No love from NFL Network

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
That's the whole point. The Cowboys are not Super Bowl contenders without Romo. The deep throws he makes are amazing, especially over the middle. His best quality is his lack of fear. If makes a mistake, he more than makes up for them. If he tries to be conservative or a care-taker of the offense, then he loses his magic.

Aikbach

Reaction score
Talking heads will be talking heads, controversy, even contrived turmoil, is interesting television and in that regard the NFL sometimes mimics the WWE by creating drama that is exaggerated.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
bkight13;2277541 said:
I don't want to change anything about Romo. His gunslinger mentality is what makes him special. Everyone overlooks his perfect throws and elusiveness, but they harp on his mistakes. I'll a 10/1 awesome play to mistake ratio. He has the confidence to know that they can overcome turnovers.
If he had a Lombardi Trophy (or heck even a playoff win) in his pocket you can give him a pass (ie. #4) and say something as fooolish as you wouldn't want change. He has tons of weapons, an OL and great OC at his disposal. You reserving space in Canton but he's playing on the most talented team in the NFL this year and top-3 last year.

Maybe it's having watched #12 have the same confidence, the same elusiveness, the same big plays, the moxie but of course almost no bone-headed play, more playoff & superbowl victories that makes me want more from Romo than what you guys are happy with. Sorry, not going to apologize or ignore bone-headed plays by QB.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Aikbach;2277584 said:
Talking heads will be talking heads, controversy, even contrived turmoil, is interesting television and in that regard the NFL sometimes mimics the WWE by creating drama that is exaggerated.

Count on a story on ESPN this week about "The Cowboys won ... but is TO happy with his role?"

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
chinch;2277585 said:
If he had a Lombardi Trophy (or heck even a playoff win) in his pocket you can give him a pass (ie. #4) and say something as fooolish as you wouldn't want change. He has tons of weapons, an OL and great OC at his disposal. You reserving space in Canton but he's playing on the most talented team in the NFL this year and top-3 last year.

Maybe it's having watched #12 have the same confidence, the same elusiveness, the same big plays, the moxie but of course almost no bone-headed play, more playoff & superbowl victories that makes me want more from Romo than what you guys are happy with. Sorry, not going to apologize or ignore bone-headed plays by QB.

Then you're basically saying you want Romo to be Staubach, right? Those are some pretty big shoes to fill.

I guess my point would be sometimes you can't have it both ways. Aikman's style of play would never lend itself to making some of Romo's dumb mistakes. Aikman also couldn't make half the plays Romo does. At the end of the day, is it worth the trade off? We'll find out, I guess.

Certainly the ideal would be if Romo can be at his gunslinging best, but do it without ever -- or, rarely -- making that bonehead play. I'm sure he's striving to do that, and maybe he'll reach that level some day; possibly even later this year?

Until then, though, I think it's a flaw you do just have to live with, as trite as that sounds.

(Btw ... it's not like he's never had games without INTs. He certainly throws more than he should, but eight of his, what 16 or so last year came in two games).

thekavorka

Reaction score
chinch;2277351 said:
Deion was spot-on & very fair. Romo's INT (another end zone int) was brutal, as were some other mistakes. Again we're needing to connect on 3rd & 20 to close out or win games?

Truth be told, none of us has seen a superbowl team make the kinds of mental mistakes Dallas has thru 3 games this season and all of last year.

the good news is the 'boys are 3-0 and can hopefully self-coach themselves to correct this.

we haven't actually done a good job of correcting these mistakes the last 2.5 years. i dont see how things will magically be different this year.

i'm just going to accept these mistakes are going to happen and hopefully they can overcome them like they've been doing

Use Your Illusion

Reaction score
Why should they have any faith in this team? We started 11-1 last year with the only loss coming to the Patriots, beat the Giants twice and pretty much looked to be in the drivers seat for the Superbowl.

Sure, 3-0 looks good, but the problems that plague this team now (Romo's mistakes, erratic defense, stupid penalties) are the ones that led to this team's demise at the end of last season.

Nobody is going to believe in this team until they win a playoff game.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
5Stars;2277321 said:
What exactely did he "kill" with his bonehead killer play?

I thought the Cowboys won?

No, his mistakes didn't cost us the game.....this time. However, you can't honestly believe that he can continue to make those kind of mistakes and recover from it every single time.

It's just the odds that it will bite him at least once, and frankly, I'd rather not have to play those odds.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Well...I don't blame people for being skeptical.

However, I thought that was one of the most dominating wins this team had in quite awhile.

Why?

-They were coming off a physical, thrilling win against a division foe on Monday night
-Our quarterback was coming home to play for the first time, I am sure he had his share of distractions
-The Packers are a Super Bowl contender
-The Cowboys made a few mistakes on offense and still dominated
-They controlled the clock and the running game was magnificent
-They shut down what was supposed to be one the best most powerful offenses in football.

