ya bang one goat and suddenly you're mcgreggor the goat banger.

i got more frustrated with his mouth than him dropping a pass. like roy williams, the mouth doesn't help the lack of performance, perceived or otherwise.

.... only one goat? :mule:

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Crayton has gotten plenty of love re the contract he got near the end of the 2007 season.
His tendency to yap and giving up on that route kinda dried up most of th goodwill.
I wish him the best, though, and hope he can go from journeyman mode to a viable No. 2. I write this knowing that playing with T.O., Witten and possibly a much-utilized Felix will reduce his workload.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
iceberg;2176388 said:
this is where i put crayton. one of the best #3's out there, marginal as a 2.

Slushy, I would like to co-sign your post.
You may go now.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
His mouth is never lacking but his post season play is, so having said that he needs to earn some "love" around here.;)

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Ben_n_austin;2176445 said:
.... only one goat? :mule:

it was something along the lines of
ya see that stone wall out there? i built that wall and many like it in scottland. i pulled up each stone by hand from the fields and created that wall. it's the strongest wall in all of scottland. but do they call me mcgregor the wall builder? no.

this bar we're sitting at. i chopped the wood and planed it to a glass edge and made this fine bar we're all sitting at. royalty has some in and commented on it's greatness. but do they call me mcgregor the wall builder? no.

that pier on the water...i studied ocean effects on piers, i treated the wood by hand, and i made the fastening rope in my own shed with the finest hairs to be found. but do they call me mcgregor the pier builder? no.

but ya bang one goat...

that one dropped pass sure has come back to haunt crayton by a lot of fans who refuse to forgive.

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
iceberg;2176509 said:
it was something along the lines of
ya see that stone wall out there? i built that wall and many like it in scottland. i pulled up each stone by hand from the fields and created that wall. it's the strongest wall in all of scottland. but do they call me mcgregor the wall builder? no.

this bar we're sitting at. i chopped the wood and planed it to a glass edge and made this fine bar we're all sitting at. royalty has some in and commented on it's greatness. but do they call me mcgregor the wall builder? no.

that pier on the water...i studied ocean effects on piers, i treated the wood by hand, and i made the fastening rope in my own shed with the finest hairs to be found. but do they call me mcgregor the pier builder? no.

but ya bang one goat...

that one dropped pass sure has come back to haunt crayton by a lot of fans who refuse to forgive.

I've heard that joke. I laugh every time.... one goat...... :laugh1:

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Ben_n_austin;2176514 said:
I've heard that joke. I laugh every time.... one goat...... :laugh1:

first time i heard that i almost lost it - and i don't lose it on too many jokes.

but it's true. if witten would have missed that pass, no one would be trading witten at every opportunity. TO has missed a lot of passes in his career. but no one is trying to trade him.

craytons biggest problem is the fan who won't let go. if romo had overthrown the pass it would likely be a non-issue. but he missed it. it happens. now if only people could let it go and quit punishing the man before he even has a chance to make amends.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really like Crayton, and we're lucky to have him despite the fact that many don't appreciate him.

The running his mouth stuff is mostly meaningless in my book. If he'd just stop making guarantees for the team that he can't back up on his own, it's fine with me that he says what's on his mind. The guy drops fewer passes on the team, and makes clutch plays when we need them, so I don't hold the fact that he dropped one of the biggest catches of his career against him. I chalk that one up to bad luck until I see otherwise.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
Iceberg...it wasn't just the one dropped pass that earned Crayton all this hate...he ran his mouth, and he ran his mouth, and he ran his mouth some more, then in critical spots in a huge game he dropped a pass helen keller would have caught and admittedly gave up on his route at the end of the game after he had gotten behind the db....add to these things that he choked in a game where we had home field advantage and playing to host the NFC Championship game...Crayton did more than his share to contribute to this "Perfect Storm"....If our 34 year old TO gets another hamstring pull or high ankle sprain, Crayton is our #1 receiver ? No thanks. Crayton needs to be our #3 receiver and to burn in hell and the Cowboys need an upgrade.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
MaineBoy;2176586 said:
Iceberg...it wasn't just the one dropped pass that earned Crayton all this hate...he ran his mouth, and he ran his mouth, and he ran his mouth some more, then in critical spots in a huge game he dropped a pass helen keller would have caught and admittedly gave up on his route at the end of the game after he had gotten behind the db....add to these things that he choked in a game where we had home field advantage and playing to host the NFC Championship game...Crayton did more than his share to contribute to this "Perfect Storm"....If our 34 year old TO gets another hamstring pull or high ankle sprain, Crayton is our #1 receiver ? No thanks. Crayton needs to be our #3 receiver and to burn in hell and the Cowboys need an upgrade.

