No Riley Cooper Thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yeah, they're not going to cut him...and I think the calls for his release or suspension were a bit unrealistic. This wasn't a case of Hernandez accused of killing someone..or multiple someones. An apology, a press conference, sensitivity training, and some training camp hazing, and the story will all but be forgotten until their first preseason game.

Maybe a couple of puke and recover runs for a good week after practice might not be a bad idea either. Sometimes, those are the best lessons of all.

;)

Frozen700

Reaction score
lol...

some of you are way to sensitive, going back and forth.

He said it, now what? What are you gonna do about it? Besides complain over the internet.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
lol...

some of you are way to sensitive, going back and forth.

He said it, now what? What are you gonna do about it? Besides complain over the internet.

Threads aren't complete without a sensitivity lesson from Frozen. Thank you, sir.

Now.. we are ready to move on.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know that I agree with this Woodrow. The maddening thing for me is that I see us right on the precipice of actually putting this stuff behind us. I think that if you had real, honest discussion with most Americans, we would find that they are ready to move on. At least that's what they would say and I honestly believe that this is also what they believe in their own minds. However, because we don't just acknowledge this and continually try to bring race into every aspect of our lives, we fail in that endeavor. More and more I am convinced that this is a manipulation (that's the tinfoil and flying helicopter part of my brain perhaps) effect. If we just embraced the fact that we are all masters of our own situations and that we are all part of one society, I think all of this would be behind us. This is not to say that we can't disagree but on this issue, what person could stand in disagreement? That person would stand alone and thus, not serve to divide people.

No, I'm for treating these fools like fools and moving on to better things. I don't believe that this country is racially divided. I believe that is being manufactured and if we simply ignored those who supported those kinds of ideas, we would be better off. I don't need anybody to tell me that I like you. I can figure that out all on my own and it doesn't have one damn thing to do with color. It only has something to do with that if I let it. That's what I think is going on here. We are letting issues like this be used to color or influence us too much. Things have gotten a lot better since the bad old days, I agree with you. That's mostly why I say what I say. I think we are ready as a country to move beyond this. We just have to trust our own moral compass and do it. We don't need to be lead down a bad path. That's my opinion anyhow. I know you may not agree.

I actually agree with alot of what you posted, but I do realize I have a different perspective, too. I just look at things from a different slice of the same pie. I don't walk around with, "Look at me, I'm Black" on my forehead. So race isn't something I just bring up, it is something I live with. I really can't explain it, because while I don't walk around looking for injustices, I definitely know it when I see it.

I think what has to be acknowledged is that there are some people who still hold onto those beliefs that you'd like to think are from a bygone era. The era may have passed, but you still have people who see color first and react accordingly.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
I do agree completely that what he did was foolish and stupid.. but let's not go so far as to call him a fool and a stupid human being.

The people closest to him and that are around him every day have already forgiven him, and a few who have been with him on the Eagles a long time have come out in addition to simply saying they forgive him, and have spoke on his character and that they know from experience with him that he is not a racist, and that he is a very good teammate and friend. Let's take their word for it and move on from this mistake.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I actually agree with alot of what you posted, but I do realize I have a different perspective, too. I just look at things from a different slice of the same pie. I don't walk around with, "Look at me, I'm Black" on my forehead. So race isn't something I just bring up, it is something I live with. I really can't explain it, because while I don't walk around looking for injustices, I definitely know it when I see it.

I think what has to be acknowledged is that there are some people who still hold onto those beliefs that you'd like to think are from a bygone era. The era may have passed, but you still have people who see color first and react accordingly.

I understand what you are saying. I am not white either. I am of Hispanic decent raised in the Midwest and the South before Hispanics really lived outside of the Southwest part of the United States. As a young boy, there were actually grown men and women who thought I was Chinese. I mean, I get that they had never seen Hispanics before but Chinese, really?

Be that as it may, I do know that there are still people in this word who have racial divides in their make up but do you (honest question here) believe that there are more of those kinds of people out there then there are people who do not view things racially? Do you think that the numbers are even close?

