No sense of urgency to bring veteran QB

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Too much emphasis on backup QB, honestly, who cares. If Romo goes down, doesnt matter who goes in. Were done.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Too much emphasis on backup QB, honestly, who cares. If Romo goes down, doesnt matter who goes in. Were done.

Sad but true. There are very few backup QBs in the league that can even tread water when replacing the starter. And there are fewer starting caliber QBs in the league than starting positions.

Macnalty

Reaction score
For once I agree with the FO. You can sign the trash off the street or overpay for trash that is on somebodies roster, neither are appealing. See what the other two have to offer and what else develops.
The final results compared to our Backup QB's last year inspire little confidence. I so agree unless we can pick up someone who is reasonable I would rather go with a limited offense if Romo is out for a short time, if he is out long term the two rooks work in our favor(thinking draft slot for QB in this years draft). We have the stoutest oline in the league surely we can perfect the handoff to EE or one of the others and drag the game out so the defense is off the field. This oline is special and a bus driver should be able to park a couple of wins.

rpntex

Reaction score

If he goes down for an extended period of time, yes. If he goes down for 1-4 games, that position is critical.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
You're talking about a fan base that at one point saw some redeeming value in Quincy Carter.

There was value in Carter. Parcells saw it. Carter had a lot of athletic skills, but never had the maturity to handle being a starting NFL quarterback. With better maturity, he absolutely could have been a successful NFL quarterback, at least as a backup. The thing is, you can almost never predict if a new prospect is going to have or develop enough maturity to be a starting QB. Even Parcells, a HOF coach with all his experience, couldn't. Parcells also didn't know that Romo would. No one did. In short, no one's an idiot for seeing potential in Carter. He did have potential.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
There was value in Carter. Parcells saw it. Carter had a lot of athletic skills, but never had the maturity to handle being a starting NFL quarterback. With better maturity, he absolutely could have been a successful NFL quarterback, at least as a backup. The thing is, you can almost never predict if a new prospect is going to have or develop enough maturity to be a starting QB. Even Parcells, a HOF coach with all his experience, couldn't. Parcells also didn't know that Romo would. No one did. In short, no one's an idiot for seeing potential in Carter. He did have potential.

Yes Carter was thrown in as a starter his rookie year. He should have sat for at least 2 years.

chicago JK

Reaction score
While that is true if Romo needs to miss the season that this team will not be a factor. What happens if we are 6-3 and Romo gets hurt and needs to miss 3-4 weeks. Can our backup go 2-2 to keep the ship afloat? Last year the answer was a strong no. Last year was a mess anyway, but there were plenty of opportunities to secure a few wins to give us some hope for a Romo return.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
What is up with Wilson taking an indefinate leave of absence. Isnt now the most critical time for the QB coach to be there ???
Either - he disagrees with what they are doing/not doing and left. They disagree with what he is doing/not doing and said leave. Or, there is some sort of family emergency.
But any way you slice it, its yet another stick in the eye for this franchise.
Who is getting the two young guys ready now ? Garrett ?
Jesus ...

He's a diabetic dealing with a foot infection.

Deep_South

Reaction score
PFT quotes Jerry on the prospects of picking up a vet, and he said we may very well be standing pat. So the urgency of finding one may have disappeared entirely.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
While I believe that the FO erred in not addressing QB2 in the first round of FA, I am glad that we are not wasting a pick or depth player on just any vet. At this point, it is prudent to ensure resources are not wasted on someone that would put us in a only marginally better position.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
While I believe that the FO erred in not addressing QB2 in the first round of FA, I am glad that we are not wasting a pick or depth player on just any vet. At this point, it is prudent to ensure resources are not wasted on someone that would put us in a only marginally better position.

When you have a gaping hole on your roster and you use a future draft pick to fill it, that is not wasting a pick....most late round picks don't even work out.....

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
When you have a gaping hole on your roster and you use a future draft pick to fill it, that is not wasting a pick....most late round picks don't even work out.....

We only have 6 picks next year and a whole lot of holes. I'd prefer not to burn one on someone who may be cut anyway.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
We only have 6 picks next year and a whole lot of holes. I'd prefer not to burn one on someone who may be cut anyway.

We have had a ton of picks the last 3 years and still have a bunch of "holes"......I would rather make this year's team better than worry about some late round pick next April