Noah Brown catch Interference?

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
First, this shouldn't be about Linehan sucks, Garrett sucks, Noah sucks or Dak sucks. It's just analysis on a single play.

When you are a coach or an analyst you don't look at the pass interference first. You look at other parts of the play.

1. Design of the play establishes the concept and goals based on down, distance and prior play calls and defensive tendencies.
2. Fundamentals displayed?
3. Did the players execute their roles?
4. Were the correct reads made pre-snap?
5. Was the correct decision made as the play unfolded.
6. Now you begin looking at individual results.
a. Did all the players do their jobs?
b. Is Noah actually in the right place at the right time?
c. What is the situation right before the pass? What can Dak see?
d. What is Dak's footwork and release point like in the conditions of the pocket?

The reality for us fans is we can only really start our evaluations from 6c based on what we really know about the playbook, and the all the prior coaching sessions we are not a part of.

From the perspective of this short video I see:

1. Dak has a clean pocket. As clean as it gets in the NFL.
2. It's a pass on his throwing hand side. You got to like this.
3. Noah has all three defenders beaten. Bonus.
4. There is lots of space beyond Noah to the end zone. The throw started with Noah at the 10 and the end zone is 10 yards deep. Dak is right in the middle of the field based on him being around the upright post location. Pythagorean estimate is it about a 28 yard throw. This is a condition of your employment. As an NFL QB you have to be able to make a 28 yard throw to the corner of the end zone. This is an absolute must.
5. As a coach I would say to Dak look at the situation. You have time. It set up for the best situation for your fundamentals as a passer. You don't need to change arm angles. Perform your craft.
6. Put air under the ball and let a big guy like Noah, who has separation, run to the open for the ball.
7. It should be a TD.

Other thoughts. The pass and catch is the design of the play after the ball is snapped. The pass interference, although a reality of the play and was clearly pass interference, cannot be a design of the play from the beginning so it doesn't matter to the players, the coaches nor the team in regards to the play.

In this single play Dak has to capitalize on this opportunity. In a given NFL game there are only so many opportunities like this. When they appear you have to develop a reputation as a coffin nail driver. This is what will make opposing defences and DCs fear you. They can't make mistakes around you because you will make them pay for these mistakes consistently. Be a killer.

My two cents...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yoi must be really bored.
I design "programmable hardware" for electronics. Similar to software but much greater processing power. I've done projects from rocket guidance systems to real-time trading systems for big Wall Street companies medical electronics, video systems, etc.. I work from home about 3/4 of the time.

The program used to compile these projects takes about an hour to compile each time I test any changes. That hour passes much faster if I do something else while it's compiling.

If I spend all of that time doing other technical work my brain gets fried going back and forth between parallel design paths (i.e. I thought I changed something in one version but the change was actually in the other version of the project, etc.).

On most projects I get paid for work completed not by the hour or salary.

erod

Reaction score
No interference, just a terribly thrown ball on what should have been an easy touchdown.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Not trying to start a heavy debate, but I am confused about what is shown in this video.

From the NFL rule book...

ARTICLE 2. PROHIBITED ACTS BY BOTH TEAMS WHILE THE BALL IS IN THE AIR
Acts that are pass interference include, but are not limited to:

1. (a) Contact by a player who is not playing the ball that restricts the opponent’s opportunity to make the catch.
ARTICLE 3. PERMISSIBLE ACTS BY BOTH TEAMS WHILE THE BALL IS IN THE AIR
Acts that are permissible by a player include, but are not limited to:
1) When the ball is in the air, eligible offensive and defensive receivers have the same right to the path of the ball and are subject to the same restrictions.

There is litany of stuff after (a), but these points seems to me to be the crux of what looks like PI to me.

I don't believe the player turned his head in a meaningful way to make a play on the ball. Either to catch it or clearly swat it the ball. IMO it looks like the player is peeking at the 15 yard line, not head craned all the way 180 degrees and looking straight at the ball.

As for the line of the player he got caught. not just a little bit, but a lot. He was not only trailing, but running his arse off to catch up. His line was clearly beyond the path of the ball as he was in an all out catch up mode with a line to the end zone.

The ball was thrown short establishing a line and spot around the three yard line. Look at the defender and his stride from the 10 to the 5 yard line. Those are full paced strides. He is running.

By the six yard line Brown has already planted his foot and adjusting to the throw. I see the defender still running in a straight line well into the end zone based on line and stride.

My interpretation of this is the defender is clearly beaten, and is in panic mode. The collision, the head position and lack of any attempt to play or catch the ball shows he wasn't in the play and benefited greatly from colliding with Brown.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
xwalker isn't fooling anyone. He's trying to start another Dak thread about accuracy.

I do believe there is a clear case for opportunity from a better pass. This isn't about accuracy IMO. There was just an opportunity for a better type of pass. One with a bit more air underneath it that would have leveraged the clear separation gained by Brown.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just looked at it again about 10 times. Noah had his man beat but the pass was not really under thrown all the much, it was just off to the inside where Noah had to stop his route to go get the ball. But the defender ran into him because of that. To me Dak needed to lead it more to the right than the left and let Noah run to it for the catch.

It just was one of those things. And yes I seen Brady and Rodgers and others miss those type of throws as well.

Hopefully this is where Kitna can work with Dak to correct that type of stuff, as it happens more than it should. Well, seems to, maybe it doesn't. It still may happen, but not just as much if they can work it out.
But what in the heck do I know, it's only my opinion.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I design "programmable hardware" for electronics. Similar to software but much greater processing power. I've done projects from rocket guidance systems to real-time trading systems for big Wall Street companies medical electronics, video systems, etc.. I work from home about 3/4 of the time.

The program used to compile these projects takes about an hour to compile each time I test any changes. That hour passes much faster if I do something else while it's compiling.

If I spend all of that time doing other technical work my brain gets fried going back and forth between parallel design paths (i.e. I thought I changed something in one version but the change was actually in the other version of the project, etc.).

Lol!!! That's pretty cool! I still play Pong on my Atari.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
The poor pass by Dak is beside the point. It still should have been a PI flagged, you can't hit the WR before the ball get's there even if he is stopping to get a ball thrown poorly. The announcer actually mentioned the early hit between plays.
Defender isn’t playing the ball. That’s an obvious PI. It was a poorly thrown pass, as well, though.
Betcha' ol' head coach JASON GARRETT will be chucking his red challenge flag out on field when that 'stuff' goes down this season,,,er,,,probably along with 31 other Head Coaches in the league.

erod

Reaction score
I don't think the pass was inaccurate or terribly thrown. I think it was just the wrong type of throw.

It wasn't like it was sick wobbling duck in the air.
It's a touchdown if he leads him. Ball should have been picked off if the defender is paying attention.

408Cowboy

Reaction score

I'm curious about the hardware you use.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

Hey,did you happen to catch that header over on the drudge report the other day? It was something about certain software systems for that Boeing 737 jumbo jet having been "farmed out" to $9 per hour designers,,, er,,,ya,I didn't hit the click either,as the header pretty much relayed all that was pertinent to me.