No sense of urgency to bring veteran QB

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
I was one of the few who was happy with the idea of staying put with Moore as the backup. I think it's a bigger loss than most want to acknowledge. With that being said, I think you should always try to find ways to transform obvious negative scenarios into opportunities if you can. I think the easiest way of doing that is exactly what the Cowboys are doing now.

At this point the best thing to do is to see what these two young guys have. To me this is all about Showers. You know they're keeping Dak. The million dollar question becomes "is Showers good enough to keep two young QBs behind Tony". There is only one way of finding out ... drown these two guys with snaps. If after 2 preseason games in you don't like what you see you go after a veteran's veteran as Stephen Jones would put it. To me that's not someone like McCown , but someone like Hasselbeck that has seen everything and come play in just about any system without being shell-shocked. My 2 cents.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
They failed miserably this offseason too in not replacing Moore. And they certainly can't expect a rookie 4th rd qb to come in and do anything if asked right away. I looked back to 2000 and Russell Wilson was basically the only rookie qb drafted round 3 or later which had any impact his rookie season. I'm sure it's the hardest position to play immediately.
I agree.

But the learning curve is more steep in Dallas.

Nobody seems to be able to learn this offense at all.

All the way back to Quincy and Bledsoe.

That's a lot of QBs that flat failed.

I just think there is something wrong.

Romo has developed a style of QB with his calling plays at the line and scrambling in the pocket that is beyond anybody copying.

But we have to make something work if Romo is out.

What that is..I don't know.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
What is up with Wilson taking an indefinate leave of absence. Isnt now the most critical time for the QB coach to be there ???
Either - he disagrees with what they are doing/not doing and left. They disagree with what he is doing/not doing and said leave. Or, there is some sort of family emergency.
But any way you slice it, its yet another stick in the eye for this franchise.
Who is getting the two young guys ready now ? Garrett ?
Jesus ...

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
What is up with Wilson taking an indefinate leave of absence. Isnt now the most critical time for the QB coach to be there ???
Either - he disagrees with what they are doing/not doing and left. They disagree with what he is doing/not doing and said leave. Or, there is some sort of family emergency.
Jesus ...

Romo is the better qb coach as we know of anyone on the coaching staff.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
For them he was.
Unfortunately. If the team really wants to win now and get a SB title before Romo is done then they should have gotten a vet to back him up in case he misses a few games. Going with 2 QBs with no NFL experience was dumb. And Moore has practically none. If they honestly realize that no other QB can run their system besides Romo then that's on the coaches.

Cowboy_Shawn

Reaction score
This is one of the very few times where I agree with Jerry. The Cowboys need to save their draft picks. No sense trading away picks for backup QBs who are likely no better than guys like Weeden and Cassel.

We did that last year and how did that work out for us?

If Romo gets hurt again the season is over. Period. Especially with a guy like Garrett at head coach.

Romo is talented enough to make up for a lot of Garrett's shortcomings. Whereas QBs like Vick and McCown will likely fair no better than the 2015 Cowboys backups.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Josh McCowan is a pro and probably an upgrade over Weeden, Cassel and Moore, but Dallas have zero reason to throw away picks for him. Wait out the Browns and Jets someone will come available.

Exactly, McCowan has a salary of 4.3 Million and the Browns aren't going to pay that for him to be on the roster as the 3rd string QB. And no one is going to give up a draft pick for the privilege of paying him 4.3 Million.

The real issue is negotiating with McCowan's agent after he gets cut - or maybe if he will restructure his contract if they do give up a conditional pick.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
This is one of the very few times where I agree with Jerry. The Cowboys need to save their draft picks. No sense trading away picks for backup QBs who are likely no better than guys like Weeden and Cassel.

We did that last year and how did that work out for us?

If Romo gets hurt again the season is over. Period. Especially with a guy like Garrett at head coach.

Romo is talented enough to make up for a lot of Garrett's shortcomings. Whereas QBs like Vick and McCown will likely fair no better than the 2015 Cowboys backups.

save their picks for what?.......we have a gigantic need right now and any draft pick is a gamble a year from now

CCBoy

Reaction score
Jesus ...

Not everything happening around the Cowboys is incompetence on rollers...think?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Brown want a mid round pick, most likely a 4th.

that is the cost of doing business....we were going to give our 34th and 68th for Lynch

a late 4th got us Dak this year who just isn't ready yet...the costs for competent QB work are high

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
that is the cost of doing business....we were going to give our 34th and 68th for Lynch

a late 4th got us Dak this year who just isn't ready yet...the costs for competent QB work are high
Frankly I thought it would be higher than that. We're desperate and they know it.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

Not the cost for the Joneses. Vets will get cut soon.

ragman

Reaction score
Jesus ...

According to today's Dallas Morning News, he had missed the last 2 days because of a foot infection. He was supposed to be back today.