I, for one, do not believe that. If that is the case, then we have much bigger problems in this country the what we are currently admitting to. We can move on and leave those folks behind. We don't have to allow ourselves to be manipulated by those kinds of beliefs. They only limit us. We've dealt with this before. There was a time, not so long ago, when the new generations, who were taught to deal with racial equality as a way of life, grew up and those who lived in a time when there was no racial equality got old. We didn't forget about those folks but we didn't allow them to frame our lives through those archaic beliefs either. Their time past and we moved on. I think we are at that kind of point in our social development again. This time, it's holding on to a belief system that looks to hard for racial inequality. Because we have been raise to always be aware of this and never allow it to become a part of how we believe, I think it's used against us all to often. Unscrupulous people or organizations take advantage of that and instead of teaching us to evolve and move past, they use it to insight behavior that, in all honest, we should not allow.

Of course we should never accept those kinds of racial behaviors but we should not allow those situations to drive us toward radical behaviors designed to divide our society, which I do believe is happening all too often.

To me, that is the central question. Are we allowing ourselves to be manipulated in such a way as to actually prevent us from taking the next step in our Social Evolution, which IMO, is coming together as one Society rather then being continuously splintered into racial subdivisions?

We are a better country then that. I believe this and probably could not be convinced otherwise.

Last edited:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jeff McLane ‏@Jeff_McLane 4m
LeSean McCoy: "I forgave Riley. It's new. I hope it wears off. At this point, I speak for myself and other teammates, I know it's different"
Jason Kelce on Riley Cooper: "Anybody that knows him knows he's not a racist ... but knows he can sometimes get a little out of control."
Kelce said and he and Cooper were "both pretty intoxicated that day."

@albertbreer: LeSean McCoy told me what hurts about Cooper's remarks is "losing a friend." ... "I can't respect a guy like that."

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
The era may have passed, but you still have people who see color first and react accordingly.

Do you think that some blacks are guilty of that as well? If so, where does it end?

I actually think whites have done a good job and have come a long way in trying to integrate minority groups into what was once a predominately while society/culture.

At one time I realize there were limits on what blacks could hope to achieve, .. but now we have black Dr's, nurses, lawyers, judges, CEO's, college professors, college presidents, head coaches of many professional sports, governors, senators, C. Powell & C. Rice, .. heck we even have a black President of the United States. Anyone can be .. what they are prepared to work for to get.

Not being able to change the past, and realizing that it will never be perfect moving forward, .. when do we stop discussing race issues or racial differences? When are we just all Americans?

Not necessarily asking you these questions, just asking society in general.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
@albertbreer: LeSean McCoy told me what hurts about Cooper's remarks is "losing a friend." ... "I can't respect a guy like that."

I can't respect a guy who treats women like garbage.. so i guess we're in the same boat, eh LeSean?

Seriously, if you can't forgive your friends for mistakes they make, then you aren't much of a friend in the first place.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand what you are saying. I am not white either. I am of Hispanic decent raised in the Midwest and the South before Hispanics really lived outside of the Southwest part of the United States. As a young boy, there were actually grown men and women who thought I was Chinese. I mean, I get that they had never seen Hispanics before but Chinese, really?
Ok, I lol'd.

Be that as it may, I do know that there are still people in this word who have racial divides in their make up but do you (honest question here) believe that there are more of those kinds of people out there then there are people who do not view things racially? Do you think that the numbers are even close?
Nah, I don't believe we have more racists than non-racists out there. But, I gotta tell you, the racists make it hard for folks to just move on. Because just when you think you're past it, you see stuff happening that has racist overtones written all over it...and what makes folks so angry (speaking generally) is that when you see it, you're told to move on...or it's just one guy, he's a moron, send him to sensitivity training and all is forgiven. And it's hard to do that, because guys like Cooper just don't say stuff like that, with such ease, and then say it was just a one-off. That's just not believable to me. I'm not in the business of walking in crap and thinking it smells like roses.

I, for one, do not believe that. If that is the case, then we have much bigger problems in this country the what we are currently admitting to. We can move on and leave those folks behind. We don't have to allow ourselves to be manipulated by those kinds of beliefs. They only limit us. We've dealt with this before. There was a time, not so long ago, when the new generations, who were taught to deal with racial equality as a way of life, grew up and those who lived in a time when there was no racial equality got old. We didn't forget about those folks but we didn't allow them to frame our lives through those archaic beliefs either. Their time past and we moved on. I think we are at that kind of point in our social development again. This time, it's holding on to a belief system that looks to hard for racial inequality. Because we have been raise to always be aware of this and never allow it to become a part of how we believe, I think it's used against us all to often. Unscrupulous people or organizations take advantage of that and instead of teaching us to evolve and move past, they use it to insight behavior that, in all honest, we should not allow.