I say screw the media.

vicjagger

Reaction score
We are the second to the last team in the NFL in 2 key categories: turnover ratio and penalty yards/game. We need to improve in those areas.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
No, I gave you an example showing you why CHANGE and curbing misakes is PRIORITY #1 for Romo. Sure it won't matter vs crummy teams but...

i'm saying the guy has all the qualities to be A GREAT but his bone-headed play can and will cost us dearly and IF UNCORRECTED will ABSOLUTELY limit his GREATNESS and our team's chances to win multiple Superbowls with him.

RainMan;2277593 said:
Then you're basically saying you want Romo to be Staubach, right? Those are some pretty big shoes to fill.

I guess my point would be sometimes you can't have it both ways. Aikman's style of play would never lend itself to making some of Romo's dumb mistakes. Aikman also couldn't make half the plays Romo does. At the end of the day, is it worth the trade off? We'll find out, I guess.

Certainly the ideal would be if Romo can be at his gunslinging best, but do it without ever -- or, rarely -- making that bonehead play. I'm sure he's striving to do that, and maybe he'll reach that level some day; possibly even later this year?

Until then, though, I think it's a flaw you do just have to live with, as trite as that sounds.

(Btw ... it's not like he's never had games without INTs. He certainly throws more than he should, but eight of his, what 16 or so last year came in two games).

lspain1

Reaction score
I think Deion's comments were fair. Romo is NOT above criticism and the mistakes ARE a concern. My whole family was wondering why he was having an "off" night in the first half. We'll see.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Romo just has a hard time taking a negative play. That is his main problem IMO.

I love the guy and I would not change his ways other than just take the sack if you have to. He got away with a lot of make the first guy miss last year and then make a play. Last night there always seemed to be 2 guys around when he was trying to do that. That was the only thing that frustrated me about last night.

Int's come and go and no one is immune to that. Manning had 2 yesterday for the record.

The fumble in Philly is a freak play IMO and I was not one of the ones you wanted him to kick it out of the endzone so I am not going to fault him for that at all.

Garrett I thought made good adjustments at halftime but I don't quite understand why he did not make them a bit earlier in the game. Romo himself said he thought they were going to double TO and Witten a lot in the game. Was that why we saw Austin in the second half and Crayton no where to be found.

btcutter

Reaction score
Use Your Illusion;2277674 said:
Why should they have any faith in this team? We started 11-1 last year with the only loss coming to the Patriots, beat the Giants twice and pretty much looked to be in the drivers seat for the Superbowl.

Sure, 3-0 looks good, but the problems that plague this team now (Romo's mistakes, erratic defense, stupid penalties) are the ones that led to this team's demise at the end of last season.

Nobody is going to believe in this team until they win a playoff game.

I think the assessments and skepticisims are fair. Until we win in the playoffs, we haven't done mcuh.

I do see that are coverage has improved and giving the pass rush an extra second or two to get to the QB.

I also see that our OL is much better this yr at run blocking. Last yr, teams challenged us to run with only 7 in box but we couldn't do it consistently. This yr it looks like we are making them pay and die a slow death.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I will also say this. Simms said during the Philly game yesterday and I quote, "how did the Cowboys put up 41 on this defense"?

I think that says it all about this team at this point this year. They are the best , it does not mean squat to some around here unless you win a Superbowl and I understand that but some around here need to take Romo's approach and enjoy the season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
I love just taking 15 minutes on a Monday at work to come and read this stuff, last week it was all about how the Defense wont be able to stop a local High School Team and now it is all about Romo making mistakes. I think this whining is getting old and shows the true bandwagoneers and the true lifetime fans. If Romo was a clone of Aikman, would we have won that Buffalo game last year on the last drive? Or the Eagles last week? Romo is just a new style of QB some of you superconservatives have to realize will not last in today's gunslinging passing offenses around the NFL today.

links18

Reaction score
DallasInDC;2277085 said:
IIRC they were all saying they expected us to lose after such an emotional game last week on a short week to prepare for an away game in Lambeau were we had never won before. Now that we beet GB pretty handidly (greater than the score showed) and now we are not a SB caliber team??? Screw em!!!!

That's the problem I have with this team right now. All 3 games we have won--but we should have won all 3 by "greater than the score showed." We can't keep that up and not expect it to bite us you know where......:bang2:

ryanbabs

Reaction score
5Stars;2277078 said:
Don't forget that they said that the Cowboys "were lucky" to get the win against the eagles...!

:cool:

That's what I don't get...aside from the Bogus Pass interference, Romo blunder, and penalties..the Eagles were lucky they didn't get blown out! They never look at both sides...:confused: