No love for Crayton?

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Idgit;2177420 said:
Should that be the thing that bothers you about TO is you're not sure whether or not he can stay healthy for a whole season?

I hope T.O. and Romo stay healthy for the season. If not, it could get interesting.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I like Crayton and I've liked him since his first season here. I like how he's gotten better every year and while I was disappointed in his role in the loss in the playoffs I was also quite disappointed in the roles of everyone else in that loss so I'm certainly not going to hate on him for it.

People just need a reason to complain.

gambit187

Reaction score
I GOT LOVE FOR OUR 7TH ROUNDER, EVEN IF YOU SUPER JOCKS DONT THIS IS ALL I NEED TO KNOW

The list of No. 2 wide receivers who had both more yards receiving and touchdown catches than Patrick Crayton (697 yards, 7 TDs) in 2007.
Receiver Yards TDs
Patriots' Wes Welker 1175 8
Bengals' T.J. Houshmandzadeh 1143 12
Packers' Greg Jennings 920 12
Cardinals' Anquan Boldin 853 9
Steelers' Hines Ward 732 7

This is something I did not know, you mean to tell me there are only 5 other number 2 receivers that put up more yards then our 7th round draft pick. So out of 32 teams Crayton was top 6 when it comes to the number two guy. Man oh Man we got a steal.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
gambit187;2177626 said:
I GOT LOVE FOR OUR 7TH ROUNDER, EVEN IF YOU SUPER JOCKS DONT THIS IS ALL I NEED TO KNOW

The list of No. 2 wide receivers who had both more yards receiving and touchdown catches than Patrick Crayton (697 yards, 7 TDs) in 2007.
Receiver Yards TDs

This is something I did not know, you mean to tell me there are only 5 other number 2 receivers that put up more yards then our 7th round draft pick. So out of 32 teams Crayton was top 6 when it comes to the number two guy. Man oh Man we got a steal.
Let me ask you this. Does that mean we should not seek to improve a position if we have the chance?

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2177625 said:
I like Crayton and I've liked him since his first season here. I like how he's gotten better every year and while I was disappointed in his role in the loss in the playoffs I was also quite disappointed in the roles of everyone else in that loss so I'm certainly not going to hate on him for it.

People just need a reason to complain.

I kind of agree. For all we know, he could have a break out year with 900 yards and 12 TDs.

It's all speculation at this point. And last year was, well, last year....

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
gambit187;2177626 said:

Receiver Yards TDs

I agree. I'm not sure there is much "upgrading" we could realistically do. And if we could, why aren't more teams upgrading like this?

It's a head scratcher.

Though we don't really have a pecking order amongst our receivers, I think Crayton will show why he's in the top six "#2" receivers. And though a lot of that has to do with Romo and his supporting cast, I venture to say Crayton knows what he's doing out there and he and Romo are on the same page.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is an old quote from a KC Joyner chat about Crayton. Adds some perspective, anyway. Best justification for an upgrade at the position is for insurance in case TO gets hurt.

http://blog.dallascowboys.com/forums/p/39669/1265549.aspx

BSR: Adam Schefter of the NFL Network reported that Dallas was supposedly interested in Joe Horn. Does he have anything left?

Joyner: Joe Horn did not have enough attempts to qualify for my ratings but his numbers were between five and six, which are not good.

I have to wonder why they feel they need another complementary receiver. I have a new rating this year, where I look at how a receiver did against three different classes of corners. I classify any CB with a YPA below 7 yards as a red corner, a CB with a YPA between 7 and 9 as a yellow corner and any corner with a YPA above 9 as a green corners. Reds are matchups you tend to avoid, yellows you attack with caution and greens are great matchups for a quarterback.

Last year, Patrick Crayton had a 5.4 YPA against red corners, which is not very good. But his YPA against yellow CBs and against green CBs was above nine. Now a YPA around ten will usually rate a receiver at the top of the league.

This means that when he was not matched up against elite corners, Patrick Crayton was a very effective receiver.

Look, Terrell Owens will probably have 150 passes thrown his way. Jason Witten will get another 100 to 120. Crayton will probably get 90 to 100 balls. The running backs and backup tight ends will get maybe 60 or so. That’s just over 400 attempts. How much will Dallas need another receiver?
Here’s another reason why I wonder if Dallas needs another receiver. I used the red/yellow/green system to rate the matchups each QB will face in ‘08, giving a zero every time a QB faces a red CB, one point for a yellow CB and two for a green one.

Tony Romo has the lowest matchup total for any QB entering 2008, meaning he faces the hardest schedule passing wise. When the Cowboys coaches look at their opponents I think they’ll rely on their running game more this season. Now, every other NFC East QB will also have a tough road, but Romo has the most difficult schedule, period.​

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Idgit;2178089 said:
This is an old quote from a KC Joyner chat about Crayton. Adds some perspective, anyway. Best justification for an upgrade at the position is for insurance in case TO gets hurt.
http://blog.dallascowboys.com/forums/p/39669/1265549.aspx

BSR: Adam Schefter of the NFL Network reported that Dallas was supposedly interested in Joe Horn. Does he have anything left?

Joyner: Joe Horn did not have enough attempts to qualify for my ratings but his numbers were between five and six, which are not good.

I have to wonder why they feel they need another complementary receiver. I have a new rating this year, where I look at how a receiver did against three different classes of corners. I classify any CB with a YPA below 7 yards as a red corner, a CB with a YPA between 7 and 9 as a yellow corner and any corner with a YPA above 9 as a green corners. Reds are matchups you tend to avoid, yellows you attack with caution and greens are great matchups for a quarterback.

Last year, Patrick Crayton had a 5.4 YPA against red corners, which is not very good. But his YPA against yellow CBs and against green CBs was above nine. Now a YPA around ten will usually rate a receiver at the top of the league.

This means that when he was not matched up against elite corners, Patrick Crayton was a very effective receiver.

Look, Terrell Owens will probably have 150 passes thrown his way. Jason Witten will get another 100 to 120. Crayton will probably get 90 to 100 balls. The running backs and backup tight ends will get maybe 60 or so. That’s just over 400 attempts. How much will Dallas need another receiver?
Here’s another reason why I wonder if Dallas needs another receiver. I used the red/yellow/green system to rate the matchups each QB will face in ‘08, giving a zero every time a QB faces a red CB, one point for a yellow CB and two for a green one.

Tony Romo has the lowest matchup total for any QB entering 2008, meaning he faces the hardest schedule passing wise. When the Cowboys coaches look at their opponents I think they’ll rely on their running game more this season. Now, every other NFC East QB will also have a tough road, but Romo has the most difficult schedule, period.​

Nice post. :)