Of course we should never accept those kinds of racial behaviors but we should not allow those situations to drive us toward radical behaviors designed to divide our society, which I do believe is happening all too often.

To me, that is the central question. Are we allowing ourselves to be manipulated in such a way as to actually prevent us from taking the next step in our Social Evolution, which IMO, is coming together as one Society rather then being continuously splintered into racial subdivisions?

We are a better country then that. I believe this and probably could not be convinced otherwise.

I don't think we're all that different in our opinions on things. But where we differ is believing that that are other factors other than the individuals involved when dictating the racial divide in this country. I'm not sure what orgs you think have the power to dictate those things, but I'm a big believer in putting the onus on the individuals when it comes to stuff like this, except when they are in positions of power.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I still keep going back to the fact that Cooper is going to get lit up repeatedly throughout the season. Sending him over to the middle is going to be a death sentence.

I'm betting a player will take the 15 yard penalty just to state that he was the one that punked him.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
I still keep going back to the fact that Cooper is going to get lit up repeatedly throughout the season. Sending him over to the middle is going to be a death sentence.

I'm betting a player will take the 15 yard penalty just to state that he was the one that punked him.

Speaking of that.. this is an article that i hope everyone takes 5 minutes out of their lives to read, from a local Philly reporter, who happens to be black.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20130801_Don_t_rush_to_judge_Cooper.html

Keep in mind, i found this article amongst a bunch of other articles condemning Cooper, from a bunch of local white reporters.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you think that some blacks are guilty of that as well? If so, where does it end?
To a lesser extent, yes, and only from what I've seen personally. I can't speak for an entire race. And I guess it only ends in time, I guess.

I actually think whites have done a good job and have come a long way in trying to integrate minority groups into what was once a predominately while society/culture.
I'd love to address this line, but it's not for this forum, as its way too off topic.

Not being able to change the past, and realizing that it will never be perfect moving forward, .. when do we stop discussing race issues or racial differences? When are we just all Americans?

Not necessarily asking you these questions, just asking society in general.
From my perspective we'll never stop discussing race, but not because of any overt angst or anything. It's because we've all accepted that while we are citizens of the US, but that we have cultural differences that can't be wiped away by just saying we're American. I mean, I have Caucasian friends who love to tan, where I personally hate getting darker than I already am. Hair texture is different and has to be maintained differently. There are just natural differences that you can discuss from a racial standpoint and not get all angry about it.

It truly is all about context and that's why Riley's such an idiot.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Calvin Watkins ‏@calvinwatkins 17m
Will somebody go after Riley Cooper?Cowboys S Will Allen said, "absolutely." He adds it would be the wrong thing to do.

Tom Orsborn ‏@tom_orsborn 16m
#Cowboys' Will Allen is "extremely offended" by Riley Cooper's slurs toward African-Americans and expects Eagle WR to be targeted in games.

Tim MacMahon ‏@espn_macmahon 7m
Cowboys S Barry Church was unaware of Riley Cooper controversy. Stunned when told about. Said he could forgive but Cooper will be targeted.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
So what's your real take on the situation. Do you actually have a problem with the word, or just that only one group of people are perceived to be allowed to use it.

Well, that is my 'real take' on the situation.

Like I said, I find the word reprehensible. I find Cooper's actions to be reprehensible.

But screaming for consequences to somebody's actions and then letting it pass when others say it is a double standard. If I were to give Cooper some defense, he said it on his own personal time whereas I've heard others say it countless times in games, practices, etc.

I just have a disdain for the people that feign outrage about stuff like this. They claim they are outraged and wait for the organization/company/whatever to fire somebody. It's the easy way to 'get your way.' I would rather see those who claim outrage actually show enough outrage to stop buying Eagles tickets, merchandise and *actually* protest instead of threatening to protest.

It's hard for me to take the outrage towards Cooper seriously when other black players say the same thing in games and in the same exact manner.

YR

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Calvin Watkins ‏@calvinwatkins 17m
Will somebody go after Riley Cooper?Cowboys S Will Allen said, "absolutely." He adds it would be the wrong thing to do.

