Video: Noah Brown Blocking Video

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Except that Brown isn't a WR, he's a teeny tiny blocking TE. Is he really a more useful blocker than our TEs?
If he's blocking a DB compared to one of our TEs blocking a LB, that's probably to our advantage. If teams were replacing a DB with a LB when Brown came on the field, your point would be valid, but I don't think that's the case (caveat - I don't have the data to back that up). If we put in a TE instead you can bet a LB is replacing a DB on the defensive side.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he's blocking a DB compared to one of our TEs blocking a LB, that's probably to our advantage. If teams were replacing a DB with a LB when Brown came on the field, your point would be valid, but I don't think that's the case (caveat - I don't have the data to back that up). If we put in a TE instead you can bet a LB is replacing a DB on the defensive side.

The Giants used 3 LBs vs 2 TEs here. The TEs are Jarwin and Swaim.

Jarwin evolved as the receiving TE with Swaim then Schultz as the blocking TEs (Rico used more in 3 TE sets).

If they were going to play Nickel against 2 TEs it would be with Jarwin as one of the TEs.

Obviously they played Nickel in the video of Brown.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
The Giants used 3 LBs vs 2 TEs here. The TEs are Jarwin and Swaim.

Jarwin evolved as the receiving TE with Swaim then Schultz as the blocking TEs (Rico used more in 3 TE sets).

If they were going to play Nickel against 2 TEs it would be with Jarwin as one of the TEs.

Obviously they played Nickel in the video of Brown.

In most cases I'd take Jarwin as a passing game option against a 4-3 alignment. That's generally going to be a good passing match up. If you take Jarwin out and put Brown in, and the D goes nickel, that's usually a better running match up. If the Cowboys go 12 and Brown is one of the receivers, he's probably going against a DB anyway, so again, advantage offense in the running game. The point in the initial video about Brown owning DBs as a blocker shows the value he has as a WR that the common fan seems to overlook.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In most cases I'd take Jarwin as a passing game option against a 4-3 alignment. That's generally going to be a good passing match up. If you take Jarwin out and put Brown in, and the D goes nickel, that's usually a better running match up. If the Cowboys go 12 and Brown is one of the receivers, he's probably going against a DB anyway, so again, advantage offense in the running game. The point in the initial video about Brown owning DBs as a blocker shows the value he has as a WR that the common fan seems to overlook.

The other player that can block DBs but that defenses will defend with a DB instead of LB is Tony Pollard (when he's not the primary RB).

Pollard's not powerful like Brown but he did a lot of "lead" blocking for Darrell Henderson. Pollard blocked when aligned as both a WR and as an H-Back/2nd RB.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
The other player that can block DBs but that defenses will defend with a DB instead of LB is Tony Pollard (when he's not the primary RB).

Pollard's not powerful like Brown but he did a lot of "lead" blocking for Darrell Henderson. Pollard blocked when aligned as both a WR and as an H-Back/2nd RB.
I'll have to take your word for it, I haven't seen enough Pollard tape to know any different. That would be nice. Scheme matters, but taking advantage of mismatches is where most hay is made in the league.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If he's blocking a DB compared to one of our TEs blocking a LB, that's probably to our advantage. If teams were replacing a DB with a LB when Brown came on the field, your point would be valid, but I don't think that's the case (caveat - I don't have the data to back that up).

I don't think they *have* been putting a LB on No Threat Noah, but they *should* be. Keeping Noah is banking on them continuing to be stupid.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

I'd much rather have Pollard take that "small blocker" role than No Threat Noah. Pollard *is* a threat to run and catch.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Except Smith had been in the league 4 years and had a vet minimum salary that was almost double what you'd pay a back roster rookie replacement, compared to Brown who's only been in the league two seasons so far. Smith is exactly the case I was talking about above where it makes sense to let him walk if you think you can find a comparable player. Though in this case, they actually invested a fairly significant pick at RB in the draft in order to upgrade that spot.

Brown can get beat out, like any other bottom-of-the-roster player. But it will be for a guy who gives you something comparable on ST and, secondarily, on offense and not in favor of a guy who runs 'better' routes or has better hands. It'll be because you can get a comparable player for the snaps he'll actually play, for cheaper, elsewhere.
We needed a true back up RB that was not just good in ST. This is not debatable as Stephen flat out said it.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
We drafted Noah before we realized what we did and didn't have in Dak. Noah was supposed to be a bargain basement Dez. Big bodied, high pointing player.

One reason we got rid of Dez was his poor fit with Dak. Garage Sale Dez is no better of a fit, and for the same reasons.

Rico is another guy hurt by us moving on from Tony.

The alley oop pass just isn't Dak's game. Sorry.

And it's unclear that it's even Noah's game. At least we have the reports that Tony and Rico were killing it on the scout team. Anyone hear any consistent praise for the actual *receiving* part of Noah's game? Not me.
Randall Williams ll....not nearly as fast, tho.

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
We needed a true back up RB that was not just good in ST. This is not debatable as Stephen flat out said it.
There's a difference between a number 2 runningback and a number 6 receiver. The number 2 runningback will take a lot more offensive snaps than a number 6 receiver.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Which is why we spent a higher pick on it. I’m not debating it. I said the same thing myself.

For that reason it’s not the analogue you were trying to make for Noah Brown.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
There's a difference between a number 2 runningback and a number 6 receiver. The number 2 runningback will take a lot more offensive snaps than a number 6 receiver.
Your #2 RB needs to be able to play special teams just like the WR's at 4-6. This is pretty much the same thing as typically your back up RB and your back up WRs do not get as much run.....especially the RBs on the Cowboys.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Which is why we spent a higher pick on it. I’m not debating it. I said the same thing myself.

For that reason it’s not the analogue you were trying to make for Noah Brown.
Maybe you wanted me to mean something else or missed my point of other WR's being able to offer more than just blocking and special teams....but that was and is my overall point. Again if that is the case....Noah despite being one of the best blocking WRs in the NFL will not make the roster....again just my opinion.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe you wanted me to mean something else or missed my point of other WR's being able to offer more than just blocking and special teams....but that was and is my overall point. Again if that is the case....Noah despite being one of the best blocking WRs in the NFL will not make the roster....again just my opinion.

I’m not missing the point. I’m pointing out that it’s barely relevant because those players aren’t going to realistically get passed to anyway.

Noah Brown has *9* career receptions in two years. He played 245 ST snaps over that time and was one of our better ST players. You’re going to downgrade blocking on the offensive snaps where he’s not getting thrown to and downgrade ST coverage for a marginally ‘better’ receiver who’s going to get, what, 8 receptions total if he *doubles* Brown’s reception production next season? That’s not likely to happen.