and if he caught the pass, would anyone care?

i've got a long history of NOT being a fan of "the mouth" on players. i've said crayton is our own "freddie mitchell" many times.

but it is that one pass.

after that i'm not going to get into discussions about people who wish "burn in hell" on players they've likely never met. such extreme statements validates my own thoughts that it's personal with you and people like you.

great. be that way. i view that as ignorance in motion.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Ben_n_austin;2176152 said:
With everyone so enamored with the rumors of veteran receivers wondering about the trade wires, I found it interesting that it seems there is no love for Crayton.

I'm sort of impartial about Crayton. But I think he can get the job done. I like him for a few reasons. He's on the same page as the rest of the offense, mentally. He runs good routes. And he is deceptively fast. He normally catches most everything, too.

So, I'm just wondering why there is no love for Crayton?

He did help us go 13-3 and stepped up to the plate for a Terry Glenn-less Dallas Cowboys.

My heart goes out to, Patrck, because I know he's got to feel this in his gut like a freshly sharpened pencil stabbing him through the kidneys.....

Ouch.

He ended the season on pretty much the lowest note possible.

A lot of people still blame him for that playoff loss.

I'm still really bitter over it. Every time I read that he has "the best hands on the team" I want to throw my computer out the window in frustration!

Right or wrong, that drop and him pulling up there at the end is gonna stick in some craws for awhile... at least until he redeems himself.

rynochop

Reaction score
Chief;2176231 said:
The thing that bothers me about Crayton (other than his mouth) is that he's a hamstring pull away from having to be the No. 1 receiver.

Well you just scared the crap out of me. Thanks.:eek:

Boysboy

Reaction score
Danny White;2176593 said:
He ended the season on pretty much the lowest note possible.

A lot of people still blame him for that playoff loss.

I'm still really bitter over it. Every time I read that he has "the best hands on the team" I want to throw my computer out the window in frustration!

Right or wrong, that drop and him pulling up there at the end is gonna stick in some craws for awhile... at least until he redeems himself.

Honestly-I don't blame him for the loss any more than Romo the previous year for botching that FG hold.

Pt being that there were MANY reasons why we lost that(and the Seattle) playoff game. Wasn't Jacques Reeves supposed to be the goat for giving up 1/2 of the yards on the Giants' 47 second, end of the 1st half drive? Wasn't Fasano supposed to be the goat for dropping that TD pass? How did all those missed tackles on Toomer happened in the 1st quarter?

Pt being that really-who cares what Crayton did at the end? We just weren't physically, and mentally prepared for the playoffs that year. Green Bay would have whooped us the week after. And to boot-the Pats would have annihilated us in the SB.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Hostile;2176168 said:
I think he's a weapon as a #3 WR and slightly behind the curve as a #2.

If that's hate...

Come on Hos, just look into the Rodgers thread and you can see what he's talking about

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
He needs to atone for what he did in a BIG way.

Its 3rd and 13, Romo finds Crayton with a mile of space in front of him, no one close to covering him, and he drops it. That image is seared into my retinas.

I just want him to shut up and play football, but it seems like he hasnt learned anything.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
Oh yea, he also made us burn our final time out because his ******* wasnt set.

StarMan2112

Reaction score
Chief;2176231 said:
The thing that bothers me about Crayton (other than his mouth) is that he's a hamstring pull away from having to be the No. 1 receiver.

I like the young receivers on this team (especially Sam Hurd), but if 34-year-old Terrell Owens goes down, things are going to get a little rough.

Bingo! Just like last year.

I like our WR's as long as Owens is healthy. Take him away and we are screwed imo.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chief;2176231 said:

I like the young receivers on this team (especially Sam Hurd), but if 34-year-old Terrell Owens goes down, things are going to get a little rough.

Should that be the thing that bothers you about TO is you're not sure whether or not he can stay healthy for a whole season?