No Riley Cooper Thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Ahhh.... this is not true. The African American community definitely cares about it's usage. If they didn't, you wouldn't see the firestorm you are seeing right now over it's usage. We would simply look at Cooper for the fool he is and move on. Instead, we have 8 pages of discussion on something that happened with the Philadelphia Eagles on a Dallas Cowboy Football board.

You would think it'd be relatively easy to just all agree that Cooper was a fool for saying that, and move on.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Ok last post because I was supposed to be done here. You're talking about two different situations. I said Black people do not care about other ethnic groups using "gga" in reference to themselves when they are in their circles. I did not say Black people do not care about Riley Cooper saying he's going to fight every "gger" in the joint.

As I said that's not true. It's not true and there is overwhelming proof of this.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Ok last post because I was supposed to be done here. You're talking about two different situations. I said Black people do not care about other ethnic groups using "gga" in reference to themselves when they are in their circles. If it was within the rules I'd post a youtube video of a bunch of hispanics throwing it around at each other over 30X and no one would care. I did not say Black people do not care about Riley Cooper saying he's going to fight every "gger" in the joint.

..and either way.. you're wrong. Moving on..

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
I have not commented in this thread because I hate that word and I personally don't think anyone, black or white, should use it.

But all things being equal, where is the 8 page thread on Terrence Jones? What he did seems worse to me than uttering an ugly word.

Reaction score
In rap videos it is used as a term of endearment (-a ending) as opposed to the way riley said (-er ending). Come on dude you're better than this. Do I really have to explain this to you?

I don't agree with it or think it's a positive thing but I get it and understand context.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Oh, ok, .. because what Cooper did is a football related topic, and what Jones did is a basketball topic. Right.

If Cooper didn't play for the Eagles this doesn't make ten pages.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
If Cooper didn't play for the Eagles this doesn't make ten pages.

Are you predicting two more pages full? :)

But this is not a football discussion and not an Eagles discussion, ... don't kid yourself.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't agree with it or think it's a positive thing but I get it and understand context.

I think we all get and understand context but I don't see how that really helps improve the real problem. I see the context argument in much the same way as I view the good ole boy argument.

For years, people used that as a way of excluding gender or accepting certain language or behavior.

"It's because it's just us boys, you won't understand and don't you worry your little head about it."

Now, as society has changed, that is no longer accepted. Right or wrong, that's a behavior that is no longer accepted in America publicly. I see this acceptance of the usage of the NWord in African American circles as the same kind of behavior. Look, if a thing is wrong, then it should just be wrong and that's the end of it. Those who would continue to be stupid should be viewed as such and treated accordingly.

What should not happen is an acceptance of the behavior for some and a persecution for others behind the behavior. Can we not all see what this is really about? This type of behavior and the sensationalism that goes along with it in our society is nothing more then a way to control people and incite specific reactions and behaviors. Some use it to gain power, some to gain money, some to incite division, some to just keep control through the use of ethnic sensitivities. In schools today, nobody teaches that the only real freedom is the freedom a person gains through their own efforts. Think for yourself and recognize right and wrong through your own set of morals and responsibilities. Now, they teach you that it's always somebody else who is at fault. It's the fault of somebody else when in reality, it's our own choice to give things weight and importance. These comments and behaviors exhibited from this moron are only important because we allow them to be. But since we do allow it, we are also allowing ourselves to be manipulated by outside sources who definitely have an agenda and that agenda is not for the benefit of you or I. It is for their own benefit and we should really be smarter then that by now.

All these years of struggle against this type of behavior. All these years of War, of expense, of religious doctrine, of higher education, of social engineering, of Government investment, of literally Billions upon Billions of Dollars spent have lead us to what? A pavlovian response through conditioned behavior to act a certain way in certain situations. We really should be smarter then that. We really should be better. We should, by now, be able to think logically about the situation and deal with it for what it is. Stupidity on the part of a single individual and just move on, realizing that he is not us. He is one person who has not taken advantage of what society has afforded us. The ability to think for ourselves, evolve and enrich our own lives through common sense and individual freedoms.

Sometimes, I really wonder if we are closer to evolving or not?

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Are you predicting two more pages full? :)

But this is not a football discussion and not an Eagles discussion, ... don't kid yourself.

I'm predicting 15 pages. Don't kid yourself if he was playing on the Jags it wouldn't be getting this media attention.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Never read Huck Finn? The word became a pejorative in the early 1800s.

Yes he used it but not as a pejorative and that was the 1880s, 1884 to be exact. 16 years before the 1900s and it wasn't until then that the word became a pejorative. However, that's a distraction from the main issue which is that's an ugly word.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Don't kid yourself if he was playing on the Jags it wouldn't be getting this media attention.

This is a black/white thing, nothing else. A white guy used a word that is insulting to blacks.

From reading this thread you can see that if it was a black guy saying that word, this is no story at all.

There are people who stir this pot for personal gain, .. like ABQ said.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I agree with this statement, however, when black people use the term, most often they are not referring to themselves, but to another black person.. which i still feel isn't right. Just because you are ok with someone calling you a derogatory name, doesn't mean every person of your culture or race is ok with being called that. That being said, i also agree with some other people that its just a word.. and it only hurts you as much as you let it.. same as any other word.

I said labeling yourself not being all inclusive of a group. But you're right. Somethings just aren't said and for good reasons. They are hurtful and this one is very hurtful and also hateful in the real sense.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh, ok, .. because what Cooper did is a football related topic, and what Jones did is a basketball topic. Right.

Well, actually if Cooper (idiot #1) was a basketball player, then this thread would be in the Sports Zone. Cooper is a football player, so while this isn't a football topic, it is about a NFL player which is why it's in NFL Zone.

Terrence Jones (idiot #2) is a NBA player therefore any thread about him on CZ would go in the Sports Zone.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a black/white thing, nothing else. A white guy used a word that is insulting to blacks.

From reading this thread you can see that if it was a black guy saying that word, this is no story at all.

There are people who stir this pot for personal gain, .. like ABQ said.
I agree it's a black/white thing and Cooper shouldn't have said it...and so if the pot is being stirred, it's because Cooper (idiot#1) put pepper in the soup.

Zordon

Reaction score
Yes he used it but not as a pejorative and that was the 1880s, 1884 to be exact. 16 years before the 1900s and it wasn't until then that the word became a pejorative. However, that's a distraction from the main issue which is that's an ugly word.
So just to be clear b/c maybe I'm not understanding you correctly, you believe the N word did not become a derogatory term towards African Americans until 1900?

Status
Not open for further replies.