Video: Noah Brown Blocking Video

eromeopolk

Reaction score
We drafted Noah before we realized what we did and didn't have in Dak. Noah was supposed to be a bargain basement Dez. Big bodied, high pointing player.

One reason we got rid of Dez was his poor fit with Dak. Garage Sale Dez is no better of a fit, and for the same reasons.

Rico is another guy hurt by us moving on from Tony.

The alley oop pass just isn't Dak's game. Sorry.

And it's unclear that it's even Noah's game. At least we have the reports that Tony and Rico were killing it on the scout team. Anyone hear any consistent praise for the actual *receiving* part of Noah's game? Not me.
I disagree. Dez and Rico were injured 2016 and 2017 so they could never developed chemistry and playing time with Dak. Witten who was not injured and developed chemistry with Dak stats was pretty much the same over his last 4-5 years as it was with Romo. If Dez and Rico were healthy for OTA's ,training camp, and the season, they would have developed chemistry and performed to expectations.

Noah Brown was never drafted to replace or even remind anyone of replacing Dez Bryant. Dez had more speed, athleticism, better hands, and explosion than Brown.

Noah is an H-Back that has not been utilized in that roll effectively in anyway, shape, or form.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Breaking....there's more than one team in the NFL.

We were talking about the Cowboys...

For 2018 I looked at all playoffs teams and all NFC East teams (At least 14 teams):
2 teams 5th WR with 9 or more.
Zero teams 6th WR with 9 or more.

Most teams top 10 players in targets/catches:
4 WRs
2 TEs
2 RBs

On average the 11th could be 3rd TE, 3rd RB or 5th WR.

I reviewed this from my phone but I could do a spreadsheet of all teams and WRs; however, it seems obvious that 5th and 6th WRs don't get many receiving opportunities.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
We were talking about the Cowboys...

For 2018 I looked at all playoffs teams and all NFC East teams (At least 14 teams):
2 teams 5th WR with 9 or more.
Zero teams 6th WR with 9 or more.

Most teams top 10 players in targets/catches:
4 WRs
2 TEs
2 RBs

On average the 11th could be 3rd TE, 3rd RB or 5th WR.

I reviewed this from my phone but I could do a spreadsheet of all teams and WRs; however, it seems obvious that 5th and 6th WRs don't get many receiving opportunities.
I looked it up earlier today.....youre trying to hard to be right. Put up the numbers for all of the NFL teams. Again I already have looked it up but wanna see what you come up with next....

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I looked it up earlier today.....youre trying to hard to be right. Put up the numbers for all of the NFL teams. Again I already have looked it up but wanna see what you come up with next....

We’re only talking about how the Cowboys use their bottom roster WRs anyway. How other teams use theirs is irrelevant to how we should structure our own roster or to what we’re likely to do at WR.

Reactions: BAT

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
For a team that prides itself on being physical and wearing other teams out, it’s going to take a lot to replace brown at the bottom of the WR depth chart.

As others have said, whoever is in that last WR spot isn’t going to see a whole lot of passes coming their way in any case. Brown provides something unique in a hybrid WR/H-Back guy who can help wear down a defense. The team likes having that I think.

It’s just my opinion but I don’t think any of the young guys can push him off of the team and out of that unique role. Speaking for myself, I like having a big, physical guy that can take a DB out with his physical style of play.

Reactions: BAT

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I disagree. Dez and Rico were injured 2016 and 2017 so they could never developed chemistry and playing time with Dak. Witten who was not injured and developed chemistry with Dak stats was pretty much the same over his last 4-5 years as it was with Romo. If Dez and Rico were healthy for OTA's ,training camp, and the season, they would have developed chemistry and performed to expectations.

Noah Brown was never drafted to replace or even remind anyone of replacing Dez Bryant. Dez had more speed, athleticism, better hands, and explosion than Brown.

Noah is an H-Back that has not been utilized in that roll effectively in anyway, shape, or form.

Witten's yards per target significantly dropped when Romo wasn't the one throwing him the ball.

I just responded to someone calling Noah "Dez Lite". That's what plenty of people *said* he was.

Jarwin is an h-back. No Threat Noah is a not good WR who blocks well *for a wr*.

erod

Reaction score
Brown is huge for a receiver, and they love his blocking ability. They need too make a tight end out of him.

Forget Rico and convert Brown.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Brown is huge for a receiver, and they love his blocking ability. They need too make a tight end out of him.

Forget Rico and convert Brown.
Same thing I said earlier and everyone said he was to small for TE.. I think he would make a good TE. A nightmare to cover for the line backers or DE..

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Name the teams with a 6th WR getting more than 9 targets.

If you're correct I'll agree.

As stated previously I just reviewed 14 teams.

For @ldgit 's original point we really need the average for all 5th WRs and the average for all 6th WRs (5th and 6th based on season target and/or catch stats. i.e. Brandon Marshall 5th in catches for Seattle but not really a 5th WR type by other definitions).

Prior to reviewing 5th/6th WRs for this discussion I had no idea of the exact numbers for those types of players with other teams.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He has a leg up on the other young guys being one of our best ST player. He continues to improve his route running and timing then he is a shoo in over the competition.
I think the top 3 are obvious locks with Brown likely to make the team. With Austin, right now we dont have a PR. So if one doesnt emerge he will probably make it. It could come down to guys like Wilson, Guyton, Hurns, Johnson or Smith being good enough to force a 6th roster spot of a WR

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Just my opinion but I'd say Brown is an exceptional blocker and a less than average receiver, at best. What eventually happens when the Turk comes calling is anyone's guess. I can and will live with the staff's decision, when the time comes for it to be made.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I put reception data for all teams into a spreadsheet.
Extracted the reception data for only WRs.
Sorted each team's WR receptions from most to least.
Assigned rank from 1st to last WR based on number of receptions.​

Results:
23 of 64 possible 5th/6th WRs with over 9 receptions.

However, some starter type players or top 4 WRs ended up in the 5th/6th group because they missed games due to injury or changed teams. Example, Brandon LaFell ended up in the 5th/6th group because he only played 6 games for the Raiders; however, he started 5 of 6 games and his projected receptions over 16 games put him in the top 4.

I used projected receptions for these starter type players that didn't play 16 games and resorted.

Results (After adjusting for Starter Type WRs):
16 of 64 possible 5th/6th WRs with over 9 receptions.

5th/6th WRs with over 9 receptions:
Marvin Hall .................. 10 ........ Atlanta Falcons
Andre Holmes ............. 12 ........ Buffalo Bills
Torrey Smith ................ 17 ........ Carolina Panthers
Cody Core ................... 13 ........ Cincinnati Bengals
Damion Ratley ............. 13 ........ Cleveland Browns
Tim Patrick ................... 23 ........ Denver Broncos
TJ Jones ...................... 19 ........ Detroit Lions
Andy Jones .................. 11 ........ Detroit Lions
Zach Pascal ................. 27 ........ Indianapolis Colts
Cordarrelle Patterson ... 21 ........ New England Patriots
Russell Shepard ........... 10 ........ New York Giants