Tom Orsborn ‏@tom_orsborn 16m
#Cowboys' Will Allen is "extremely offended" by Riley Cooper's slurs toward African-Americans and expects Eagle WR to be targeted in games.

Tim MacMahon ‏@espn_macmahon 7m
Cowboys S Barry Church was unaware of Riley Cooper controversy. Stunned when told about. Said he could forgive but Cooper will be targeted.

Doesn't speak well to the character of our football team.. and you can best believe that if this actually happens, it will be dealt with by refs and Goodell.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Too often is freedom of speech paraded around as an excuse to be able to say whatever you want. Freedom of speech doesn't mean there are no consequences to your words, rather it insurance against speaking out against the Government and not being imprisoned for doing so.

Freedom of speech does not extent to a lack of consequences socially and financially. Words are actually quite limited in many cases. Hate speech that incites violence, threatening language, libel, slander...

We don't have criminal law against overt expressions of racism, but that doesn't mean there are no social consequences for those expressions. Please stop saying freedom of speech, that's not what it means.

You just proved my point.

We don't have criminal laws against overt expressions of racism. But what we do as a society is that we claim outrage and threaten people where we more or less constrict freedom of speech without it actually being written into law. People end up losing their livelihoods over things like. While I believe Cooper's case is different, some people like Jimmy the Greek end up getting ostracized from society just because they are honestly misinformed. In fact, Jimmy the Greek's black co-host, Irv Cross, has stated on many occasions that he knew that Jimmy was not racist.

Too often, people like Jimmy the Greek are given a societal death sentence just because some people claim outrage..

CBS immediately fired him without every seeing how legitimate that outrage was. And I would be willing to bet that had he just simply issued an apology and stayed with CBS, CBS would never have lost a red cent. And his co-workers were certainly not distressed over his words.

It's not very far different from dictatorships where somebody voiced their opinion of those in charge, except that Greek was not actually killed...but for all intents and purposes he was dead as he was completely ostracized from society.

If those who claim they are outraged genuinely show their outrage by refusing to by the product or they are rioting at games, etc. Then I would be all for firing the person. But more often than not, it's just not the case. We've allowed people to 'protest' in the laziest way possible and that has created a society that becomes more sensitive and irrational instead of a society that actually thinks and takes situations on a case-by-case basis.

YR

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Ok, I lol'd.

Nah, I don't believe we have more racists than non-racists out there. But, I gotta tell you, the racists make it hard for folks to just move on. Because just when you think you're past it, you see stuff happening that has racist overtones written all over it...and what makes folks so angry (speaking generally) is that when you see it, you're told to move on...or it's just one guy, he's a moron, send him to sensitivity training and all is forgiven. And it's hard to do that, because guys like Cooper just don't say stuff like that, with such ease, and then say it was just a one-off. That's just not believable to me. I'm not in the business of walking in crap and thinking it smells like roses.

Fair observations. I think that everybody probably has issues with just walking on and that's not new. There once was a fella a long time ago who recommended we turn the other cheek and you see what that advice got him.

Let me ask you this. Do you feel like because many feel as you do, that gives these few racially charged individuals power over us? A relatively few individuals, a small voice in our Country has power over us accomplishing what might be the greatest thing any country in the history of our existence has ever accomplished. A Country that is free of racial divide. What would that be like and what could we accomplish if we simply allowed ourselves to move on to that?

I don't think we're all that different in our opinions on things. But where we differ is believing that that are other factors other than the individuals involved when dictating the racial divide in this country. I'm not sure what orgs you think have the power to dictate those things, but I'm a big believer in putting the onus on the individuals when it comes to stuff like this, except when they are in positions of power.

Mainly, I'm talking about Political Groups, Hate Groups, even Activist Groups, the media. I don't believe this is Apolitical behavior. I think you see it on both sides if your willing to trust what you see. Racism and racial activism in this country is a very lucrative business because it plays on strong emotional issues.

If your answer to the first question I asked is yes, then would it not seem prudent to provide as little attention to these individuals as possible? Their weapon is attention. Through that, they can create sensationalism and that leads to division. If we just laugh at the funny man and focus on bettering our own lives, would that not be a better use of our resources?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.